[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

After all of this, it would be extremely underwhelming.

Sure but that is out of CDC’s control and it doesn’t change the coach Bakich is. The situation is fluid and I’d rather CDC made sure there wasn’t an open window for Schloss/Vitello. It would suck even more if we went straight to Bakich after the supers and then find out Schloss/Vitello had legitimate interest in the job. 

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

How exactly does "Texas fires Pierce" jibe with "It was a mutual decision?"

image.png.fe92c451e5c3a982faa9667bf0d33afd.png

Shaka Smart quit his job, took no package or buyout or anything.

Pierce was quite obviously packaged or facing termination for cause and told he could just resign and call it "mutual" 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JGHorn said:

If I’m CDC, you don’t waste 3 weeks of portal and recruiting if it’s not Vitello or Schloss. Unless one of them f’s us at the end 

Maybe CDC couldn't move on with Pierce until he heard back from HR. That would explain the delay if the lawyers told him to stand fast. I really hope this isn't the case because I want either of tonight's coaches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm glad we finally have an AD that allows us to say this with confidence.    That post DeLoss Dodds era was brutal. 

image.png.de8db642a41a8eafeb205dbfd3862295.png

The Dodds era wasn't all that great, either. He kept some great coaches on staff and hired a couple good ones, but the misses outnumbered and outweighed the hits. Deloss made us rich, but he didn't win us very many titles.

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, Jesus--I didn't think it was possible for me to cheer against aggy tonight any more than I already was.  But between the prospect of getting Schloss in here countered with the threat of Vitello coaching my team (he may be a great coach, but he's also a fucking tool), I'm going to be cheering for the Vols every much as though it were the Horns out there.

Liar. You were cheering for Tennessee like it was the Horns playing them anyway.

26 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

CDC asked Pierce to turn in paperwork for mutual separation the week of the 13th. Obviously that didnt happen and now CDC let him go. They were using the incident with Hurley to help force the resignation but obviously that didnt happen either. Now here we are. CDC already has the next dude done, no one knows shit and CDC handles coaching searches like a boss ass bitch

Truth.

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Mac Engel has a column that is getting texags' panties in a wad:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/offered-one-reason-why-jim-162910055.html

That article is so good, so full of aggy-angst-ridden truth bombs, that it almost doesn't matter who we hire, now.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The Dodds era wasn't all that great, either. He kept some great coaches on staff and hired a couple good ones, but the misses outnumbered and outweighed the hits. Deloss made us rich, but he didn't win us very many titles.

Meh. Every school in the country got rich in that era. Dodds was a mediocrity.

But anyway Pierce is gone, and from what I understand the timing is good as the wheels seem to be just starting to come off. Now let's see if the rumors of CDC already having the next coach ready to go are true.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

have you followed UT football since 2006 ????

going on 20 of disappointment 

imo, it’s schloss all the way I don’t think Tony v is in the mix. I’d give up one of y’all’s mom to see cdc’s top 3 list after schloss 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Do y'all really think Vitello or Schlos is a realistic get?

I would think our baseball program has the cache to attract the top level guys.  Do we need to read aloud our baseball resume? 

Shloss and CDC have a history from TCU.  From reports they are tight.  He has had a front row seat to all of our success over the last two decades.  Gets A&M to the brink of a title, sounds like a perfect time to leave, given the current collegiate sports climate (NIL, relaxed transfer rules etc..).  Every coach at Texas since Gus has been in Omaha multiple times. He knows how to win big and knows the SEC..and most importantly, he knows the pull Texas has.

As far as Vitello, how much more can you win at Tenn..he's got the winningest program in the last decade.  Can he do it on the ultimate stage in Austin?  Remember his dad was a lifer coach, its in his blood to reach the top.   Its hard to name an equivalent to Texas Baseball on the national stage.  Miami had a run, USC was the standard bearer forever, but past that, Texas is the place to be.  He's young enough to go on a run here.  Hes from MO, went to a small catholic college in Mobile, so no ties to TN and iirc , he coached at TCU.

Educate me here.  In olden days, you couldn't poach somebody's head coach without extending the courtesy of asking permission to talk to them through the AD, and those discussions usually found the light of day.  Now I know that the Beard deal was done at the McD's in Plainview or wherever and don't remember the details.  Assuming it's Schloss, Texas and aggy have to play in the same sandbox to some extent in regards to the Legislature, etc.  Do any of these things matter any more?

aggy is a big believer in handshakes and Gentlemen’s agreements. Fuck’em.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1