[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

18 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I really wanted to like Perrin. He seemed like a good guy. Then the baseball shitshow happened.

image.png.cbe5041f1fafc4390fd0d8c775340e58.png

Perrin (81) had a big grasp of OJ once that should have been a TOL, but then let him slip away for a 8-yard gain.

SoCal won the game 17-13 (9/23/1967) played in the LA Coliseum.

Maybe a video of that game will surface on on YT/somewhere, because it would be interesting to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It was even worse.  Interim AD allowed to hire for our blue blood sport.  Goat rodeo where we got turned down by errbody publicly. 

I actually feel sorry for Perrin.  Longhorn thru and thru, but just a bad match for the job.  He stepped up and took it, presumably out of loyalty, but he was a fish out of water.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Perrin (81) had a big grasp of OJ once that should have been a TOL, but then let him slip away for a 8-yard gain.

Maybe a video of that game will surface on on YT/somewhere, because it would be interesting to watch.

The year before they played in Austin with SC winning that day, as well.  It wasn’t a total loss.

Wally Pryor introduced some guy on the SC sideline who was cue ball bald when he took his cowboy hat off to wave at the crowd … John Wayne.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2016/06/10/usc-picture-day-110/

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

48 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

To be fair, nobody could cut like OJ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The year before they played in Austin with SC winning that day, as well.  It wasn’t a total loss.

Wally Pryor introduced some guy on the SC sideline who was cue ball bald when he took his cowboy hat off to wave at the crowd … John Wayne.

Marion Robert Morrison, aka "Duke" Morrison, and later fans of his acting called him "The Duke" -- broke his collarbone bodysurfing which ended his promising USC football career.

image.png.c4b0e9a4fb98d65ece9eb8ac44547d8b.png

1 minute ago, TejasPedro said:

Are we going to dump the chump?

Feels like we are taking a lump up the rump.

Patience, grasshopper

May 23 - Clark "resigns" June 25 - Mike White hired
April 3 - Aston let go April 5 - Schaefer hired
May 31 - Ryan Murphy quits June 4 - Ianello hired
Jan 2 - Herman fired Jan 2 - Sark hired

The only long ass search was T&F - Floreal was hired 4 months later, but the job opened in February and T&F season was in full swing.  Usually when CDC makes the opening announcement, the hiring announcement comes quickly after. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I actually feel sorry for Perrin.  Longhorn thru and thru, but just a bad match for the job.  He stepped up and took it, presumably out of loyalty, but he was a fish out of water.

Definitely !    But his mission was to heal the wounds of the alumni after Patterson for which he succeeded.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, torre said:

Definitely !    But his mission was to heal the wounds of the alumni after Patterson for which he succeeded.

Fenves and higher ups (Powers?) are more to blame than Perrin imo.  He was called on to bridge to the next AD, but it didn't even fill like an interim job ny the time we hired CDC.  

BTW, he was a helluva a player before being injured. Mke Campbell can go on about this.

Edited by cochamps

Posted (edited)

I heard yesterday afternoon that there was a chance of movement today. We'll see.

It's not the only factor at play (obviously), but I don't think CDC wants to overshadow the softball championship series starting tomorrow, so if it doesn't happen today I would assume nothing is happening this week.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I heard yesterday afternoon that there was a chance of movement today. We'll see.

It's not the only factor at play (obviously), but I don't think CDC wants to overshadow the softball championship series starting tomorrow, so if it doesn't happen today I would assume nothing is happening this week.

Thanks Chip! jk jk

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Texas wins in 2 and they fire Pierce on Friday. 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas wins in 2 and they fire Pierce on Friday. 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I said it the other day but I really don't see the point in letting him twist in the wind for the next 2 weeks or whatever until you have your next guy en route to Austin. All that does is just hurt the current roster and kids who are potentially looking at the roster and still see Pierce as the coach.

Just cut bait. There are ways to run a smooth process of firing someone and hiring someone else a week or two later. We have a real AD and stability in the athletic department. Not everything has to be like 2016. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I said it the other day but I really don't see the point in letting him twist in the wind for the next 2 weeks or whatever until you have your next guy en route to Austin. All that does is just hurt the current roster and kids who are potentially looking at the roster and still see Pierce as the coach.

Just cut bait. There are ways to run a smooth process of firing someone and hiring someone else a week or two later. We have a real AD and stability in the athletic department. Not everything has to be like 2016. 

I agree and even think past no answers are not necessarily no answers today for that reason alone (there could be others).

18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Texas Rowing says "hi"!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:
David Pierce to Baseball America: "I'm in FL recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here." 

Ain’t that the truth. Killing himself. Just another task he’s failing at.  Jk - I hope he lands softly at Lamar University and wins 10 conference championships in a row. I have no ill will for him just want him out of the seat at my Alma mater.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Texas Rowing says "hi"!

I would be shocked if Texas Rowing factored into this decision. Congrats to them for winning national championship but it has to be very low in the things CDC would worry about in terms of baseball coach timing. WCWS is on ESPN and covered heavily so I am hopeful he is waiting for this to play out and then makes his move to fire DP, may take a couple of weeks to announce new coach but that is ok.

Posted (edited)

There's been a women's rowing team with scholarships since the early 2000's. I remember them having a table by the Littlefield fountain recruiting random people to try out when I was in school.

Edited by kevwun

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There's been a women's rowing team with scholarships since the early 2000's. I remember them having a table by the Littlefield fountain recruiting random people to try out when I was in school.

Yeah at first they were just trying to get any woman who had some kind of athletic background to sign up.

I think today they actually get experienced rowers, based on their results anyway.

It was added around that time to finish our Title IX compliance requirement in regard to scholarships. Why we picked something as random as rowing instead of Gymnastics I will never know.

Edited by Valmy77

Posted (edited)

Anyway I have no expectations to how this coaching thing is supposed to play out. If some of the guessing on this thread is correct, and CDC already has a new coach picked out, nothing might be announced until this coach is done with his season.

And, of course, we have no assurances anything will happen. Maybe Pierce is going to get another shot.

Edited by Valmy77

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah at first they were just trying to get any woman who had some kind of athletic background to sign up.

I think today they actually get experienced rowers, based on their results anyway.

It was added around that time to finish our Title IX compliance requirement in regard to scholarships. Why we picked something as random as rowing instead of Gymnastics I will never know.

I imagine it was because it was much cheaper to startup and maintain a rowing team than something like gymnastics would have been.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I imagine it was because it was much cheaper to startup and maintain a rowing team than something like gymnastics would have been.

That is pretty shortsighted thinking. People love women's gymnastics, they could have offset some of their costs.

Ah well. It was that idiot Dodds running the show back then.

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Anyway I have no expectations to how this coaching thing is supposed to play out. If some of the guessing on this thread is correct, and CDC already has a new coach picked out, nothing might be announced until this coach is done with his season.

And, of course, we have no assurances anything will happen. Maybe Pierce is going to get another shot.

I don't see this happening because of how much longer baseball season has.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't see this happening because of how much longer baseball season has.

With all the portal and draft and recruiting to be done, it does seem insane to wait that long...but I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine.

Just now, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize one of the 78 people in the entire world that care about college rowing posted here. My apologies.

Well they did just win the national championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I remember having several of them in my classes.  A couple of them told me that they had never rowed before joining the team, but they were on full scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

With all the portal and draft and recruiting to be done, it does seem insane to wait that long...but I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine.

There will still be some good players in the portal at the end of the month, but the supply won't be anything like it is in the next 10-14 days. I think at a minimum dismissing Pierce this week at least causes some kids to slow down their process a bit and see what happens at Texas. It would also probably limit attrition on the current roster (I do find it interesting that no current player has entered the portal yet)

If we really did wait until during or after the CWS to fire Pierce and hire a new guy, next year is going to be a gigantic question mark. Yes, it was going to be a question mark anyway but we would have essentially sat on the sidelines for the first three full weeks of portal activity at that point. Maybe that is cool with the decision-makers assuming they find "their guy" and they are willing to sacrifice next year for that.

Edited by Hookem2147

39 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is pretty shortsighted thinking. People love women's gymnastics, they could have offset some of their costs.

We have a great big body of water ideally suited for training a few miles from campus.  The costs are some boats and a shed.  We'd need to identify some serious real estate for gymnastics.  Campus is already packed, I don't see the problem.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We have a great big body of water ideally suited for training a few miles from campus.  The costs are some boats and a shed.  We'd need to identify some serious real estate for gymnastics.  Campus is already packed, I don't see the problem.

Don't we already have a gymnasium? 

But fair enough, this was all settled in the late 1990s anyway. Rowing it is.

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t realize one of the 78 people in the entire world that care about college rowing posted here. My apologies.

Negged for 80 grade stupidity from poster just constantly being rapidly fired at this site in almost every forum. It gets old. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Don't we already have a gymnasium? 

Sure, but it already sees heavy use.  I would think sequestering it for year-round D1 training might be problematic.  Anyway, congrats to the rowing team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's big enough to host actual competitions anyway.  You need a lot of floor space to have multiple events going on at the same time.

Edited by kevwun

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is Gymnastics now being discussed because of the move to SEC?  

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Only on this board. I don't see us adding any more sports.

I'd like to see us add women's gymnastics so we can add men's soccer.  (Not sure if those numbers would work, indulge me.)

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic