[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We're firing a coach who has been to Omaha and/or won a conference title in nearly 40% of his seasons?

That’s not why he would be fired. His record, recruiting, transfers, player development have all been great. If he is let go, it’s for other reasons.

• Fuck You 4

35 minutes ago, Hookem75 said:

Zach from OB posted this yesterday:

"UPDATE (6/13):

There will not be an official announcement today from Texas regarding the status of David Pierce due to contractual matters, but it has been made clear and the next step will be an official announcement from CDC (Texas) that Coach Pierce has been fired.

As far as who will be the next coach, that name has not been released, but they have narrowed it down to an individual and he has stated that when the official offer is made, which can only be done once Pierce is officially removed, he will say yes."

Anyone know what the contractual matter might be?

They are trying to find a way out of paying his buyout is what I’ve heard.

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don't understand this. With our resources, just pay the guy and move on. It's not like we're talking Jimbo money. And if the off the field stuff is that egregious, just fire him for cause. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't understand this. With our resources, just pay the guy and move on. It's not like we're talking Jimbo money. And if the off the field stuff is that egregious, just fire him for cause. 

maybe there's juicier off-field stuff that's coming into play.

The University is not petty and cheap.  If there was sufficient reason to fire him for cause it would already be in the public eye.  They can't be petty and cheap and attract the next guy (in baseball, track, basketball, etc).  There are always legal hoops to jump through for paying out a lump sum and that stuff takes time to get everyone on board with.

8 hours ago, SameSame said:

West High School's official school mascot isn't actually The Comma's.

image.png.637861f74135a332f6e7e4652bbdcbbc.png

Do you root for the Longhorn's?

Fucking hell.

53 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don't believe this at all.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

We're firing a coach who has been to Omaha and/or won a conference title in nearly 40% of his seasons?

Not counting the COVID year, there have been 77 seasons since the College World Series was first played.  We have "been to Omaha and/or won a conference title" in 54 (70%) of those years.  

So, yeah.

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

If he's already been fired, I find it interesting that Pierce hasn't spoken up.  There must be money on the table keeping him quiet.

I think we are at the point where agents/lawyers are involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not counting the COVID year, there have been 77 seasons since the College World Series was first played.  We have "been to Omaha and/or won a conference title" in 54 (70%) of those years.  

So, yeah.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

What would he gain from that 

If his buyout was written in stone then he could to some degree control the message in an attempt to move on to the next spot.  I assume he wants a new job.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

We're firing a coach who has been to Omaha and/or won a conference title in less than half of his seasons. 

Do you even Texas, bro?

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, troph said:

The Office Thank You GIF

I wonder how many conference foes from the old SWC made trips to the CWS.

A&M, Tech, TCU, and I’d guess Rice and Baylor have made more trips since 2000 than before that time.

If we’re counting tourney champs over regular season titles, there’s flaws there.

For the new coach, what are your standards?  And over what period of time?

A title or trip 70% of the time, 50% of the time to Omaha, win a national title every 6 trips.  Is that That the expectation?

Our facilities aren’t top 10.  Our environment is not consistently top 10.    Our NIL is top 5-ish.  I don’t think our state is best in terms of top end talent, which is really where we lack talent.  At least now, we are more competitive in recruiting and environment.  The talent acquisition component has likely improved with the conference change as well.

We are expecting results that no other program or coach has attained. And we’re expecting them to do it with less than the very best resources so it seems.

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If his buyout was written in stone then he could to some degree control the message in an attempt to move on to the next spot.  I assume he wants a new job.

Rice and him make a lot of sense once all this goes down. Both could do a lot worse 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

A&M, Tech, TCU, and I’d guess Rice and Baylor have made more trips since 2000 than before that time.

If we’re counting tourney champs over regular season titles, there’s flaws there.

A title or trip 70% of the time, 50% of the time to Omaha, win a national title every 6 trips.  Is that That the expectation?

Our facilities aren’t top 10.  Our environment is not consistently top 10.    Our NIL is top 5-ish.  I don’t think our state is best in terms of top end talent, which is really where we lack talent.  At least now, we are more competitive in recruiting and environment.  The talent acquisition component has likely improved with the conference change as well.

We are expecting results that no other program or coach has attained. And we’re expecting them to do it with less than the very best resources so it seems.

Our facilities and environment could be better, but we aren’t some podunk place. I’ve said it here many times but the Brown center is very nice but needs some tech updates. I’ve also heard that DP has never been into the modern pitching and hitting tech and teaching so that’s part of it. 
We have high attendance overall and Texas is probably 3rd or 4th at worst in producing top end talent. That said, we don’t have to recruit only this state specifically with the portal being available.

We’ve always expected results that no other program or coach has attained. Thats the whole thing here. No other programs have been able to do what we have done. The expectations are based on historical precedent at this school.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And any coach we hire will not have Pierce's level of success.   If Pierce was coaching anywhere else but here, he'd be the short list of coaches for the Texas job.

(I don't really care if he is fired or retained I just think the idiocy in this thread is hilarious) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

That’s not why he would be fired. His record, recruiting, transfers, player development have all been great. If he is let go, it’s for other reasons.

Aids?

15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

We're firing a coach who has been to Omaha and/or won a conference title in less than half of his seasons. 

Do you even Texas, bro?

Nope, he's 4/7 on that metric.  It's not 70%, though.

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

And any coach we hire will not have Pierce's level of success.   If Pierce was coaching anywhere else but here, he'd be the short list of coaches for the Texas job.

(I don't really care if he is fired or retained I just think the idiocy in this thread is hilarious) 

The argument isn’t about that at all. The question is does his success come from the inherent advantages of this job or from his coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

The University is not petty and cheap.  If there was sufficient reason to fire him for cause it would already be in the public eye.  They can't be petty and cheap and attract the next guy (in baseball, track, basketball, etc).  There are always legal hoops to jump through for paying out a lump sum and that stuff takes time to get everyone on board with.

Not really.  It would not necessarily be in the public eye, and I say that because it's not.  Many on here are assuming this is soley a performance-based situation.   UT isn't "looking for a reason."  This is a public university of the state, meaning, there is a very specific process that has to be followed for an institution like UT handle things properly.  Those mentioning a variety of things involved other than performance are on the right track.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We have appeared in 38 CWS, of those 38 we have played in the championship 12 of them and winning half of those 12. So it is not out of the realm of possibility to want a coach who can at least get us to the national title game once every 3 trips such as our history says we do. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

19 minutes ago, petscii said:

If Pierce was coaching anywhere but here he wouldn't have the CWS appearances 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The argument isn’t about that at all. The question is does his success come from the inherent advantages of this job or from his coaching. 

Exactly. It won't be possible to win the conference championship at a 50% clip in the SEC - not even close. It doesn't even matter. There are four SEC teams in the CWS, and five played in Super Regionals.

The program should always be in a healthy enough state to make the postseason and compete for a trip to Omaha. Texas should never have glaring roster deficiencies like it does right now. The organic recruiting and development pitching trajectory on this roster over the past couple of years (and leading into next) has been atrocious compared to historical standards. Additionally, the head coach at Texas should not have questions surrounding the year-over-year health of his program in year 8.

Again, Pierce is not a bad coach. However, those stanning for him and acting like he's being unfairly thrown under the bus are deluding themselves. If Texas is okay being a top-10% program, keep him. If not, a change is necessary. He's shown more than enough at this point to justify being shown the door; let alone all of the other off-the-field shit he hasn't been adept at.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Exactly. It won't be possible to win the conference championship at a 50% clip in the SEC - not even close. It doesn't even matter. There are four SEC teams in the CWS, and five played in Super Regionals.

The program should always be in a healthy enough state to make the postseason and compete for a trip to Omaha. Texas should never have glaring roster deficiencies like it does right now. The organic recruiting and development pitching trajectory on this roster over the past couple of years (and leading into next) has been atrocious compared to historical standards. Additionally, the head coach at Texas should not have questions surrounding the year-over-year health of his program in year 8.

Again, Pierce is not a bad coach. However, those stanning for him and acting like he's being unfairly thrown under the bus are deluding themselves. If Texas is okay being a top-10% program, keep him. If not, a change is necessary. He's shown more than enough at this point to justify being shown the door; let alone all of the other off-the-field shit he hasn't been adept at.

Rotating staff just about every year is a huge red flag

• Hook 'Em 9

I'm not worried about conference championships.  Yes, I like them. Yes, I hope we win them and we should definitely do so every so often.

I want trips to Omaha. Three or four or more each decade. Win a title every few times you are there.

THAT should be the Texas standard. Even in today's climate, the right coach can achieve that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm not worried about conference championships.  Yes, I like them. Yes, I hope we win them and we should definitely do so every so often.

I want trips to Omaha. Three or four or more each decade. Win a title every few times you are there.

THAT should be the Texas standard. Even in today's climate, the right coach can achieve that.

100%

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I’m not sure I would fire him yet, and I worry about the options for replacing him. That said, you’re exactly right. There are issues, mainly roster mgmt imo. He’s had some bad luck with injuries as well but we seem to have holes in the roster almost every year. Thats a problem. He also apparently is not liked by big donors which in the NIL era is a huge problem

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nope, he's 4/7 on that metric.  It's not 70%, though.

Sorry for joking around...

Yeah, went and looked up overall record. Only with the "or", though. CWS is 3 and Conference 1st place is 3. Statistics, man - how do they work? 

The interesting thing I saw is that his overall record, including Tulane and SHSU and record with Texas only, are within .001 of identical. More stupid statistics tricks, right? You could argue that means he has utterly failed to use the vaunted built-in advantages to take us higher, much less to the top.

All things considered - or at least, many things - he's better than Augie was the last five or six years, but nowhere near peak Augie. And we've been slowly sinking, the last four years. 

Well, and no cooking show or classic rants.

Fuck it, fire him. Oh, wait... that's apparently a done deal, just waiting for "official" word.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Kirk Saarlos is still out there.  I’m in, give him a bigger platform and watch him flourish.

This is the worst idea. Anyone who thinks or thought Saarloos should be coaching here should exit the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Our facilities and environment could be better, but we aren’t some podunk place. I’ve said it here many times but the Brown center is very nice but needs some tech updates. I’ve also heard that DP has never been into the modern pitching and hitting tech and teaching so that’s part of it. 
We have high attendance overall and Texas is probably 3rd or 4th at worst in producing top end talent. That said, we don’t have to recruit only this state specifically with the portal being available.

We’ve always expected results that no other program or coach has attained. Thats the whole thing here. No other programs have been able to do what we have done. The expectations are based on historical precedent at this school.

The environment is part about your opponent.  SEC opponents take that up a notch for a variety of reasons.  Texas fans will always be a little on their hands.

As for facilities, I’m going on what’s been stated here.  Could be Pierce influence, at least in part.

As far as Texas talent, we’re no doubt top 5.  There also are a lot of competitors here.  I’d bet the general perception is that we’re a consensus top 1-2 state.

Theres no reason we can’t or shouldn’t expect to be amongst the very best programs.  And in spite of a modest this year, I believe we’ve been top 5 since 2020.  Quite a few get their drawers all bunched because “our pitching sucks” without considering the relativity.  We lost 3 dudes we were counting on heavily.  That’s the same for the program at large.  It’s unrealistic to attain the same ratios in a more competitive environment.

The move to the SEC is significant.  It opens up more of the country for guys wanting to play in the best conference.  It should open up more southeast guys who could get trips to play at home.  More exciting environments.  And probably more dollars we can offer to put in their pockets.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is the worst idea. Anyone who thinks or thought Saarloos should be coaching here should exit the conversation.

Official now, this is the best idea put forth by anyone involved anywhere.

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have appeared in 38 CWS, of those 38 we have played in the championship 12 of them and winning half of those 12. So it is not out of the realm of possibility to want a coach who can at least get us to the national title game once every 3 trips such as our history says we do. 

Ok.  So that is your expectation?

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The environment is part about your opponent.  SEC opponents take that up a notch for a variety of reasons.  Texas fans will always be a little on their hands.

As for facilities, I’m going on what’s been stated here.  Could be Pierce influence, at least in part.

As far as Texas talent, we’re no doubt top 5.  There also are a lot of competitors here.  I’d bet the general perception is that we’re a consensus top 1-2 state.

Theres no reason we can’t or shouldn’t expect to be amongst the very best programs.  And in spite of a modest this year, I believe we’ve been top 5 since 2020.  Quite a few get their drawers all bunched because “our pitching sucks” without considering the relativity.  We lost 3 dudes we were counting on heavily.  That’s the same for the program at large.  It’s unrealistic to attain the same ratios in a more competitive environment.

The move to the SEC is significant.  It opens up more of the country for guys wanting to play in the best conference.  It should open up more southeast guys who could get trips to play at home.  More exciting environments.  And probably more dollars we can offer to put in their pockets.

I don’t see anyway you can say we’ve been a top 5 program since 2020.

LSU, Florida, Aggy, both Mississippis and that’s before we even start talking about the ACC schools.

6 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

Official now, this is the best idea put forth by anyone involved anywhere.

The fuck are you even talking about 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic