[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

6 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I don't think they "for caused" him I thought they just gave him the "don't make us let everyone know what a giant geeked out, fucking asshole you are so you never get another coaching job again'ed" him and then "reached a settlement"

They did. 

26 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ll say it again I want Vit. It’s not gonna happen but that guy is going to be at the top for a long while.

Won with overwhelming talent advantage.  Can recruit his fucking ass off.  Not sure he's a great coach when forced to compete with equal talent.   But at the college level it doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Just checking in.  Is David Pierce still fired?

Yes, and Generalissimo Franco is still dead.

I like Coach Pierce.  Apparently he rubbed quite a few staffers and players the wrong way.  And I never had great confidence that a guy with moderate success at SHSU and Tulane could win big-time in the Big XII/post-season.  But fact remains, he performed better than a number of other coaches we've kept around the 40 with much less to show for it than Pierce.  It's the right time make a change though given what we're about to head into.  He's still got a lotta baseball left in him an I wish him all the best.  CdC seems to understand no more 'up-an-comer' hires, just folks with proven track records at premier programs who want to come for a chance at something even bigger.  

Thanks Coach for all you did, getting passed the torch from Augie was no easy task.  We had some real successes and speedbumps along the way, but time to move on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Like many on here, I'd rather poach Vitello from TN. But, if we do steal Schloss from aggy it will be too much fun. It'll also tell us a couple of things;

1. Trev Alberts is an even bigger douchebag than we thought.

That's like saying the Universe is bigger than we thought. 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But fact remains, he performed better than a number of other coaches we've kept around the 40 with much less to show for it than Pierce.  It's the right time make a change though given what we're about to head into.  He's still got a lotta baseball left in him an I wish him all the best.  CdC seems to understand no more 'up-an-comer' hires, just folks with proven track records at premier programs who want to come for a chance at something even bigger. 

not among baseball coaches, Texas hasn't.

• worst conference winning% by a coach since records existed back to 1911
  • 2nd worst overall win% by a coach at Texas since 1911
  • no national championships
  • lost his first game in all 3 CWS
  • 0-2 in Omaha in 2018, 0-2 in 2022.

image.thumb.png.5d296860e605b9aa4d1ffad4fadee22a.png

i think everyone can generally agree it was time to move on, especially if there is any truth to the Hurley story with folks being ready to turn in uniforms.

looking forward to seeing the next coach hired. wish him the best, but it was time.

• Hook 'Em 6

Point taken, when I wrote "other coaches", I was including other under-performing coaches in sports like softball, soccer, and M&W basketball, et. al.  

Yeah, Pierce was just wildly inconsistent with results and had plenty of resources with which to work.  In the end, his recruiting and relationship with staff/roster was just unpleasant to say the least.  

I think many of us are just tired, with all we have at UT, of taking flyers on guys from Illinois, Cincinnati, Univ. of Houston, Tulane, VCU, etc.  And it proves itself out when they are relegated to places like Arizona, USF, FAU, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Point taken, when I wrote "other coaches", I was including other under-performing coaches in sports like softball, soccer, and M&W basketball, et. al. 

Ultimately, no one cares about those sports. I mean, they do, but nowhere near football or baseball because of the prominence of those two sports and because of our tradition and place in the national landscape of those sports.

I agree that they are nowhere near of note in terms of prominence compared to football and baseball.  But between scholarships, coaching salaries (heads and assistants), travel, NIL, and facilities..."those sports" get into the 8-figures and real fast.  So, in a way, we should care

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

not among baseball coaches, Texas hasn't.

• worst conference winning% by a coach since records existed back to 1911
  • 2nd worst overall win% by a coach at Texas since 1911
  • no national championships
  • lost his first game in all 3 CWS
  • 0-2 in Omaha in 2018, 0-2 in 2022.

image.thumb.png.5d296860e605b9aa4d1ffad4fadee22a.png

i think everyone can generally agree it was time to move on, especially if there is any truth to the Hurley story with folks being ready to turn in uniforms.

looking forward to seeing the next coach hired. wish him the best, but it was time.

Our sustained success in baseball never ceases to amaze me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our success in minor sports like volleyball, swimming & diving, track & field, golf, even recent success in softball and women's basketball is like heroin in my veins.  I wouldn't really want to trade some of those for more success in men's basketball or baseball.

But I would.

Fortunately, it's a fool's choice.  Let's have them all.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Our success in minor sports like volleyball, swimming & diving, track & field, golf, even recent success in softball and women's basketball is like heroin in my veins.  I wouldn't really want to trade some of those for more success in men's basketball or baseball.

But I would.

Fortunately, it's a fool's choice.  Let's have them all.

Just need to get rid of Terry and get a real coach in for Basketball and then we will be set across all important sports. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m putting this here since the dust has settled and Jim Schlossnagle is now official. David Pierce had the very unenviable task of following a man in Augie Garrido who is on the Mount Rushmore of college baseball managers. 

His tenure wasn’t perfect but I hope as time passes people can at least tip their cap for doing a pretty good job all things considered.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 hours ago, chase25 said:

I’m putting this here since the dust has settled and Jim Schlossnagle is now official. David Pierce had the very unenviable task of following a man in Augie Garrido who is on the Mount Rushmore of college baseball managers. 

His tenure wasn’t perfect but I hope as time passes people can at least tip their cap for doing a pretty good job all things considered.

"Good is the enemy of great"

Also @Balcones wellness check for 6/26/24

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, chase25 said:

Looking at just “wins” in college baseball is a very misleading metric. Texas, like many programs, pad their out of conference schedule with lower quality teams. And the SEC was a higher quality conference in which he didn’t have to compete. Also, as a top baseball program on the country Texas should always be in top 5 in wins.

Finally, who gives a fuck. He’s gone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, so can someone catch me up on the Pierce story that, along with his shitty coaching, supposedly led to his downfall? According to FCB, (I was listening to Texas Sports Unfiltered on YouTube - shoutout to Brad Kelner), Pierce had a meltdown with a player and kicked the dude off the team. The team apparently wasn't thrilled with this move and there was some sort of rebellion amongst the players, with them demanding he re-instate the player. The player was put back on the team the same day.

Can anyone provide any more info?  

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Okay, so can someone catch me up on the Pierce story that, along with his shitty coaching, supposedly led to his downfall? According to FCB, (I was listening to Texas Sports Unfiltered on YouTube - shoutout to Brad Kelner), Pierce had a meltdown with a player and kicked the dude off the team. The team apparently wasn't thrilled with this move and there was some sort of rebellion amongst the players, with them demanding he re-instate the player. The player was put back on the team the same day.

Can anyone provide any more info?  

Big 12 tourney....supposedly a heated argument either between Pierce and Hurley (and maybe Hurley's Dad also) about his use in those games (or one of them). Per what was written/shared yesterday on the site here, Hurley was told after those games ( and Texas out of the post season tourney) that he was off the team and to turn in his jersey. The team then stood up for Charlie and were all going to turn in their jerseys also if Charlie was off the team. Pierce relented.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Big 12 tourney....supposedly a heated argument either between Pierce and Hurley (and maybe Hurley's Dad also) about his use in those games (or one of them). Per what was written/shared yesterday on the site here, Hurley was told after those games ( and Texas out of the post season tourney) that he was off the team and to turn in his jersey. The team then stood up for Charlie and were all going to turn in their jerseys also if Charlie was off the team. Pierce relented.  

Thanks. Def sounds like the moves of a coach on life support. 

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

This guy is just the absolute best: 

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

In other words, we’d best take what these “insiders” have to say with a grain of salt, and use some common sense.

I know that’s a rare commodity when we’re talking about the Longhorns, but it is a necessary exercise. There may be some among us credulous enough to believe—simply because they WANT to—that a coach coming off of a national championship berth signed a contract for a different job on the team plane back from Omaha, but I’d hope most of my readership wouldn’t be so easily hoodwinked.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4