[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

No fucking way with Pierce’s roster construction . He has gaping holes every year. Florida is one of the most talented teams in the nation. Texas, is not. 

I mean they have almost an entire lineup that can mash but their pitching is terrible, even in the postseason, outside of Neely. 

Makes you wonder if good pitching actually does beat good hitting at the college level. If I was building a college roster I’d probably prioritize offense over everything.

Edited by Helobious

21 hours ago, chase25 said:

I have to admit, that is such an odd dynamic with Jack Leggett as one of your assistants 

I was wondering how Clemson managed to underperform again, and boom, there's Leggett in the dugout.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

I think age is relevant.  I wouldn’t hire someone on the verge of 60 and not overly inclined at 50+.  Pierce at the time of his hiring would probably be the oldest you’d want to hire.

My points are that you are knocking one guy for actual accomplishments when there’s similar data available for your alternatives.  Then picking and choosing when history starts.

It has not been discussed here, but it’s a valid question and one people likely have no clue about.  But Texas (43) high end talent trails CA (79) and FL (67) and is closer to GA (39) than those two.  That was from an article in 2020 from the prior decade about 1st round picks in the draft.  I suspect that held since 2020 too.  That talent is not going to be drawn to the Big 12.  We will acknowledge that in football but ignore it here.

I don’t know the answer as to how impactful it is, but that’s one of the most important questions here.  How limiting was the Big 12 in getting players here?  I’m quite confident in saying LSU wins nothing without Paul Skenes.  Hell, LSU got a top talent from the ACC.  Why would a guy like Skenes (or White) take less money to play in the Big 12 over the SEC or the ACC?  That’s the type of player we should have more access to now.  And you were the one introducing facilities and atmosphere.

And former Longhorn Mitchell Daly couldn't wait 1 more year to get to the SEC nor get to Omaha again -- he left Texas and Pierce's Bullshit for Kentucky.

He's contributing at Kentucky, and they're making their first-ever trip to Omaha this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

And former Longhorn Mitchell Daly couldn't wait 1 more year to get to the SEC nor get to Omaha again -- he left Texas and Pierce's Bullshit for Kentucky.

He's contributing at Kentucky, and they're making their first-ever trip to Omaha this year.

This is a bit of the behind the scenes stuff that makes me wonder.  My assumption was that he could return but had no guarantees of play time.  He had a reasonably long leash last year.

It’s hard to know how many fans wanted him gone from our program.  The vocal ones on this board were amongst those so it seems like a high majority wanted him out.

He’s played 3rd and batted 5th much of the year.  I believe he’s set personal bests in OBP, slugging, stolen bases, and sacrifices.  It worked out for him.

I haven’t looked into the UK coach’s background, but they made the CWS in rather easy and quiet fashion.  His name has been thrown out here some.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is a bit of the behind the scenes stuff that makes me wonder.  My assumption was that he could return but had no guarantees of play time.  He had a reasonably long leash last year.

It’s hard to know how many fans wanted him gone from our program.  The vocal ones on this board were amongst those so it seems like a high majority wanted him out.

He’s played 3rd and batted 5th much of the year.  I believe he’s set personal bests in OBP, slugging, stolen bases, and sacrifices.  It worked out for him.

I haven’t looked into the UK coach’s background, but they made the CWS in rather easy and quiet fashion.  His name has been thrown out here some.

Kentuckys coach seems like the hot up and comer. 

I thought someone said that Pierce told Daly to GTFO cause his dad or maybe it was his dad that told piece to go fuck yourself. 

27 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s hard to blame Daly for leaving when Jack O’Dowd was waiting in the wings 

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Mitchell Daly blows. And you clearly have no idea of the details of his transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So better coaching fixed him while shitty Pierce coaching ruined Porter Brown?

Kimble hit .343 this year and posted an OPS over 1.000. Better coaching fix him? Why did A&M let him go?

The anecdotal this ONE player got worse/better is the dumbest hill I see people dying on in these threads.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Kimble hit .343 this year and posted an OPS over 1.000. Better coaching fix him? Why did A&M let him go?

The anecdotal this ONE player got worse/better is the dumbest hill I see people dying on in these threads.

I should have put a /s after the post

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kentuckys coach seems like the hot up and comer. 

I thought someone said that Pierce told Daly to GTFO cause his dad or maybe it was his dad that told piece to go fuck yourself. 

Supposedly his dad, Morehouses and someone else were difficult to deal with. I’m not sure I’d read that Daly was told to get the hell out because of it.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Misplaced blame?  He's hitting 0.302 at Kentucky.

It’s baseball, people get better and worse all the time on a year to year basis sometimes for no explainable difference because the margin between success and failure is so small.

Corey Seager hit .306 in 2021, .245 in 2022, then jumped back up to .327 in 2023. Shit happens

Mitchell Daly hit .230 over about 400 ABs from 2022-2023. Daly is a really good kid and I’m glad he found success at Kentucky

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It’s baseball, people get better and worse all the time on a year to year basis sometimes for no explainable difference because the margin between success and failure is so small.

I'm not in disagreement, but all evidence should be considered.

On the flip side, yeah, our pitching sucks, but we got hammered with "bad luck" in that regard this year.  

I don't think there's a home run hire out there.  I tend to think there are available hires who will do better than Pierce, for myriad reasons.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, chase25 said:

whatayatalk. whatayatalk, whatayatalk, whatayataalk, whatayatalk?

Ya can talk, ya can talk, ya can bicker ya can talk, 
ya can bicker, bicker bicker ya can talk all ya want
but is different than it was.
No it ain't, no it ain't, but ya gotta know the territory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not in disagreement, but all evidence should be considered.

On the flip side, yeah, our pitching sucks, but we got hammered with "bad luck" in that regard this year.  

I don't think there's a home run hire out there.  I tend to think there are available hires who will do better than Pierce, for myriad reasons.

I’ve harped on the SEC element.  Any coach without that backdrop is hindered.  It’s dollars.  It’s facilities.  It’s environment.  It’s also perception.  Thanks to Burnt Orange & White for highlighting that the tradition built 20 plus years ago has less impact than the aforementioned factors.

Pierce has more upside heading to the SEC than exists in the Big 12.  We’ve been the best, prob most consistent team since his arrival.  Texas in general as well as the next coach have higher upside because you remove one of the bigger restrictions to competing on a level field.  

A quick glance shows Texas as the #3 recruiting class for 2024, which I believe is much better than previous years.  If that’s the case, what’s different?  Is it an SEC impact?  Is it a 60 year old man changing his philosophy?  In either case, it’s a perceived positive.  Maybe it’s luck or NIL coming to the forefront.  No matter who is coaching next year there really is no excuse to not be competitive.

Posted (edited)

I don’t think Bakich is in play anymore based on what I heard tonight. The Vitello and Schlossnagle stuff continues to be more dreaming than reality.

I’m not sure where this search might be headed but if you take it into this weekend you better have a solid ass plan to pluck someone at the CWS because if you wait another 7+ days then hire someone who was available for weeks it’s going to be obvious what happened.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

whatayatalk. whatayatalk, whatayatalk, whatayataalk, whatayatalk?

Ya can talk, ya can talk, ya can bicker ya can talk, 
ya can bicker, bicker bicker ya can talk all ya want
but is different than it was.
No it ain't, no it ain't, but ya gotta know the territory.

Screenshot_20240610-204645_kindlephoto-2263360.png.638515782b2ecaf17c3c38d743d46fa9.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nah, offline. Sounds like he gave assurances today to people around the Clemson program that he is staying.

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean shit. 

What's gonna be funny is when CDC's guy is someone nobody expected, and everyone loses their minds one way or the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What's gonna be funny is when CDC's guy is someone nobody expected, and everyone loses their minds one way or the other. 

There are several guys out there I would classify as good coaches but haven’t been mentioned a lot during this process.

Mitch Canham is one at Oregon State. I’ve seen a few people talk about him. Andrew Checketts at UC Santa Barbara has had a lot of success and is a pitching guy. Also hosted a regional this year. Rob Vaughn at Bama who just finished year 1 and had a good tenure at Maryland. 

Of course I would prefer all the splashy names being thrown out, but all 3 of those dudes are youngish coaches with success.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There are several guys out there I would classify as good coaches but haven’t been mentioned a lot during this process.

Mitch Canham is one at Oregon State. I’ve seen a few people talk about him. Andrew Checketts at UC Santa Barbara has had a lot of success and is a pitching guy. Also hosted a regional this year. Rob Vaughn at Bama who just finished year 1 and had a good tenure at Maryland. 

Of course I would prefer all the splashy names being thrown out, but all 3 of those dudes are youngish coaches with success.

Everyone wants to focus on the "top 10" big names, but history would show that is not necessarily the best route to take if you want to win big and the CWS.  For at least the past 50 years, the only coaches who have taken a team to the CWS and then moved to another team and won the CWS with their new team are Paul Manieri (ND then won at LSU), Andy Lopez (Cal State DH then won at Pepperdine and Arizona), Jay Johnson (AZ then LSU) and Garrido (CSF then UT).

Also, today the top names are generally already at schools where they are

1) winning big and have established their programs and assistant coaching rosters the way they want to run them

2) have significant fan, NIL and administration support

3) are in the Big 2 conferences SEC and ACC, and

4) are being paid very well (with a few exceptions) so very tough to money whip them.

Convincing one of them to leave is difficult unless there are other outside circumstances such as Schloss leaving TCU for Aggy.

Guys who have won and are considered high-level coaches such as Corbin, OConnor, Vitello, Jarrett, Schlossnagle (when he was hired by TCU), Lemonis and Tadlock were more like the guys mentioned in the above post.  These guys are young, respected in the baseball community and will likely end up being guys who coach a team in the future that is competing for national championships.

I know UT fans look at the history of the program and athletic resources and convince themselves that anyone would jump at the chance to move to UT, but I don't think that is necessarily the case in the current college baseball landscape.  Maybe we end up getting one of the "top" guys but if the search is being done with the input of very good baseball people dialed in to college baseball, we should be able to get a coach who won't initially wow the fan and alumni base but could end up being great for the program long term.

Just one example - Link Jarrett had only been a head coach at UNCG for 6 or 7 years and only made one regional. Most college baseball fans had probably never heard of him. However, he was very highly respected in college coaching circles.  When ND hired him they were an ACC bottom dweller.  In his first year at ND (excluding Covid year where they were in 1st in the ACC when the season was cancelled) they lost in the final Super Regional game to the eventual CWS champion and then the next year went to the CWS.  Now he has Florida State in the CWS in his second year there.

If CDC and his guys look hard enough, there are likely one or more Link Jarrett types out there if they can't get a big name coach.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Pretty sure CDC is circling the wagons!

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Non answer, answer

Highly unlikely to be Johnson.  He is at a good program with a history of success, and big fan, administration and NIL support.  In addition, he has 5 years left on a contract paying him $1.8mm per year plus incentives and with a buyout of around $5.5mm.  I would take well north of $2mm per year to move him plus having to pay the buyout.  

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does he feel like all his players are in God's Name Image and Likeness?

Not necessarily Dabo, but a 9:00 p.m. curfew for players sounds out of bounds to me.

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic