[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby just brings up David Pierce awkwardly at the end of his live broadcast regarding football schedule release. 

Once broadcast ends I'll timestamp the spot. @Hookem2147

With no Twitter/X chatter about it, at least at the time, I wonder why Bobby said that.

5 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

With no Twitter/X chatter about it, at least at the time, I wonder why Bobby said that.

A poster posted a gif on one of their baseball threads about something happening right around the time they had that happen on the broadcast.

Update from OB baseball writer. Not much new but reiterates the decision to fire Pierce was made long ago and outlines why.

Spoiler

The silence continues.

Checked in with several folks this morning to see if there is any pending announcement and I was told again that nothing is finalized and that there are still several names that are being discussed.

I did ask around some of the big names and here is what I was advised.

Jim Schlossnagle - all quiet. His team is in Omaha and focused on the first round matchup against Florida. I was told that the new AD Alberts helped settle a lot of his concerns with the $80M pledge for facilities upgrades, and that despite a continued close relationship with CDC, this one is less likely.

Tony Vitello - enquired about Maserati Tony again and was told that while he may very well be the guy, there is no one that believes he is leaving Tennessee. His agent Sexton, who is currently negotiating a contract extension loves the fact that Texas and Vitello are being mentioned though.

Erik Bakich - this one makes all the sense in the world....except for one fact. Does Bakich actually want to leave Clemson? Indications are that he likes where he is at. Could that change with a big formal offer, sure, but that hasn't happened yet.

Brian O'Connor - there continues to be interest from both sides. Difficult is that BOC has his team in Omaha, so nothing would happen till shortly thereafter. This continues to be one to watch.

Where that does leave things. If Texas does strike out on those top four candidates, which is certainly in the realm of possibilities, the Horns will need to take a fresh look at coaches that fit the profile and candidacy of the position....which of course is not even open yet officially.

I continue to hear that it is but a matter of time for when the position opens and the silence from CDC and the athletic department certainly do no dispel that.

It has been mentioned multiple times by folks on the board that if there is not a major upgrade in place, why not keep Pierce? Here are a few thoughts on that.

1. The decision has already been made at the top based on what I have heard from numerous folks.
2. The perceived direction and trajectory of the program is not one with an arrow pointed upward.
3. The constant staff turnover and inability to truly bring in elite assistant coaches has not gone unnoticed.
4. Going into the next season, Pierce will only have two years remaining on his contract and if the school is not going to give him a contract extension, he effectively is crippled and becomes a dead man walking when it comes to recruiting high school prep prospects and in the transfer portal.
5. The feedback from some SEC coaches is that transfer portal entrants is that Texas is not even being considered or in the conversation.
6. Taking over as pitching coach and them having one of the worst seasons was certainly not in Pierce's favor.
7. Miller leaving (see above) mid-season and several incidents with parents over the past two season have not been viewed upon as favorably.

At the end of the day is Pierce a bad guy or a bad coach? Absolutely not. He can micromanage and be tough to work for/with, yes, but he isn't a bad coach.

When looking at the variables above, you have to ask yourself two main questions. Is the program going in the right director and can he win a national championship?

Those are the same questions that were asked about Herman, so it is not anything new.

If the answers to either are no, you have to begin looking for a candidate that you believe can check both those boxes. Augie Garrido is not walking into the building. People need to adjust expectations and understand an unpopular opinion.

Texas Baseball is not the most elite program in all aspects as it once was. It has not won a title since 2005. It has not been in the title game since 2009. The advent of the transfer portal and even NIL has allowed many programs to be able to offer just as much TODAY than Texas can.

Is Texas still an elite job. HELL YES. Does Texas have an allure and a ton of history with the ability to recruit simply based on name alone. YES. The program still needs a steward and care taker though that can manage and develop young men and talent.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Update from OB baseball writer. Not much new but reiterates the decision to fire Pierce was made long ago and outlines why.

Hide contents

The silence continues.

Checked in with several folks this morning to see if there is any pending announcement and I was told again that nothing is finalized and that there are still several names that are being discussed.

I did ask around some of the big names and here is what I was advised.

Jim Schlossnagle - all quiet. His team is in Omaha and focused on the first round matchup against Florida. I was told that the new AD Alberts helped settle a lot of his concerns with the $80M pledge for facilities upgrades, and that despite a continued close relationship with CDC, this one is less likely.

Tony Vitello - enquired about Maserati Tony again and was told that while he may very well be the guy, there is no one that believes he is leaving Tennessee. His agent Sexton, who is currently negotiating a contract extension loves the fact that Texas and Vitello are being mentioned though.

Erik Bakich - this one makes all the sense in the world....except for one fact. Does Bakich actually want to leave Clemson? Indications are that he likes where he is at. Could that change with a big formal offer, sure, but that hasn't happened yet.

Brian O'Connor - there continues to be interest from both sides. Difficult is that BOC has his team in Omaha, so nothing would happen till shortly thereafter. This continues to be one to watch.

Where that does leave things. If Texas does strike out on those top four candidates, which is certainly in the realm of possibilities, the Horns will need to take a fresh look at coaches that fit the profile and candidacy of the position....which of course is not even open yet officially.

I continue to hear that it is but a matter of time for when the position opens and the silence from CDC and the athletic department certainly do no dispel that.

It has been mentioned multiple times by folks on the board that if there is not a major upgrade in place, why not keep Pierce? Here are a few thoughts on that.

1. The decision has already been made at the top based on what I have heard from numerous folks.
2. The perceived direction and trajectory of the program is not one with an arrow pointed upward.
3. The constant staff turnover and inability to truly bring in elite assistant coaches has not gone unnoticed.
4. Going into the next season, Pierce will only have two years remaining on his contract and if the school is not going to give him a contract extension, he effectively is crippled and becomes a dead man walking when it comes to recruiting high school prep prospects and in the transfer portal.
5. The feedback from some SEC coaches is that transfer portal entrants is that Texas is not even being considered or in the conversation.
6. Taking over as pitching coach and them having one of the worst seasons was certainly not in Pierce's favor.
7. Miller leaving (see above) mid-season and several incidents with parents over the past two season have not been viewed upon as favorably.

At the end of the day is Pierce a bad guy or a bad coach? Absolutely not. He can micromanage and be tough to work for/with, yes, but he isn't a bad coach.

When looking at the variables above, you have to ask yourself two main questions. Is the program going in the right director and can he win a national championship?

Those are the same questions that were asked about Herman, so it is not anything new.

If the answers to either are no, you have to begin looking for a candidate that you believe can check both those boxes. Augie Garrido is not walking into the building. People need to adjust expectations and understand an unpopular opinion.

Texas Baseball is not the most elite program in all aspects as it once was. It has not won a title since 2005. It has not been in the title game since 2009. The advent of the transfer portal and even NIL has allowed many programs to be able to offer just as much TODAY than Texas can.

Is Texas still an elite job. HELL YES. Does Texas have an allure and a ton of history with the ability to recruit simply based on name alone. YES. The program still needs a steward and care taker though that can manage and develop young men and talent.

Doesn’t OBs have a guy who does baseball updates that is pretty good? Is he still there?

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

My god, all of that is one big giant

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The decision was likely made well before we lost to Louisiana, based on #2, 3, 5 and 6

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, he's the guy who wrote that. Been there for a couple years. Replaced McComas.

That was horribly written, but I certainly appreciate the information.

I’d love BOC in Austin. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

McComas went to work for some baseball org, right?

Yeah, FiveTool. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

What would be funny is if Texas hired Vitello, Schloss left aggy for Knoxville, and aggy was left with picking over the sloppy-seconds-corches after everyone gets raises to force aggy to once again overpay for a Meh baseball corch.  Lulz.

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

What would be funny if Texas hired Vitello, Schloss left aggy for Knoxville, and aggy was left with picking over the sloppy-seconds-corches after everyone gets raises to force aggy to once again overpay for a Meh baseball corch.  Lulz.

They'd hire Matt Deggs and claim that he is the baseball version of The Elk.

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Just wondering....when was the last time we fired our head baseball coach?

Depending on who you ask about the situation, Augie.

In terms of a straight up firing, probably the first decade of the 1900s…

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Just wondering....when was the last time we fired our head baseball coach?

Both Gus and Augie were fired. It got officially announced as a resignation (Gus) or taking a special assistant job in the athletic department (Augie) but both were told to resign or else.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Both Gus and Augie were fired. It got officially announced as a resignation (Gus) or taking a special assistant job in the athletic department (Augie) but both were told to resign or else.

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

Yeah, I meant what was announced by the university as a straight-up firing. That’s why I put the Augie caveat. He is the last, as of now. Both he and Gus were fired in reality, but technically weren’t announced as such. 

13 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I meant what was announced by the university as a straight-up firing. That’s why I put the Augie caveat. He is the last, as of now. Both he and Gus were fired in reality, but technically weren’t announced as such. 

I've never really understood the different ways universities like to frame departures. It could come out tomorrow that Texas and Pierce are "parting ways," or he is "resigning," and we all know what it really means. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Same people saying we are fucking it up or CDC isn’t doing shit will be lining up to suck CDC’s dick when the decision is announced and the new coach hired. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

image.gif.aa8548f86bb932e84f51717acc50d05f.gif

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Can someone at least provide us McRibs?  This search is going to be longer than Tom Turtles replacement. 

Were you drunk? Sark was announced the same day Herman was fired 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Wasn’t Urban watch on during the lead up to Tom’s firing?   Or was that Charlie?   

I’m getting Olds…..

Herman was still our coach while we flirted with Urban. 
Angry Robin Williams GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic