[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Just now, Royale with cheese said:

"I washed it down with some snakebite remedy, which I always keep handy. Only, however, after first being bitten by a snake, which I also always keep handy." -- W. C. Fields

As good an excuse as any.

Fields is also on record as complaining that the African safari he went on was a failure of a vacation, because just a few days into the trek, the bearers lost the entire supply of whiskey in a river-crossing, and the group had nothing but food and water the rest of the way.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m just ready to move on. The excuses, the what-ifs, the hoping for better. We aren’t a top 10 program right now which is why CDC will make a change 

This is where I am at. I'll reserve for final judgement after the regional concludes today or tomorrow. But if CDC wants to make a change, I am okay with it. But we shouldnt fire him unless we have a great option lined up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m just ready to move on. The excuses, the what-ifs, the hoping for better. We aren’t a top 10 program right now which is why CDC will fucking well had best make a change 

More better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We aren’t a top 10 program right now which is why CDC will make a change 

This is a perspective I can get behind.  CDC made the standard clear.  While I don't think he's irrational in the sense that he would (hypothetically) fire a coach like Jerritt Elliot for a down year next year, he has to consider where the baseball program stands right now, which will almost surely hinge on 2 straight years w/o reaching the CWS.  Is that unacceptable?  Eh, it's not good.  Texas should expect a program that is dominant enough to warrant a top 16 national seed with the perks that come along with it; namely, a regional with 3 lesser teams to beat.  Having to beat one of the best teams in the country twice to advance to the Supers is a pretty big red flag.

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is a perspective I can get behind.  CDC made the standard clear.  While I don't think he's irrational in the sense that he would (hypothetically) fire a coach like Jerritt Elliot for a down year next year, he has to consider where the baseball program stands right now, which will almost surely hinge on 2 straight years w/o reaching the CWS.  Is that unacceptable?  Eh, it's not good.  Texas should expect a program that is dominant enough to warrant a top 16 national seed with the perks that come along with it; namely, a regional with 3 lesser teams to beat.  Having to beat one of the best teams in the country twice to advance to the Supers is a pretty big red flag.

I’d argue that Texas should be hosting a regional almost every year. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d argue that Texas should be hosting a regional almost every year. 

I'd agree.  If the standard is top 10 then top 16 isn't hard to argue with.

We have to allow for random down years, though, but the hard part is figuring out when a slump is a long-term trend.

Based on past history (Cliff & Augie), we missed the post-season 7 times in 49 years.  So, making a regional 6 years in 7 is consistent.  Hosting that regional should be almost an automatic (CDC's "Top 10" standard).  Augie made the CWS 8 times in 20 years. which seems another reasonable mark to hit.  Say, 3-4 times per 7 years.  I'm not sure what I would say is the standard once we get there.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As negative as I’ve been on Pierce, almost since the beginning, it’s not actually his CWS appearance record that bothers me. It’s the inconsistency of the program from year to year, the lack of development, striking out with key recruits, A&M on the rise, the frustrating pitching, and coaching personnel issues. The performance in the World Series once there is also concerning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Dbeasy said:

As negative as I’ve been on Pierce, almost since the beginning, it’s not actually his CWS appearance record that bothers me. It’s the inconsistency of the program from year to year, the lack of development, striking out with key recruits, A&M on the rise, the frustrating pitching, and coaching personnel issues. The performance in the World Series once there is also concerning. 

So, on balance, would you say we give him three more years? Two? One? 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We have to allow for random down years, though, but the hard part is figuring out when a slump is a long-term trend.

Based on past history (Cliff & Augie), we missed the post-season 7 times in 49 years.  So, making a regional 6 years in 7 is consistent.  Hosting that regional should be almost an automatic (CDC's "Top 10" standard).  Augie made the CWS 8 times in 20 years. which seems another reasonable mark to hit.  Say, 3-4 times per 7 years.  I'm not sure what I would say is the standard once we get there.

Seems like Pierce is in line with what you are describing.

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This is where I am at. I'll reserve for final judgement after the regional concludes today or tomorrow. But if CDC wants to make a change, I am okay with it. But we shouldnt fire him unless we have a great option lined up. 

There just isn’t a slam dunk. O’Connor is 1-4 in Omaha since the ‘15 title. Are Bakich or Canham proven enough? I’m operating under the assumption that Jarrett or an SEC name would be lost causes. After that you’re looking at Duke? NC Sts coach is 70.

That said, keeping Pierce for a few more years doesn’t change that picture at all. There’s never going to be a slam dunk that a school won’t fight tooth and nail for. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think realistic expectations should be something like:

Host and advance to supers 4/5 years

Advance to CWS 50% of time or more

Play for the title once every 4-5 years

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Talent level wasn’t there this year. I’d blame him for portal failure but no idea what kind of nil budget hes working with.

I think we should host most years, but it seems like our baseball NIL is not great.  That will influence any coach looking at accepting the job.  It should influence our decision-makers (though to what extent, I don't really know).

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Host and advance to supers 4/5

No real argument from me.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Texas should expect a program that is dominant enough to warrant a top 16 national seed with the perks that come along with it; namely, a regional with 3 lesser teams to beat. 

I'd go further.  1 top 8 seed in 7 years is unacceptable.  The way to win championships is to get to Omaha consistently and the way to get there consistently is to host both weekends.  Pierce deserves credit for his other 2 CWS trips but there was a lot of luck involved in Ole Miss pulling their regular home regional choke job in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, cochamps said:

I think we should host most years, but it seems like our baseball NIL is not great.  That will influence any coach looking at accepting the job.  It should influence our decision-makers (though to what extent, I don't really know).

I’ll default to @closetojumping on baseball NIL. I think I recall a post that says he has a pretty good budget he just uses it poorly or something of that nature. 

Just now, cochamps said:

They had everything they needed. 

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So, on balance, would you say we give him three more years? Two? One? 

O. And I believe that despite all the arguing on this thread, the administration is taking a hard look at him. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

The SEC patch on the jersey will help here 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cochamps said:

maybe I’m wrong here, but DF is heavily outdated. Turf field, curious how many sec teams have turf ? The stands, concessions, lay out was cool in the 70’s. But bottom line, ncaa doesn’t care, cut them their check and you’re good to host 

pure blasphemy, Dell Diamond would be a good host site 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I agree with this. I did bow out earlier this season one reason is pierce the other is we switched to YouTube tv so getting LHN was unreasonably hard. Whatever but I did observe from a distance. I came back for the regionals because I do think he gets more out of his teams in the post season, it’s actually his best coaching trait, the problem is the baseline team is never the best or close enough to out perform and be the best. There are always holes, deep flaws in his teams. The fact is the program isn’t steady. That’s a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Host and advance to supers 4/5 years

You can quibble about whether this should be the standard but it’s about as close to the historical performance of the program over 80 years as you can describe. You may slightly over state it but if so only by a smidge. Because it’s the historical performance over a 80 year period I tend to think it should be the stated standard for Texas baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Elite players - hs and transfers - don’t want to showcase their talent in Lawrence and Cincinnati 

How about Omaha?

Minute Maid or Globe Life every year?

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, WBT said:

How about Omaha?

Exactly. The program will get a bump but any time there’s an issue with Texas performance it’s about Texas not the league Texas is in. When this program is on it’s the best and second is rarely close. We are our own worst enemy 

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ll default to @closetojumping on baseball NIL. I think I recall a post that says he has a pretty good budget he just uses it poorly or something of that nature. 

Spending your NIL to keep Porter Brown and Jack O’Dowd would definitely be considered “spending poorly”. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe I’m wrong here, but DF is heavily outdated. Turf field, curious how many sec teams have turf ? The stands, concessions, lay out was cool in the 70’s. But bottom line, ncaa doesn’t care, cut them their check and you’re good to host 

pure blasphemy, Dell Diamond would be a good host site 

DF is not outdated anymore. Although not having cup holders on the chairs is a fucking crime.

For all the complaining about the turf it is a non factor. This isn’t the old carpet.
Disch could be bigger and we probably should make the bleachers permanent down the left field line but I like having the food trucks.
Dell was the fucking worst regional host site. Maybe that’s just because of the results we had though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

DF is not outdated anymore. Although not having cup holders on the chairs is a fucking crime.

For all the complaining about the turf it is a non factor. This isn’t the old carpet.
Disch could be bigger and we probably should make the bleachers permanent down the left field line but I like having the food trucks.
Dell was the fucking worst regional host site. Maybe that’s just because of the results we had though. 

Is Omaha grass and dirt? This isn’t Astro turf so the advantages aren’t there anymore. Go to grass and dirt like I’m sure all other SEC teams are. Disch could definitely use more upgrades and seating moving forward. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

And it was as hot as the surface of the sun that year.  Followed by a monsoon Sunday? night.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

How about Omaha?

Minute Maid or Globe Life every year?

We went to Omaha back to back years and got TCUs 4th outfielder and a turmoil-filled USCs C and Sunday arm.

I don’t understand how there’s possibly an argument that being in the SEC won’t significantly improve our standing with transfers. And our standing with potential Pierce replacements. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is Omaha grass and dirt? This isn’t Astro turf so the advantages aren’t there anymore. Go to grass and dirt like I’m sure all other SEC teams are. 

Oh I agree, I’m just saying it isn’t a big deal. It’s not like the turf is driving away recruits or making us lose games. Thats my only point.

I still though don’t see that happening with us having no practice field. That’s always been the excuse in the past at least 

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Elite players - hs and transfers - don’t want to showcase their talent in Lawrence and Cincinnati 

The SEC bump will help a little. It hasn’t been a major hindrance overall but it has popped up from time to time. We lost out on a few portal guys over the years because they wanted to play in the SEC and not the Big 12. One last year was transferring from another Big 12 program and said he liked Texas but didn’t want to stay in the conference.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

The SEC bump will help a little. It hasn’t been a major hindrance overall but it has popped up from time to time. We lost out on a few portal guys over the years because they wanted to play in the SEC and not the Big 12. One last year was transferring from another Big 12 program and said he liked Texas but didn’t want to stay in the conference.

Assumed Branch didn’t want to play for Rodriguez 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cochamps said:

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

They had everything they needed. 

Witt commanded an outsized portion of baseball's NIL budget. Re-injury (remaining injured?) really hurt this team in terms of overall performance, pitching depth, and ROI on NIL. Pierce obviously had some bad luck with his transfer pool, but he's still the person accountable for roster decisions.

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Spending your NIL to keep Porter Brown and Jack O’Dowd would definitely be considered “spending poorly”. 

Getting a guy who hit .323 last year with 12 homers and 59 RBI’s to bypass professional opportunities and come back was seen as a very good get at the time.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20. I don’t think anyone could have predicted the year he had.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kolby Branch?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Spending your NIL to keep Porter Brown

Uh, he hit 0.323 with 12 HR last year.  Not a bad call.  He fell off a cliff, maybe the $ went to his head, but it wasn't a bad decision whatsoever.

EDIT:  already covered, I hit send about 5 seconds late

Edited by jimmyjazz

Posted (edited)

Look no farther than Schloss in College Station to compare program health. He's in his third year with an obvious upward trajectory and a real sense of how to command the transfer portal to upgrade the roster. Sure, DP's aggregate results haven't been bad in the grand scheme of college baseball, but how can anyone have confidence in him when there's no consistent performance across the program? He's completely bungled on-field assistant coaching hires, shown his arrogance and a lack of leadership when it comes to pitching development/the pitching coach position, and hasn't proven to be able to manage the roster composition well. 

He's not a bad coach if Texas wants to be a top-10 or 15% program. But that's not the standard, nor representative of the advantages a coach has at a program like Texas.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Look no farther than Schloss in College Station to compare program health. He's in his third year with an obvious upward trajectory and a real sense of how to command the transfer portal to upgrade the roster. Sure, DP's aggregate results haven't been bad in the grand scheme of college baseball, but how can anyone have confidence in him when there's no consistent performance across the program? He's completely bungled on-field assistant coaching hires, shown his arrogance and a lack of leadership when it comes to pitching development/the pitching coach position, and hasn't proven to be able to manage the roster composition well. 

He's not a bad coach if Texas wants to be a top-10 or 15% program. But that's not the standard, nor representative of the advantages a coach has at a program like Texas.

Look no further*

• Drool 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh I agree, I’m just saying it isn’t a big deal. It’s not like the turf is driving away recruits or making us lose games. Thats my only point.

I still though don’t see that happening with us having no practice field. That’s always been the excuse in the past at least 

Yeah I highly doubt recruits don’t like turf.  More high schools are switching to turf for baseball because they’re cheaper to maintain and it allows them to host tournaments/playoff games without fear of rain canceling them. 

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Schloss can lick my taint.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic