[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your language is a bit imprecise ("being competitive for the last weekend"), but let's look at a couple of statistics, shall we?

Texas has made it to the CWS 38 times.  We were champions 6 times and runner-up 6 times.  This is a hit rate of 31.6%, or just under one "final weekend" appearance for every 3 trips to Omaha.  David Pierce has taken Texas to Omaha . . . 3 times.  He's not yet off that pace, although he's close.

For further color, Texas has made it to the CWS 38 times in 74 seasons since our first appearance in 1949.  This is a hit rate of 51.4%.  David Pierce has gotten us to Omaha 3 times in 6 seasons, or 50% of the time.  Just off the pace.

I don't think he's missed your "standard" by any measurable amount.  I'm sure you'll have some way to equivocate your way out of this, though.

I've lost confidence he can field a competitive team when in Omaha (defined as both expecting and making the last weekend). I think his track record supports that premise seven years in. you can disagree, that's fine. my reasons are both his performance on the field and issues off the field including but not limited to his decision to be the pitching coach this year and the results. I've lost confidence, why is that so hard to see as a reasonable view here?

We range from don't fire him regardless of what happens the next couple of weeks to let's do fire him regardless etc.

Either way, leaning on comparisons and past performances is ridiculous. Our current problems are self-inflicted, by the head guy. It's 100% on him - recruiting, training, coaching... all of it. Don't see any changes on the horizon.

The only thing I'd say would influence me to keep him is a trip to Omaha with a win or two and a decent showing. What it seems like he's delivered up to this point is "somewhat above average with occasional surprises, both good and bad".

That's too long for a plane banner or even a motto, but it's where we are. And it's not our standard, is it?

Yeah, I'm in the fire him camp. Is it possible he can pull out the rabbit? Yeah, but not very likely. We'll see. Y'all keep pissing on each others' opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, troph said:

I've lost confidence he can field a competitive team when in Omaha (defined as both expecting and making the last weekend). I think his track record supports that premise seven years in. you can disagree, that's fine. my reasons are both his performance on the field and issues off the field including but not limited to his decision to be the pitching coach this year and the results. I've lost confidence, why is that so hard to see as a reasonable view here?

I think it's fine to have the subjective viewpoint that DP won't get it done.  I myself am 100% sure he isn't the coach Augie was (but who is?).  I am not ready to say he can't field a competitive Omaha team, partly because I thought last year's team could have done some damage, and this year is just a clusterfuck of personnel issues (Witt, guys quitting, etc.).  

That said, when you propose a "standard" for the UT program and Pierce is meeting that standard, you're on shaky ground when you say he doesn't have what it takes.

Ironically, if we were somehow to make it to Omaha this year (obviously highly unlikely), and then make it to the final weekend (even more unlikely), he would end up BELOW our "standard" (1 final weekend in 4 trips).  We're dealing with small sample sizes here.

Somebody refresh my memory -- which coaches did we target who turned us down before we hired Pierce?  I've seen talk, but I don't know if it's solid information.

Edited by jimmyjazz
speling

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your language is a bit imprecise ("being competitive for the last weekend"), but let's look at a couple of statistics, shall we?

Texas has made it to the CWS 38 times.  We were champions 6 times and runner-up 6 times.  This is a hit rate of 31.6%, or just under one "final weekend" appearance for every 3 trips to Omaha.  David Pierce has taken Texas to Omaha . . . 3 times.  He's not yet off that pace, although he's close.

For further color, Texas has made it to the CWS 38 times in 74 seasons since our first appearance in 1949.  This is a hit rate of 51.4%.  David Pierce has gotten us to Omaha 3 times in 6 seasons, or 50% of the time.  Just off the pace.

I don't think he's missed your "standard" by any measurable amount.  I'm sure you'll have some way to equivocate your way out of this, though.

Success in the program is a combination of: cws titles, cws competitiveness, cws appearances, playoff wins, playoff appearances, conference titles, conference tournament performance, variance of performance from season to season, roster management, staff hiring and management, recruiting, development, player performance to potential, mlb placements, management competency, and culture.

The apologists keep zeroing in on cws appearances and ignore all these other areas where there has been performance below the program’s past standard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, troph said:

I don't disagree with much here, I was just participating in that line of discussion. But I think the idea of hiring someone with a better track record now than DP had at the time of his hiring is a method of trying to decipher the signal that someone else has a higher ceiling at Texas than DP, even if DP thus far has done better than them. Basically comparing the trajectory of their careers not at the same calendar date but at the same point in their careers. As to its merit, well, I have no position there and defer frankly to CDC as the AD who for the first time in my adult life has a great track record of hiring.

I think CDC will look at the merit  and think that it’s better to do less projecting. There is less risk involved in hiring a proven coach rather than a coach that seems to be on an upward trajectory and has a couple of flashes.  

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Success in the program is a combination of: cws titles, cws competitiveness, cws appearances, playoff wins, playoff appearances, conference titles, conference tournament performance, variance of performance from season to season, roster management, staff hiring and management, recruiting, development, player performance to potential, mlb placements, management competency, and culture.

The apologists keep zeroing in on cws appearances and ignore all these other areas where there has been performance below the program’s past standard. 

Jesus, @troph proposed the standard I was responding to.  Read.  And stop with the "apologists" pejorative.  Just as it's possible for you to think Pierce can't get it done, it's possible for me to think he might get it done.

4 hours ago, Horn80 said:

I’m ready for change but only if the right guy is available to be hired.  Unfortunately, aggy got that guy.

Then take him away. Perfect opportunity to re-assert the hierarchy. Win Win.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He can't. His only viewpoint is the simpleton angle of "we could do worse, look at football!".

You and the @Balcones Pierce dickrider are like the combined echeese chimera of the baseball board. Just looming like gargoyles over several threads, waiting to swoop in and shriek when anyone deigns to posit reasonably that Texas could and should do better than continue on with an aging, angry midget that can't get it done at the highest level. It's pathetic to watch. You guys should be relegated to a David Pierce Hagiographer thread where you can echochamber yourselves into masturbatory fanfic about the accomplishments of your tiny hero. 

Bakich or Canham could be had for roughly what Pierce makes or less. Both are in bad spots regarding team/conference alliances. Bakich resurrected Michigan and took them to the CWS finals, which Pierce hasn't done. He's young enough and he's an excellent recruiter and developer. Canham hasn't made it to the CWS yet, but he's won a regional and he's coaching a national seed this year, and he's 39 years old. People covering OSU have raved about him. 

People can talk about Vitello or other SEC coaches, but any SEC school trying to swipe a coach faces a path to success that is fraught with peril, risking public egg on the AD's face along the way. 

Lol what the fuck are you talking about. Take a chill pill. I have been one of his biggest vocal critics throughout the season. I was about ready to throw him out on the curb after the loss to UT Pan Am. That being said, we finished the year strong (against all odds) and the team pulled it together. Not sure how that makes me a dickrider to say that the guy might deserve another season if you can't find a homerun hire. I am in no way saying he is our savior, but he isnt Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart either. Get a grip. 

2 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Then take him away. Perfect opportunity to re-assert the hierarchy. Win Win.

Aggy will go Jimbo just to keep him from Texas.  But be fun to make them do it just to fuck with them.

4 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Aggy will go Jimbo just to keep him from Texas.  But be fun to make them do it just to fuck with them.

It would be glorious.  If it backfires, we get a guy who isn't any worse than Pierce.  If it doesn't backfire, we get them to spend money they wouldn't have otherwise spent.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lol what the fuck are you talking about. Take a chill pill. I have been one of his biggest vocal critics throughout the season. I was about ready to throw him out on the curb after the loss to UT Pan Am. That being said, we finished the year strong (against all odds) and the team pulled it together. Not sure how that makes me a dickrider to say that the guy might deserve another season if you can't find a homerun hire. I am in no way saying he is our savior, but he isnt Charlie Strong or Shaka Smart either. Get a grip. 

Your reading comprehension sucks and you have the sensitive nature of a teenage female. I’m not the one who needs a grip. 

You’ve taken equivocation to an art form in threads on this forum over the past few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The decision on Pierce will include not just wins and losses. This is why the apologist’s arguments of world series appearances is so weak. It demonstrates an incomplete understanding of his entire body of work. 

Like what else is in the body of work?  

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody refresh my memory -- which coaches did we target who turned us down before we hired Pierce?  I've seen talk, but I don't know if it's solid information.

Not sure of the order...

O'Sullivan (FL)

Schloss (TCU)

Corbin (Vandy)

At least one other or more...

Perrin (and others) botched that whole affair. Announced the stepping down/ firing of Augie during or right before or after regionals (while those teams are all in the mix for CWS) and those names were ALL leaked during that time and of course none showed interest (publicly) cuz they were in the race for a National title. ALL UT did was get them all nice fat raises from their schools.

I've recently been told (from someone close within the program) that Corbin was coming to Austin to ink a deal when he changed his mind at DFW and landed up returning to Nashville.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Like what else is in the body of work?  

There's a laundry list up above ^^^, some of which is hard to define ("culture", etc.).  But, if we're looking at things like conference titles, then 3 in 7 years (43%) is comparable to Augie's 7 in 20 years (35%).  Data, what some people are compelled to ignore to foster their subjective opinions.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's fine to have the subjective viewpoint that DP won't get it done.  I myself am 100% sure he isn't the coach Augie was (but who is?).  I am not ready to say he can't field a competitive Omaha team, partly because I thought last year's team could have done some damage, and this year is just a clusterfuck of personnel issues (Witt, guys quitting, etc.).  

That said, when you propose a "standard" for the UT program and Pierce is meeting that standard, you're on shaky ground when you say he doesn't have what it takes.

Ironically, if we were somehow to make it to Omaha this year (obviously highly unlikely), and then make it to the final weekend (even more unlikely), he would end up BELOW our "standard" (1 final weekend in 4 trips).  We're dealing with small sample sizes here.

The standard isn't subjective. the standard is make omaha 30-50% of the time, make the last weekend one out of 3 or 4 times you're there and generally be competitive in omaha (which means have a winning record in the series in addition to making the last weekend one out of 3 or 4 tries). he's only making one of those marks. and btw, this is the historical performance of Texas baseball since 19 fucking 50. there's absolutely nothing subjective about it.

What is subjective is concluding that he has hit his ceiling. I think he has based on his age, his past results, and the trajectory of the program right now.  Others do not agree he's hit his ceiling. That's ok I guess. up for debate.

The standard of what is acceptable for Texas baseball should not be up for debate, we have 80 freaking years of Texas baseball to define that. It should not be lowered, diminished, or apologized for.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

The standard isn't subjective. the standard is make omaha 30-50% of the time, make the last weekend one out of 3 or 4 times you're there and generally be competitive in omaha (which means have a winning record in the series in addition to making the last weekend one out of 3 or 4 tries). he's only making one of those marks. and btw, this is the historical performance of Texas baseball since 19 fucking 50. there's absolutely nothing subjective about it.

You're now adding to your standard (bolded red).  He hasn't missed your second mark (bolded blue), either, and you never said it before, but hey, if you can't at least be intellectually honest with yourself then I don't expect you to be intellectually honest with the rest of us.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're now adding to your standard (bolded red).  He hasn't missed your second mark (bolded blue), either, and you never said it before, but hey, if you can't at least be intellectually honest with yourself then I don't expect you to be intellectually honest with the rest of us.

no i haven't added i've explained. jesus. I've ALWAYS said or meant - meet the fucking historical standard of Texas baseball or GTFO. you said it was subjective so I spelled it out. but the standard is there it's in the fucking record books. this doesn't have to be hard.

you think he's meeting it or will, I think he's close but never will. that's pretty much the end of it. the rest is just arguing to argue which is annoying as fuck.

Edited by troph

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, troph said:

no i haven't added i've explained. jesus. I've ALWAYS said or meant - meet the fucking historical standard of Texas baseball or GTFO. this doesn't have to be hard.

For fuck's sake, this is what you said "the standard" is:

again, making the CWS is not the standard - making the CWS and being competitive for the last weekend is the standard.

That's it, according to superfan @troph.  You then elaborated on point 2 (which DP has not yet failed to meet) and added point 3.

Fuck it all, I'm tired of arguing with you about this.   You're being irrational (which is fine, but at least admit it).

Edited by jimmyjazz

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

For fuck's sake, this is what you said "the standard" is:

again, making the CWS is not the standard - making the CWS and being competitive for the last weekend is the standard.

That's it, according to superfan @troph.  You then elaborated on point 2 (which DP has not yet failed to meet) and added point 3.

Fuck it all, I'm tired of arguing with you about this.   You're being irrational (which is fine, but at least admit it).

you asked me what it meant, jesus christ can I not explain?  I added those points because you said it was subjective, the record books explain Texas makes the series and has been competive in the series consistently for 80 fucking years. you think my statement was subjective so I explained. I didn't change anything. the record book is the standard, period end of story.

mother of fucking god. STAHP.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I assumed if you make it to the CWS, everything below this has likely occurred.

Pierce's resume:

CWS Titles - 0.

CWS Competitiveness - 3-6 Record.  Third place finish.

CWS Appearances - 3 in 6 seasons

Playoff Wins (I assume this is regional and super regional) - 21-6

Playoff Appearances (I assume is the regionals) - 6 out of 7 seasons.

Conference Titles - Champs in 2018, 2021, 2023 and Runner-up in 2024

Conference Tournament performance - Runner-up in 2017 and 2022

Variance of performance season to season - Post season 6 out of 7 seasons?

Roster Management - ????

Staff Hiring and Management - ???  His staff has followed him at each place he has gone.  His peers have worked for him (Rod).  Alumni work for him (Street and Rupp). Pros work for him (Tulo). 

Recruiting - Top 10 classes for 3 years in a row now....

Development - Howser Award - Melendez, Golden Spikes Winner and/or Finalist - Melendez, Clemens, Madden, National Player of the Year - Clemens, All - Americans 2017 - Morgan Cooper, SP (Third Team), 2018 - Kody Clemens, 2B (First Team), 2020 - Bryce Elder, SP (Second Team), 2021 - Ty Madden, SP (First Team), 2022 - Ivan Melendez, 1B (First Team), Murphy Stehly, OF (Second Team), Pete Hansen, SP (Second Team), 2023 - Lucas Gordon, SP (First Team),  Lebarron Johnson Jr., SP (Second Team), Dylan Campbell, OF (Third Team), 

Conference Awards-  2018 Kody Clemens, 2B Player of the Year, David Pierce Coach of the Year, 2021 Ty Madden, P  Pitcher of the Year, David Pierce Coach of the Year, 2022 Ivan Melendez, 1B Player of the Year, 2023 Lucas Gordon, LHP Pitcher of the Year, 2024 Max Belyeu, OF Player of the Year

1 minute ago, Balcones said:

Pierce's resume:

CWS Titles - 0.

Roster Management - ????

Staff Hiring and Management - ???  His staff has followed him at each place he has gone.  His peers have worked for him (Rod).  Alumni work for him (Street and Rupp). Pros work for him (Tulo). 

Development - Howser Award - Melendez, Golden Spikes Winner and/or Finalist - Melendez, Clemens, Madden, National Player of the Year - Clemens, All - Americans 2017 - Morgan Cooper, SP (Third Team), 2018 - Kody Clemens, 2B (First Team), 2020 - Bryce Elder, SP (Second Team), 2021 - Ty Madden, SP (First Team), 2022 - Ivan Melendez, 1B (First Team), Murphy Stehly, OF (Second Team), Pete Hansen, SP (Second Team), 2023 - Lucas Gordon, SP (First Team),  Lebarron Johnson Jr., SP (Second Team), Dylan Campbell, OF (Third Team), 

Conference Awards-  2018 Kody Clemens, 2B Player of the Year, David Pierce Coach of the Year, 2021 Ty Madden, P  Pitcher of the Year, David Pierce Coach of the Year, 2022 Ivan Melendez, 1B Player of the Year, 2023 Lucas Gordon, LHP Pitcher of the Year, 2024 Max Belyeu, OF Player of the Year

And still couldn’t win the conference, sad 

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I added those points because you said it was subjective,

I said no such thing.  I essentially said it was fine to be of the opinion that DP isn't the long term solution.  Objectively, he's pretty much in line with Texas "standards" given his short tenure.  Go back and read my post.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m talking this year. What was it 9 all big 12 players across both first and second team and player of the year but couldn’t win a shitty big 12? Pathetic actually 

He was runner-up.  I believe we call that "being competitive" around here.

4 minutes ago, Balcones said:

He was runner-up. 

3rd.  We got inched out by OSU on a stupid Big XII tiebreak rule (win% instead of head-to-head), as they played 2 fewer conference games than we did.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I said no such thing.  I essentially said it was fine to be of the opinion that DP isn't the long term solution.  Objectively, he's pretty much in line with Texas "standards" given his short tenure.  Go back and read my post.

his "short tenure"?  8 calendar years, 7 seasons isn't a short tenure.

objectively he's pretty much in line with Texas "standards" - from balcones:

CWS Titles - 0.

yeah nah bro. you just arguing to argue. 

Indiferenca Whatever GIF by Becky G

6 minutes ago, petscii said:

Are you dorks really going to argue and ruin the best time of the year?   It's regional time and Texas is playing!  You can have the entire off-season to be lemonheads.

life complain GIF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

his "short tenure"?  8 calendar years, 7 seasons isn't a short tenure.

objectively he's pretty much in line with Texas "standards" - from balcones:

yeah nah bro. you just arguing to argue. 

Indiferenca Whatever GIF by Becky G

Ha!  This is coming from Mr. Show Your Work.   I actually show my work and get met with Michelle Obama?

In Pierce's 7 seasons, who has won the CWS, by year?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Ha!  This is coming from Mr. Show Your Work.   I actually show my work and get met with Michelle Obama?

In Pierce's 7 seasons, who has won the CWS, by year?

I don't understand half your post. I've been showing my work the whole thread. You think he meets the standards, I've repeatedly said I can respect that if you think he hasn't reached his ceiling. I think he has, it's close but not good enough. sucks but it is what it is. if you're right then we should be in the final weekend in the next 2-3 years. I hope you're right.  I really do.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus, @troph proposed the standard I was responding to.  Read.  And stop with the "apologists" pejorative.  Just as it's possible for you to think Pierce can't get it done, it's possible for me to think he might get it done.

That’s exactly what an apologist would say. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

David Pierce's CWS record:

3 appearances

3-6 combined record

0-2 twice, 3-2 once

losses with scores of 11-5 // 6-1 // 7-3 // 10-2

That's NOT competitive.

/I'm out

Hook 'Em

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Pierce's resume:

CWS Titles - 0.

Roster Management - ????

This is good work, now do back to 1902 for each coach.  JK. Kind of. Not Really.

Ok, look at the problem differently. When was the last time there was a big disagreement between knowledgeable Surlytons regarding a coach who had been here several years, and that coach went on to achieve long-term success at Texas? And I'm not talking about dipshits at Orangebloods or other casual fans and their views. There will always be idiots. There are probably people who hated Gus.

Charlie Strong was always controversial.  Herman became controversial pretty quick. Shaka lost his support a few years into his tenure. Karen or Gail the women's bball coaches. Swimming, volleyball, tennis, soccer, track? I can't think of one coach at Texas who became controversial on whether he/she was performing well enough who eventually demonstrated he/she was the right choice moving forward and had significant success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok, look at the problem differently. When was the last time there was a big disagreement between knowledgeable Surlytons regarding a coach who had been here several years, and that coach went on to achieve long-term success at Texas? And I'm not talking about dipshits at Orangebloods or other casual fans and their views. There will always be idiots. There are probably people who hated Gus.

Charlie Strong was always controversial.  Herman became controversial pretty quick. Shaka lost his support a few years into his tenure. Karen or Gail the women's bball coaches. Swimming, volleyball, tennis, soccer, track? I can't think of one coach at Texas who became controversial on whether he/she was performing well enough who eventually demonstrated he/she was the right choice moving forward and had significant success. 

There was a strong contingent who thought Augie should have been gone after his DUI.    *I* wanted Augie fired before 1998 (and I was 100% wrong about that)

There has been stupid online since they wired up all the trailer parks to the Internet...

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

DP has been controversial since he was hired. 

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic