[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Y’all are derka-ing each other. 
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Not really, I said multiple times there was legit rationale to disagree with me, I even said I respected those that disagree with me more than once. actually read the posts that he came out and blasted me for, they were reasoned and nuanced. I left the conversation last night, and I'm not engaging with him again. that's not derka-ing.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Not really, I said multiple times there was legit rationale to disagree with me, I even said I respected those that disagree with me more than once. actually read the posts that he came out and blasted me for, they were reasoned and nuanced. I left the conversation last night, and I'm not engaging with him again. that's not derka-ing.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

DP has been controversial since he was hired. 

Probably put Sark in there as well and going 5-7 in his first season sure didn’t help. 

Edited by Levi

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok, look at the problem differently. When was the last time there was a big disagreement between knowledgeable Surlytons regarding a coach who had been here several years, and that coach went on to achieve long-term success at Texas? And I'm not talking about dipshits at Orangebloods or other casual fans and their views. There will always be idiots. There are probably people who hated Gus.

Charlie Strong was always controversial.  Herman became controversial pretty quick. Shaka lost his support a few years into his tenure. Karen or Gail the women's bball coaches. Swimming, volleyball, tennis, soccer, track? I can't think of one coach at Texas who became controversial on whether he/she was performing well enough who eventually demonstrated he/she was the right choice moving forward and had significant success. 

Well, depending how you define "surlytons", Mack Brown?  Plenty of people wanted him gone at various points in the 5-game losing streak to OU  (2000-2004).  The win over Michigan where Vince had his national coming out party started to really turn that perception, and obviously the 2005 season clinched it.  We were still a national power 4 years after that title game.

That was the age of "hornfans", I believe.  Websites run together.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

Probably put Sark in there as well and going 5-7 in his first season sure didn’t help. 

Yea but I think more people bought into the idea of Sark. His initial performances were the problem.

Most fans, myself included, did not want DP hired to begin with for many reasons.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea but I think more people bought into the idea of Sark. His initial performances were the problem.

Most fans, myself included, did not want DP hired to begin with for many reasons.

I dunno, there were a lot of people that felt Sark was a “hope” hire. He wasn’t overly successful at any point being a head coach and then of course he had his demons. We were hoping Sark hadn’t met his full potential and learned how to run a program under Saban but there wasn’t anything concrete. Obviously he’s turned out to be an excellent hire. I do agree tho that Sark had more in the boat at the beginning than Pierce. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Levi said:

I dunno, there were a lot of people that felt Sark was a “hope” hire. He wasn’t overly successful at any point being a head coach and then of course he had his demons. We were hoping Sark hadn’t met his full potential and learned how to run a program under Saban but there wasn’t anything concrete. Obviously he’s turned out to be an excellent hire. I do agree tho that Sark had more in the boat at the beginning than Pierce. 

I had already been through the Sark train-derailment at UW.  I thought Seven win Steve was funny and apt.  I'm sure week 5 of this season he'll be on the hot seat again.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, petscii said:

I had already been through the Sark train-derailment at UW.  I thought Seven win Steve was funny and apt.  I'm sure week 5 of this season he'll be on the hot seat again.

Why though? This Texas team for 2024 is arguably more talented than last years and he’s recruited better than any coach since early 2000s Mack. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Levi said:

hence why I qualified my statement by saying, for coaches who had been here for several years, and not coaches early in their tenure. The skepticism about Sark and DP early-on is a different scenario.

47 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Are you just not capable of ever admitting to being wrong?

Is that question directed at 99% of Surly posters? It is, isn't it?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, petscii said:

Are you dorks really going to argue and ruin the best time of the year?   It's regional time and Texas is playing!  You can have the entire off-season to be lemonheads.

As long as it is confined here and doesn't creep into the game threads like it did all season, let them keep arguing about something that nobody here has any idea what is going to happen.  I'm out unless CDC decides to start posting in the thread.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

As long as it is confined here and doesn't creep into the game threads like it did all season, let them keep arguing about something that nobody here has any idea what is going to happen.  I'm out unless CDC decides to start posting in the thread.

you have my word, I won't. I want Texas to win no exceptions. I go into every post season hoping for the storybook ending. that goes back to childhood and every instance since. Regional Ray comes to mind, in the end these kids are competitors, I'm hoping they step up and find that Texas magic.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Is that question directed at 99% of Surly posters? It is, isn't it?

Guilty, but I would cheerfully admit error if I ever made one. 

Well... not cheerfully, exactly.

Maybe not at all.

Okay, guilty.

Pierce has only gotten one top 8 national seed during his time here in 2021. 

But despite that has made it to Omaha 3 out of five previous appearances in the tournament.

So let's see if he has another run in him. 

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

One of my biggest frustrations with the game threads is that things like the head coaching position and regional prospects become big topics of conversation instead of, you know, what we are actually doing at that moment. Like yes I get that winning this early season tournament, midweek game, weekend series, or (shudder) conference tournament are not nearly as important as who is head coach or what might happen in June but it is what Texas is playing for right now and so can we talk about that in the game thread please?

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

One of my biggest frustrations with the game threads is that things like the head coaching position and regional prospects become big topics of conversation instead of, you know, what we are actually doing at that moment. Like yes I get that winning this early season tournament, midweek game, weekend series, or (shudder) conference tournament are not nearly as important as who is head coach or what might happen in June but it is what Texas is playing for right now and so can we talk about that in the game thread please?

Yeah, well, you're discussing game threads in the FIRE DAVID PIERCE thread, so who's overstepping boundaries here, huh?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

I promised not to muck up any game threads so I won't and that includes the college station regional. Go horns. That said, this is a really bad take, sorry balcones, I nearly threw up reading it. it's nothing close to an okay performance this year. Texas should have a top 25 pitching staff year in and year out, frankly I'd argue top 10 but that's because Texas is a top 10 program. I'd say top 5 but some of y'all don't like it when we take the participation trophies away. this year's results is exactly why he needs to go.

Pierce gets hammered for being the pitching coach and then narrative goes hard on him.  Fact is, this staff is ranked 45th in country in ERA.  I'm not saying that is great (or Texas standard), but certainly not our worst ever (go look at 1996-2000 -  6+ team ERAs).  There are only 9 teams in NCAA below 4 in ERA in 2024. 9.  No team in country is below 3.6 ERA.

Pierce gets hammered for not working the portal.  He had pitchers signed from LSU, Baylor, ND, and Duke who didn't throw a pitch (Fontenot did but ended up a head case).  He also brought in a guy from San Jacinto who has been great.  

I think he has done decent for what he had to work with.  The 5 guys that are injured/quit weren't projects.  They were all supposed to be heavy contributors.  Pierce has had to rely a lot more on his developing players and the results show that.  Some games we are great, others we are all over the map.

It will never be ok with me that the Texas pitching staff is medeoker, ever.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Well, after having a nice conversation with one of my buddies who is a parent of a current player, put me in the camp of getting rid of Pierce.  Although I don't think it will happen soon enough, given his current W/L record.

But the players have no team chemistry/camaraderie, Pierce does not coach the pitchers at all, etc. etc.  The son's quote was "this was the most dysfunctional team I have ever been on in my life."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Well, after having a nice conversation with one of my buddies who is a parent of a current player, put me in the camp of getting rid of Pierce.  Although I don't think it will happen soon enough, given his current W/L record.

But the players have no team chemistry/camaraderie, Pierce does not coach the pitchers at all, etc. etc.  The son's quote was "this was the most dysfunctional team I have ever been on in my life."

and it shows. ugh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Pretty obvious watching this 2024 season that Texas is currently a poorly coached team.

Fire Pierce... 

9 minutes ago, freyguy said:

This is like the aggies who say they met an opposing fan who said that A&M was the greatest and most hospitable road atmosphere they have ever experienced 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

This is like the aggies who say they met an opposing fan who said that A&M was the greatest and most hospitable road atmosphere they have ever experienced 

except it's not made up?

3 minutes ago, troph said:

except it's not made up?

I certainly can’t prove that. I will say a team that managed to win 9/10 conference series and finish 35-22 did not exhibit the characteristics of a team that hates their coach and hates each other. I’d need more than 2 hands to count how many times this team could have mailed it in this year

If his friends son is Grant Fontenot or Cody Howard, then it makes perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I certainly can’t prove that. I will say a team that managed to win 9/10 conference series and finish 35-22 did not exhibit the characteristics of a team that hates their coach and hates each other. I’d need more than 2 hands to count how many times this team could have mailed it in this year

If his friends son is Grant Fontenot or Cody Howard, then it makes perfect sense.

It helps the conference is a shit show.....Do you think he wins 9/10 conference series in the SEC?

Just now, chase25 said:

fair enough. but that's different than the aggy fib about what opposing teams fans say.

Dysfunctional team doesn't mean hates coach and each other. 

This is the stuff I just don’t know.  I can see dysfunction to an extent. 

Their celebrations on the field seem natural giving the appearance of some camaraderie.  And also, has the culture changed in one year?

Hard to believe there is no coaching of the pitching from Pierce at all.  Are we implying that someone else is doing it or they are all left to their own vices?  There’s growth and production from some guys so it doesn’t make total sense.

8 minutes ago, petscii said:

Angry "parent" > angry shagster...     lol...

I think it goes like this....

angry CDC > angry big cigar > angry player (unless that player is a scrub) > angry parent? > angry scrub? > angry surlite

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Hard to believe there is no coaching of the pitching from Pierce at all.  Are we implying that someone else is doing it or they are all left to their own vices?

Irony is ironic.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It helps the conference is a shit show.....Do you think he wins 9/10 conference series in the SEC?

A shit show? This year has been virtually no different than any other year. The Big 12 being a distant 3rd in the RPI. 

No this team doesn’t win 9/10 in the SEC. That has nothing to do with the point that was made. Why did the dysfunctional team, with no team chemistry/camaraderie, that believes their coach doesn’t coach, keep winning

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Dysfunctional team doesn't mean hates coach and each other. 

He said they have no team chemistry/camaraderie

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

A shit show? This year has been virtually no different than any other year. The Big 12 being a distant 3rd in the RPI. 

No this team doesn’t win 9/10 in the SEC. That has nothing to do with the point that was made. Why did the dysfunctional team, with no team chemistry/camaraderie, that believes their coach doesn’t coach, keep winning

He said they have no team chemistry/camaraderie

This is the worst year of big 12 baseball in years brother....Not a single good team. 9 all big 12 players, big 12 poty and this schmuck could only place 3rd and go 2 and q in the tourney.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, troph said:

It will never be ok with me that the Texas pitching staff is medeoker, ever.

You better resign yourself to the fact that great pitching staffs will look different than they once did.

This is not the gorilla ball era like the late 90s, but there’s ton of hitting.  It’s more skilled with more legit power and depth.

Arkansas gives up the fewest runs per game.  At 4 per game.

In that top 45, there are a bunch of smaller conference teams like Lamar.  A Lamar that lost 2 of 3 to TAMUCC.  That ERA puts us in the top 15% of the country.  I think if you go runs given up over ERA, we are even better.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is the worst year of big 12 baseball in years brother....Not a single good team.

Oklahoma has a win over Tennessee and Oklahoma State has a win over Arkansas. The Big 12 is pretty much no different than it is any other year.

Teams play good and they play bad no matter how good they are. LSU almost won the SEC tournament and they lost to Southern in the Box.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Oklahoma has a win over Tennessee and Oklahoma State has a win over Arkansas. The Big 12 is pretty much no different than it is any other year.

Teams play good and they play bad no matter how good they are. LSU almost won the SEC tournament and they lost to Southern in the Box.

You can stop now man.....David Pierce isn't going to suck your dick.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Immediately dismissing potentially damning data just shows how unreasonably biased you are on the topic. You are not credible, and at this point you are just embarrassing yourself. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Holy shit you're mad bro....

It's okay man....we'll have a new coach soon and you'll realize what it's like to not have a peaked coach.

I’m not mad at all lol. You are the one that retorts to incoherent insults when someone gives you answers that you don’t want to hear to the questions you ask. 

The Big 12 isn’t the SEC, never has been never will be. This team would not have sniffed 9/10 conference series in the SEC. The Big 12 is no different this year than it was any other year. It just played 6 more conference games so the overall records suffered and teams beat up on each other more.

Winning 9/10 series is not something a group with no team chemistry/camaraderie would accomplish.

Edited by chase25

I’m not mad at all lol. You are the one that retorts to incoherent insults when someone gives you answers that you don’t want to hear to the questions you ask. 

The Big 12 isn’t the SEC, never has been never will be. This team would not have sniffed 9/10 conference series in the SEC. The Big 12 is no different this year than it was any other year. It just played 6 more conference games so the overall records suffered and teams but up on each other more.

Winning 9/10 series is not something a group with no team chemistry/camaraderie would accomplish.

Glad you recognize Pierce isn't good enough for the SEC. Now lets move on and can his ass.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Immediately dismissing potentially damning data just shows how unreasonably biased you are on the topic. You are not credible, and at this point you are just embarrassing yourself. 

No you are embarrassing yourself taking an unfounded claim and championing it as gospel. I even stated I can’t prove it, that is the beauty of coming on a fan forum and using “sources”. 

The way the team responded all season long and what the gentleman above proclaimed do not add up.

No you are embarrassing yourself taking an unfounded claim and championing it as gospel. I even stated I can’t prove it, that is the beauty of coming on a fan forum and using “sources”. 

The way the team responded all season long and what the gentleman above proclaimed do not add up.

Speed Gawk GIF by Strapped Entertainment

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Speed Gawk GIF by Strapped Entertainment

The best part about you is you don’t even possess an ounce of reading comprehension. I’m not even defending Pierce and you have no idea because you are that fucking stupid.

The best part about you is you don’t even possess an ounce of reading comprehension. I’m not even defending Pierce and you have no idea because you are that fucking stupid.

"Not defending Pierce" but continually replies to every criticism of Pierce.....sure bud, you're not defending him!

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

"Not defending Pierce" but continually replies to every criticism of Pierce.....sure bud, you're not defending him!

When you call out players who have competed their ass off this year, yeah I have an issue with that.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic