[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh I agree, I’m just saying it isn’t a big deal. It’s not like the turf is driving away recruits or making us lose games. Thats my only point.

I still though don’t see that happening with us having no practice field. That’s always been the excuse in the past at least 

My understanding is the field doesn’t get enough sunlight to grow grass. Or at a minimum, it will be a challenge. Maybe need a retractable clam shell?

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh I agree, I’m just saying it isn’t a big deal. It’s not like the turf is driving away recruits or making us lose games. Thats my only point.

I still though don’t see that happening with us having no practice field. That’s always been the excuse in the past at least 

Part of why we need to do a huge push to upgrade our baseball facilities. Looking around I feel like we’re not in the top 5 of SEC baseball facilities. That is unacceptable IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Look no farther than Schloss in College Station to compare program health. He's in his third year with an obvious upward trajectory and a real sense of how to command the transfer portal to upgrade the roster. Sure, DP's aggregate results haven't been bad in the grand scheme of college baseball, but how can anyone have confidence in him when there's no consistent performance across the program? He's completely bungled on-field assistant coaching hires, shown his arrogance and a lack of leadership when it comes to pitching development/the pitching coach position, and hasn't proven to be able to manage the roster composition well. 

He's not a bad coach if Texas wants to be a top-10 or 15% program. But that's not the standard, nor representative of the advantages a coach has at a program like Texas.

This.  I have mentioned before that Little Nigel was recruited by both (albeit lightly).  It is not surprising at all the success Schloss is having.  He is a better, more persistent recruiter.  UT’s decline in the past three years can, in part, be tied to A&M’s rise.  A&M has projected MLB 1st round draft picks in their 1-2-3 hitters.  UT is not there.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hasn't CDC already said the move to grass is happening within the next few years?

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Part of why we need to do a huge push to upgrade our baseball facilities. Looking around I feel like we’re not in the top 5 of SEC baseball facilities. That is unacceptable IMO

The player development facility is nice but I agree overall. Part of the reason having a permanent structure down the left field line would help is being able to expand underneath it. I just wonder what we can do given the limited space. The home locker room is definitely too small.

Edited by hobbes2702

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

i've looked in on this thread occasionally and am not yet in the shoot dp camp

how can we blame him for the errors?   that's player execution not corching

It’s all his job. He’s in charge. And I don’t think anyone is blaming him for the errors.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i've looked in on this thread occasionally and am not yet in the shoot dp camp

how can we blame him for the errors?   that's player execution not corching

There are many more concerns than solely the errors that occurred last night.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is this a major problem? We hover around 5th-7th best fan base in the SEC. Facilities are likely in line with that. Austin is an easy travel destination. More cheap GA seats added will only serve to erode home field advantage at this point. 

The home slate (and home performance) was pretty bad this year, but the crowds were extremely tame and half the park sold their Atm seat. 

12 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Is this a major problem? We hover around 5th-7th best fan base in the SEC. Facilities are likely in line with that. Austin is an easy travel destination. More cheap GA seats added will only serve to erode home field advantage at this point. 

The home slate (and home performance) was pretty bad this year, but the crowds were extremely tame and half the park sold their Atm seat. 

Is this a serious questions? Are facilities important in talent acquisition? Are you seriously asking such a stupid fucking question.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm confident we can afford to make whatever upgrades are needed to put us at the top of the SEC, and will do so.  The only limiting thing will be real estate, and as far as DF is concerned, we're already good in terms of seating capacity.  Lack of separate practice facilities could be a concern, but I'm pretty sure the stadium itself will be soon upgraded to be as good as it gets.  When has Texas NOT spent the money?

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Look no farther than Schloss in College Station to compare program health. He's in his third year with an obvious upward trajectory and a real sense of how to command the transfer portal to upgrade the roster. Sure, DP's aggregate results haven't been bad in the grand scheme of college baseball, but how can anyone have confidence in him when there's no consistent performance across the program? He's completely bungled on-field assistant coaching hires, shown his arrogance and a lack of leadership when it comes to pitching development/the pitching coach position, and hasn't proven to be able to manage the roster composition well. 

He's not a bad coach if Texas wants to be a top-10 or 15% program. But that's not the standard, nor representative of the advantages a coach has at a program like Texas.

Didn’t Aggie just approve a huge facility upgrade too ?

lsu has non lsu mlb players in their facilities in the offseason. looking to improve and get better. That tells me their hitting lab is top fucking notch 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm confident we can afford to make whatever upgrades are needed to put us at the top of the SEC, and will do so.  The only limiting thing will be real estate, and as far as DF is concerned, we're already good in terms of seating capacity.  Lack of separate practice facilities could be a concern, but I'm pretty sure the stadium itself will be soon upgraded to be as good as it gets.  When has Texas NOT spent the money?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What's your point?  We're not in the top 15 facilities now so we can't get there?

Nobody can out-spend us.  Real estate might be a limitation, but money never will be.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's your point?  We're not in the top 15 facilities now so we can't get there?

Nobody can out-spend us.  Real estate might be a limitation, but money never will be.

There are several programs willing to outspend and currently are outspending us.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

There are several programs willing to outspend and currently are outspending us.

Yup. We’ve always been shitty with baseball spending. Disch was fucking decrepit for a long long time before the renovations. 

Just now, chase25 said:

There is a huge difference between currently out-spending us and the ability to out-spend us.  I don't know if you're aware of this, but our athletic department prints money.  If we choose not to spend that money on baseball, then that's on CDC and the rest of the administration.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is a huge difference between currently out-spending us and the ability to out-spend us.  I don't know if you're aware of this, but our athletic department prints money.  If we choose not to spend that money on baseball, then that's on CDC and the rest of the administration.

Mississippi State knows they will never be anything in football or basketball, so they commit a lot of resources to baseball. LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and even Tennessee are all programs with more than enough money to spend and are willing to spend it.

Mississippi State knows they will never be anything in football or basketball, so they commit a lot of resources to baseball. LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and even Tennessee are all programs with more than enough money to spend and are willing to spend it.

I still don't understand your point.  We have the money.  Blame the administration if we won't spend it.  We can surely spend in that realm.  We don't?  Oh well.

We're top 5 in attendance, so if facilities are a headwind in recruiting, don't blame it on David Pierce.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I still don't understand your point.  We have the money.  Blame the administration if we won't spend it.  We can surely spend in that realm.  We don't?  Oh well.

We're top 5 in attendance, so if facilities are a headwind in recruiting, don't blame it on David Pierce.

I’m not blaming anybody, I’m telling you there at least 5 baseball programs in college baseball that would match us dollar for dollar. Could probably even throw Ole Miss and Florida in that category as well. 

Texas tries to compete nationally at the highest level in every sport. A lot of schools don’t have that luxury.

Edited by chase25

I’m not blaming anybody, I’m telling you there at least 5 baseball programs in college baseball that would match us dollar for dollar. Could probably even through Ole Miss and Florida in that category as well. 

OK, match those programs.  I really don't think this is a concept foreign to CDC or the current administration.

And again, if we WON'T spend at the top 10 level then it's bullshit to demand top 10 performance out of the coach.

If this is the end, Hurley killing any hope of a comeback feels about right.  Pierce told us all he was going to be a dominant weekend starter headed into the year.

3 hours ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

This.  I have mentioned before that Little Nigel was recruited by both (albeit lightly).  It is not surprising at all the success Schloss is having.  He is a better, more persistent recruiter.  UT’s decline in the past three years can, in part, be tied to A&M’s rise.  A&M has projected MLB 1st round draft picks in their 1-2-3 hitters.  UT is not there.

We might not have 1st rounders but we have Porter Brown, O’Dowd, and Dee Kennedy

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

2021 CWS semifinals

2022 CWS 0-2

2023 Lost super regional 

2024 Lost regional 

I like the trajectory of the program.

Yeah pretty easy call. Program moving backwards rapidly 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic