[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

We could pull this shit every year. What if Cantu tags that Long Beach state dude out in 2017? Then we get Fullerton with Kingham, Kennedy and Shugart. I like our chances there. Who knows in Omaha with that lineup and decent staff we had. 

What if David Hamilton didn’t ride a scooter in 2019?

What if that whole covid thing didn’t happen in 2020?

If we catch that fly ball against Stanford and win in extras, who knows in Omaha (probably 0-2). 

But yeah, we took that momentum of 2021 and turned it into 0-2 in Omaha, loss in the supers while not hosting a regional to 1-2 as a 3 seed in fucking college station. That’s where we’re at. 

I’ve talked myself into Vitello. Everyone already hates us. Might as well bring in an asshole who thrives on hate. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We could pull this shit every year. What if Cantu tags that Long Beach state dude out in 2017? Then we get Fullerton with Kingham, Kennedy and Shugart. I like our chances there. Who knows in Omaha with that lineup and decent staff we had. 

If we catch that fly ball against Stanford and win in extras, who knows in Omaha (probably 0-2). 

But yeah, we took that momentum of 2021 and turned it into 0-2 in Omaha, loss in the supers while not hosting a regional to 1-2 as a 3 seed in fucking college station. That’s where we’re at. 

I’ve talked myself into Vitello. Everyone already hates us. Might as well bring in an asshole who thrives on hate. 

If CBS doesn't insist on a fucking single-game championship, we win another title in '89. 🤬🤬🤬

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

If CBS doesn't insist on a fucking single-game championship, we win another title in '89. 🤬🤬🤬

Yeah, I’ve believed this for years but never realized I was an Aggie because of it.

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And if Sam Lecure doesn’t take a liner off the heal against Fullerton. And if we don’t pull Ruffin in game one….🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Wasn’t this the year that we obviously win if we’re not up until 1 am playing baseball against west coasters?

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

What if every team has what ifs?   In the end you are what you are

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Wasn’t this the year that we obviously win if we’re not up until 1 am playing baseball against west coasters?

Yep. We got kinda hosed by the committee there. Whatever. 

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What if every team has what ifs?   In the end you are what you are

Yeah that was basically my point. The ifs don’t matter. The results do. And our results have been mediocre as fuck since losing to Mississippi state in the semis. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Sorry for following the conversation.  But yeah that was likely much easier than beating the Aggies 2 of 3.

Interesting that claims of definitive losses equals acceptable commentary.  Confidence unacceptable.  Got it.

Head on over to texags and find me one single posts that suggests they might lose a hypothetical game and you'll have a point here.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Head on over to texags and find me one single posts that suggests they might lose a hypothetical game and you'll have a point here.

Apparently you are more familiar with the Aggies ways than I am.  It’s rare when I click on a link here to visit that site.  But just so I’m clear when I stated that it was not a certainty we’d beat them a second time, is that being like them?  

The doom and gloom on this board started months ago when the team and season were often written off.  And to hell with those that were positive.

On 6/14/2024 at 9:07 PM, Hozey11 said:

I was going to sell two of my Georgia tickets but I’m thinking about giving them to y’all two. Y’all can learn to love each other during the game or fuck each other up in a winner take all pregame. They’re on the 50. 

Team Vitello 

fixed.

So Vitello and CDCknow each other well, he's from the Schloss tree, etc, etc. That all sounds great, but if we get Vitello, does he bring Frank Anderson back?

That seems like it would not suck at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

So Vitello and CDCknow each other well, he's from the Schloss tree, etc, etc. That all sounds great, but if we get Vitello, does he bring Frank Anderson back?

That seems like it would not suck at all.

That’s one of the big reasons I want him back. Anderson is a bad mother fucker and Vitello has a pretty strong resume. If he brings Anderson and somehow keeps Tulo around then holy fucking shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yep. We got kinda hosed by the committee there. Whatever. 

Yeah that was basically my point. The ifs don’t matter. The results do. And our results have been mediocre as fuck since losing to Mississippi state in the semis. 

Yes don’t get me wrong.  We let aggy off the hook but we lost 10-2 to a trash school to get eliminated.  

That’s one of the big reasons I want him back. Anderson is a bad mother fucker and Vitello has a pretty strong resume. If he brings Anderson and somehow keeps Tulo around then holy fucking shit 

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

I'm not a PIerce hater, but his record the last several years is reminiscent of MacBrown's last few on the gridiron... slowly sinking. Teams that most other schools would be damned happy to have, but not Texas. Well, and not me, either.

Almost good enough isn't.

Just hope we don't follow DP with the baseball equivalent of Charlie Strong.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'm not a PIerce hater, but his record the last several years is reminiscent of MacBrown's last few on the gridiron... slowly sinking.

Mack shit the bed the year after playing for the national title.  There was a mild recovery, but I don't think Pierce's performance has been quite that bad.

Yup, that's the fear.

The last Olinemen that Mack recruited who was drafted was recruited I believe in 2004.  His last year was what 2013?

In the final two games of Mack’s tenure here, our opponents had more interception return yards than we had passing yards.  That was with a veteran line that had over 100 starts.  That left the depth in the shitter.  We were outscored what 60-17?  And the defense played decently.

He got a high school player of the year booed out of DKR.  We can debate the merits of that player, but he did stick in the NFL a bit.

He had a losing record 12 years into his tenure after a championship appearance.

He left some parts but not a ton.  We were closer to falling apart than recovery.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mack shit the bed the year after playing for the national title.  There was a mild recovery, but I don't think Pierce's performance has been quite that bad.

The season after our first-ever loss to Bama was a complete disaster, true. MacBrown shoulda been fired right then, but he silver-tongued his way into "three more years to fix things" despite the fact that things were broken because he let it happen in the first place. Those extra years were slightly above average, but still trending down. 

Pierce's last few years have been trending downward, as well. 

We all agree - most of us, anyway - he's past his peak and doesn't look to be recovering. I don't think he's got the MacBrown Super-salesman genes, but even if he did, I don't think Del Conte is susceptible, so we make the change and devoutly pray that we make the right choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The season after our first-ever loss to Bama was a complete disaster, true. MacBrown shoulda been fired right then, but he silver-tongued his way into "three more years to fix things" despite the fact that things were broken because he let it happen in the first place. Those extra years were slightly above average, but still trending down. 

We all agree - most of us, anyway - he's past his peak and doesn't look to be recovering. I don't think he's got the MacBrown Super-salesman genes, but even if he did, I don't think Del Conte is susceptible, so we make the change and devoutly pray that we make the right choice.

I mean, Texas had the best record of any P5 team for the decade of the ‘00s, won a title, played for another (and should have played for another); Mack wasn’t getting fired after one bad season because of what he’d accomplished, not because he was a salesman.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

DP is the equivalent of Strong/Herman. He is not the Mack in this equation.

We need to hire a Sarkisian.

DP has not been Strong bad or Herman stupid. He hasn't been Mack good to bad, but he has been late mack bad.

I think we're looking to hire a Saban, but without the side trip from LSU to NFL.

Apologies for football analogy.

No emphasis on anal.

Edited by Tex Long

16 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, Texas had the best record of any P5 team for the decade of the ‘00s, won a title, played for another (and should have played for another); Mack wasn’t getting fired after one bad season because of what he’d accomplished, not because he was a salesman.

wasn't but should have been

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

DP has not been Strong bad or Herman stupid. He hasn't been Mack good to bad, but he has been late mack bad.

I think we're looking to hire a Saban, but without the side trip from LSU to NFL.

No emphasis on anal.

He is Herman level dickhead though. 

I think Herman is the best comparison for him as far as football coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

No emphasis on anal.

He’s absolutely been Herman stupid. Brought a JV coaching staff with him that turned into a revolving door of assistants. Hasn’t brought in a talented crop of pitchers in 4 years 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The only thing Mack and Pierce have in common is that their product was not up to standards at the end, something they share with the majority of coaches ever fired. That’s it.

Doesn’t matter if you think Pierce has sucked less at the end than Mack did or whothefuckcares what else about how the replacment compares to Charlie Strong and more of the dumbest shit.

Pierce is not good enough heading into a much tougher conference. The University feels that way, and a lot of others do as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Geezus. Fire this idiot already.

Seems like all done except for the announcement.

As others have said, CDC likely wants to make the "fired" and the "hired" close together.

We may hope.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

This is CDC making the hire, not Korn-Fucking-Ferry. 

They stole money making that consultation. I'm honestly surprised they weren't sued by angry BMDs with time and money to waste on it.

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Any announcement while the presumed replacement is coaching in the CWS would present a massive distraction at the CWS

Well, that strategy made a lot more sense until Jay Johnson was asked in a press conference a week ago if Texas contacted him and Kendall Rogers went on radio shows dropping Jim Schlossnagle by name as a replacement Texas desired. Keeping Pierce has done very little to quite the noise and prevent distractions. I guess no one at the CWS has been directly asked but we are kidding ourselves if we don't think everybody knows what is happening at this point.

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, that strategy made a lot more sense until Jay Johnson was asked in a press conference a week ago if Texas contacted him and Kendall Rogers went on radio shows dropping Jim Schlossnagle by name as a replacement Texas desired. Keeping Pierce has done very little to quite the noise and prevent distractions. I guess no one at the CWS has been directly asked but we are kidding ourselves if we don't think everybody knows what is happening at this point.

If we get the Kentucky guy, do we get Daly for an extra metal well being year?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I havent heard the announcers say a word about Texas. If we fired Pierce right now those bubbas McDonald and Burke would act flabbergasted, with the "David Pierce is as good a coach as there is. What does Texas expect" bs

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Horrific take. Brown was allowed to stay because let's see, he won a title on 05, shouldve won one in 09, and was a perennial title contender from 04-09. He didnt silver tongue his way into anything. 

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Horrific take. Brown was allowed to stay because let's see, he won a title on 05, shouldve won one in 09, and was a perennial title contender from 04-09. He didnt silver tongue his way into anything. 

Can we just drop the football analogies?  Damn.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They all read Surly, so yea…they know.

20 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I'd argue you're an ignorant pup that has no understanding of Texas Baseball.

image.png.4c92a3b961a9d5cdbc99298833818e8c.png

Billy and Bibb did some solid work here too. Fucking insane, we’ve had legends coaching us since WW1 then Pierce who would be a legend at aggy but he’s mediocre to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic