[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Doesn't the fact that everyone knows he is about to be fired negate a lot of the advantages of "working in silence" and "trying to get a handshake agreement in place with another person before pulling the trigger"? I'm sure other AD's aren't dumb and know the Texas job is coming open. Now, would the message board and Twitter craziness get amped up once the job is officially "open"? Yeah, I guess. But these AD's don't operate on those things.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Doesn't the fact that everyone knows he is about to be fired negate a lot of the advantages of "working in silence" and "trying to get a handshake agreement in place with another person before pulling the trigger"? I'm sure other AD's aren't dumb and know the Texas job is coming open. Now, would the message board and Twitter craziness get amped up once the job is officially "open"? Yeah, I guess. But these AD's don't operate on those things.

Everyone does not know that.  Everyone on this thread does not know that.  You don't know that.

Until something actually happens, anything posted here is just made up.  All we need now is flight tracker data....

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, petscii said:

Everyone does not know that.  Everyone on this thread does not know that.  You don't know that.

Until something actually happens, anything posted here is just made up.

We are the dumbest athletic department in the country if we plan to bring back our hot seat coach and didn't at least make one half-assed positive public statement by this point supporting his retention to try to help in the most important recruiting month of the entire year.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We are the dumbest athletic department in the country if we plan to bring back our hot seat coach and didn't at least make one half-assed positive public statement by this point supporting his retention to try to help in the most important recruiting month of the entire year.

I mean does there need to be another shitty vote of confidence like under Herman? As long as it’s not public either way other teams and their ADs can’t preemptively lock down their coaches with raises.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean does there need to be another shitty vote of confidence like under Herman? As long as it’s not public either way other teams and their ADs can’t preemptively lock down their coaches with raises.

A bunch of sand in the vagina types are complaining on a web forum repeatedly.  You have some vague more than likely made up twitter stuff, plus you have a bunch of Div 1 coaches agents trying to use this to get raises extensions for their guys. 

They re-assigned Augie around the start of the NCAA tournament and that was a bit of a distraction for everyone.  Do you think CDC would make the same mistake that the previous idiots did?

It'll happen (or not) when it happens. 

Edited by petscii

OB update on Pierce from their baseball writer 

Spoiler

* The waiting game continues to see what Athletic Director Chris Del Conte will do with regard to the head coaching position at Texas. Officially, there is no opening at this time, as David Pierce remains the head coach. Behind the scenes though, there have been multiple conversations that have occurred to gauge interest, find out what it would take, etc.

At this time, all sources continue to advise that a change will be made. While most expected it to happen immediately once the Horns were eliminated from the season, that is not modus operandi for CDC. The revealing of the new golf coach is a great example of that. In addition, CDC has spent quite a bit of time this week in Oklahoma City as the Horns softball team looks to bring home a national title. Silence is golden and CDC has not come out and said, no, this is our guy.

I tend to believe that there will be much more movement after this weekend.

* Getting into the list of names, here are the names that have been floated and a few quick notes on each.

Jim Schlossnagle (Texas A&M) - could this one still happen? Sure, anything is possible, but based on what sources have said today, it feels like a bridge too far.

Jay Johnson (LSU) - Most will scoff at this based on his recent national title and the school he is at, but there is mutual interest. The biggest hinderance to Johnson is his pay and the amount of money it will take to pry him away from Marucci, I mean LSU.

Tony Vitello (Tennessee) - Maserati Tony was never really under consideration. CDC and Tony know each other from their days at TCU and as mentioned before, there is a personality conflict there. Reports are surfacing today that Tony is about to sign a sizable extension and you can close the book on this one becoming reality.

Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - Elite defense and pitching. On the surface, not the sexiest name, but once you look at how he runs his programs and the success he has had, you start to love what he could bring. I haven't yet had anyone say, he is out. I also haven't had anyone say that there is a huge mutual interest.

Erik Bakich (Clemson) - Young, energetic, develops, and knows how to get the most out of a program. Bakich in my opinion would be a slam dunk hire. Texas would be getting one of the premier young head coaches in the nation. His salary also makes this a very attractive option.

Skip Johnson (Oklahoma) - There are certainly boosters that would like to see it happen, I just dont get the feeling talking to folks around Texas that he would be considered.

Rob Vaughn (Alabama) - A true dark horse in the race, he has only been at Bama for a year, but he was mighty impressive at Maryland and is highly regarded in the baseball circles. If this was 3-5 years down the line, he probably gets a look, but unfortunately, probably not in contention at this juncture.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

* The waiting game continues to see what Athletic Director Chris Del Conte will do with regard to the head coaching position at Texas. Officially, there is no opening at this time, as David Pierce remains the head coach. Behind the scenes though, there have been multiple conversations that have occurred to gauge interest, find out what it would take, etc.

At this time, all sources continue to advise that a change will be made. While most expected it to happen immediately once the Horns were eliminated from the season, that is not modus operandi for CDC. The revealing of the new golf coach is a great example of that. In addition, CDC has spent quite a bit of time this week in Oklahoma City as the Horns softball team looks to bring home a national title. Silence is golden and CDC has not come out and said, no, this is our guy.

* Getting into the list of names, here are the names that have been floated and a few quick notes on each.

Jim Schlossnagle (Texas A&M) - could this one still happen? Sure, anything is possible, but based on what sources have said today, it feels like a bridge too far.

Jay Johnson (LSU) - Most will scoff at this based on his recent national title and the school he is at, but there is mutual interest. The biggest hinderance to Johnson is his pay and the amount of money it will take to pry him away from Marucci, I mean LSU.

Tony Vitello (Tennessee) - Maserati Tony was never really under consideration. CDC and Tony know each other from their days at TCU and as mentioned before, there is a personality conflict there. Reports are surfacing today that Tony is about to sign a sizable extension and you can close the book on this one becoming reality.

Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - Elite defense and pitching. On the surface, not the sexiest name, but once you look at how he runs his programs and the success he has had, you start to love what he could bring. I haven't yet had anyone say, he is out. I also haven't had anyone say that there is a huge mutual interest.

Erik Bakich (Clemson) - Young, energetic, develops, and knows how to get the most out of a program. Bakich in my opinion would be a slam dunk hire. Texas would be getting one of the premier young head coaches in the nation. His salary also makes this a very attractive option.

Skip Johnson (Oklahoma) - There are certainly boosters that would like to see it happen, I just dont get the feeling talking to folks around Texas that he would be considered.

Rob Vaughn (Alabama) - A true dark horse in the race, he has only been at Bama for a year, but he was mighty impressive at Maryland and is highly regarded in the baseball circles. If this was 3-5 years down the line, he probably gets a look, but unfortunately, probably not in contention at this juncture.

I hate when they use salaries as reason why a coach isn't possible. And the reports about Vitello's extension from that fake account?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I think there is only one possible reason Vitello might have scored a nearly 2X raise -- if we had already come calling.  Beyond that, why?  

We gave Sark a similar raise and he was a legit candidate for the 'bama job.  If deep pockets aren't competing with you for your head coach, why on earth bump salary by that amount?

Not that I think it's a legit rumor, but even if it were . . .

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I hate when they use salaries as reason why a coach isn't possible. And the reports about Vitello's extension from that fake account?

Bakich and Vitello are the only two names that make sense imo. Sucks that what I would say is the better of the two seems out.

This is a stupid take.

Sett aside that it was in jest…prove me wrong:

Fundamentally unsound play. Weak ass plate appearances. Brain dead stupid baserunning. All the hallmarks of a David Pierce coached team.

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Sett aside that it was in jest…prove me wrong:

Fundamentally unsound play. Weak ass plate appearances. Brain dead stupid baserunning. All the hallmarks of a David Pierce coached team.

And, teams that make it to the CWS. Yes, very Pierce like.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Do you really want to discuss Mark White’s last two years vs The Munchkin’s last two years, Mrs. Pierce?

You are the dumbass that is comparing the two teams. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I could have wrote that. Is OB hiring?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

PsyOp OB post -- Anyone that Jabba's Hucksters at OB claim is "out" is actually is "IN," and actually are the coaches who CDC is targeting, despite any purported raise to Vitello or no raise to Vitello, or Italian-family-bloodfeud-hatred/whatever/Lulz or whatever the hell that other part is that has nothing to do with baseball.

I agree with @chase25 that this article is crap.  

For my bit, Money-whip Vitello, and Let's Fucking Go getting these SEC rivalries ignited and heated up!  Hook'Em!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

David Pierceitis has apparently affected the softball team.

Some of us don't really give a fuck about Texas softball. 

Oh - wow - OU won again - how fucking original.

Let's get back on topic. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Some of us don't really give a fuck about Texas softball. 

Oh - wow - OU won again - how fucking original.

Let's get back on topic. 

Some of us do give a fuck about softball and thought it was an asinine, bitchmade comment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Some of us do give a fuck about softball and thought it was an asinine, bitchmade comment.

It was.

I’ve watched little softball this season so the games versus the Aggies and OU didn’t come off as a well coached, well disciplined team.

47 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Vitello has 0 incentive to move jobs 

Who does? At least anyone that you would consider a legitimate candidate. I doubt he leaves but you never know where someone's head is at. Tennessee could potentially lose a lot from their team this year. He is more than capable of flipping the roster so I doubt that will factor into his decision especially considering he would have to rebuild most of this roster from scratch.

Tennessee looks like they are more than prepared to push all their chips in for baseball and if he stays there he has the opportunity to be Tennessee's version of Pat Casey. Does he like being the underdog coaching at a baseball program with little to no history, or does he want to coach at Texas where you will wear a target on your back every time you take the field? Where being the villain isn't an option. 

You make him say no, because if Tennessee balks now that Texas is in the SEC I think he would pack his bags

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

This isn't the the fucking softball thread. Go adjust your hormones somewhere else.

Stop being a raging cunt. This is a Texas board, it all matters. If it doesn’t matter to you then just keep your fucking mouth shut. And get some help, you need it, seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chase25 said:

Who does? At least anyone that you would consider a legitimate candidate. I doubt he leaves but you never know where someone's head is at. Tennessee could potentially lose a lot from their team this year. He is more than capable of flipping the roster so I doubt that will factor into his decision especially considering he would have to rebuild most of this roster from scratch.

Tennessee looks like they are more than prepared to push all their chips in for baseball and if he stays there he has the opportunity to be Tennessee's version of Pat Casey. Does he like being the underdog coaching at a baseball program with little to no history, or does he want to coach at Texas where you will wear a target on your back every time you take the field? Where being the villain isn't an option. 

You make him say no, because if Tennessee balks now that Texas is in the SEC I think he would pack his bags

I think his personality would be the perfect match for what Texas needs as the coach for baseball because of that paragraph. I also feel like he's the one coach of any of the listed names we've thrown out that could light a fire in the facility upgrades and NIL fundraising departments for donors. We all know he's an elite elite recruiter, I've heard some say relentless/charismatic when describing him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think his personality would be the perfect match for what Texas needs as the coach for baseball because of that paragraph. I also feel like he's the one coach of any of the listed names we've thrown out that could light a fire in the facility upgrades and NIL fundraising departments for donors. We all know he's an elite elite recruiter, I've heard some say relentless/charismatic when describing him. 

Do you think he would like the idea of putting a Bevo Blvd out in front of the Disch? Gaming consoles in the seats? 

I read somewhere that that is what we really need to elevate the program back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Balcones said:

Do you think he would like the idea of putting a Bevo Blvd out in front of the Disch? Gaming consoles in the seats? 

I read somewhere that that is what we really need to elevate the program back. 

I said it would add to the dead environment of the Disch. Student engagement and methods to get them excited in baseball should never be shunned. We have seen what Bevo Blvd and etc have done for football game day so it’s proven to work. 

Also facilities and Disch need massive upgrades. Were not even top 10 in the country in facilities, maybe not even top 15. 

Once again, I’m sorry your husband is about to lose his job. At least he will get a nice parting present to take you on a vacay and give you some relaxation. 

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

OB is basing their Vitello news off of a parody tweet. Geezus they are bad.

• Like 1

Im coming around to the idea of going full villain and money whipping Vitello. That would be a major splash coming into the SEC and the other schools would hate us even more, which interests me. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I said it would add to the dead environment of the Disch. Student engagement and methods to get them excited in baseball should never be shunned. We have seen what Bevo Blvd and etc have done for football game day so it’s proven to work. 

Also facilities and Disch need massive upgrades. Were not even top 10 in the country in facilities, maybe not even top 15. 

Once again, I’m sorry your husband is about to lose his job. At least he will get a nice parting present to take you on a vacay and give you some relaxation. 

Leave your Cedar Park, suburban, sterile corporate atmosphere out of the Disch.  I know that is attractive to you.  The Disch is great as it is, its not dead.  Last thing we need is more Clap. Clap. Clap, Clap Your Hands...... 

Also facilities and Disch need massive upgrades. We’re not even top 10 in the country in facilities, maybe not even top 15. 

So our environment is lacking, our facilities are not top notch, our NIL may be top 5-ish but is not #1, our conference lagged the top 2 conferences in several ways.

So given that we shouldn’t really expect CWS titles.  

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Leave your Cedar Park, suburban, sterile corporate atmosphere out of the Disch.  I know that is attractive to you.  The Disch is great as it is, its not dead.  Last thing we need is more Clap. Clap. Clap, Clap Your Hands...... 

you’re describing disch thanks. It’s current environment is literally what DKR used to be. 

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So our environment is lacking, our facilities are not top notch, our NIL may be top 5-ish but is not #1, our conference lagged the top 2 conferences in several ways.

So given that we shouldn’t really expect CWS titles.  

We need a Bevo Blvd out in front of the Disch.  That is the key.  

• Haha 1

What the Disch needs is an indoor practice area, our own baseball weight room, improved locker rooms, team meeting area, etc....  That will help us get into the top 15.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So other than the plastic field, what upgrades are you suggesting, facility wise? Corporate suites?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Today should be the day (says me).  It's Friday, softball is over, and it's tearing us apart anyhow. 

Might need to wait until the coach we want is no longer playing. As much as I don't want it, we might have to wait until after the CWS. CDC might go ahead and just announce that Pierce is not returning, and then announce to new coach later. I much prefer the 2nd option. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SOBMarcos said:

So other than the plastic field, what upgrades are you suggesting, facility wise? Corporate suites?

For starters:

State of the art hitting lab - LSU has the best hitting lab in the country, so much so MLB players that aren't even affiliated go there to train in the offseason.
State of the art pitching lab - See above but sub Wake Forrest for LSU
Make Texas baseball facilities the premier place for training for Texas players, MLB players, etc. 

Home locker room complete renovation
Player rec hall, trophy room, etc for strictly baseball for recruiting/player ammentities.
Player weight training facility, this could be part of the just mentioned rec hall. 

More seating in the outfields for students and create a student oasis of sorts to drive engagement and fun atmosphere for them. Create fun things for them to do pregame instead of just showing up sitting there and cheering(See how much student seating and gameday changes for students has improved our student crowd at DKR) and just for the general fan as well. Make Texas baseball an event, not just a game(Insert old baseball take from boomer here about how it should be about the game).Obviously the outfield seating issue may be that is out of our control because roads but you can do the same down either of the lines, most likely the visitor side.

If I'm not mistaken the last major upgrade to Disch was in 2008, right? That's forever in the facility arms race. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic