[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What would be the first clue that Pierce may be on his way out (other than this season)?

His answer to the question already asked, “are you coming back next year?” 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

What would be the first clue that Pierce may be on his way out (other than this season)?

Silence will tell us everything we need to know. My guess is if pressed, CDC would give some neutral answer about being in OKC with the softball team and meeting with Pierce once he gets back to Austin or something of the sort.

The hammer could also be dropped tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Silence will tell us everything we need to know. My guess is if pressed, CDC would give some neutral answer about being in OKC with the softball team and meeting with Pierce once he gets back to Austin or something of the sort.

The hammer could also be dropped tomorrow.

I think he learned his lesson from that Herman vote of confidence memo.

10 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Looks like recently been a lot of large buildings (dorms) built close by and wonder if they may account for increased winds being more frequent now.  

You are correct, but I'm just picturing Pierce at his exit-interview like Joliet Jake, "Look, a lot of things were out of my hands.  Married student housing caused a number of atmospheric anomalies, there were bees, locusts, an old friend came in from out of town, my car broke down, I didn't have enough money for cabfare.  You gotta believe me.  I love this place, I swear to God!"  

There's gonna one more new build directly across the street from the 1b line.  And a long-term plan calling for a complete revamp for the area between the OF and the tennis center.  Good news is the other team has to play in the same weather pattern unlike the Mack Brown theory which stated that it was always raining, boiling hot, or freezing cold when we had the ball but the other team played their possessions inside of a dome.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think he learned his lesson from that Herman vote of confidence memo.

Which goes back to my original question of how long do you get the guy twist in the wind. The CWS doesn't wrap up until June 24th. What if the guy you want plays all the way til the end or close to the end? Or he strings you along and then says nevermind I'm staying at my current spot? The portal is going to explode starting tomorrow and the worst thing you can do is just let Pierce sit there as a lame duck. It would potentially set the new guy back even further. If the job comes open this week, then maybe that will give some pause to players and coaches as they wait around to see what might happen with Texas. But it could also cause some of the circus we saw in 2016 (although many other factors were obviously involved including the interim AD stuff).

At some point in the next 14-22 days the question will need to be answered and CDC can't just play coy and be silent for the entire time.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

If Pierce is gone, he need only look in the mirror to find the culprit. Injuries, transfers bailing, yada yada...no matter the challenges, he ultimately has to figure it out. This team had excuses, but there seemed to be a lack of leadership all year. Not being beloved in the athletic department doesn't help his cause a bit. 

1 minute ago, WBT said:

In the cemetary?

Well, that's a pretty grave way to describe Pierce's future in the program.  

No, that staging area space with all the construction shit between MLK & 20th, just east of Comal.  

1 hour ago, OB3 said:

And for those of you who need help understanding, Sark, Mike White, Jared Elliot, Vic ect aren’t getting asked this question. 

Charlie Strong did

take from that what you want 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Which goes back to my original question of how long do you get the guy twist in the wind. The CWS doesn't wrap up until June 24th. What if the guy you want plays all the way til the end or close to the end? Or he strings you along and then says nevermind I'm staying at my current spot? The portal is going to explode starting tomorrow and the worst thing you can do is just let Pierce sit there as a lame duck. It would potentially set the new guy back even further. If the job comes open this week, then maybe that will give some pause to players and coaches as they wait around to see what might happen with Texas. But it could also cause some of the circus we saw in 2016 (although many other factors were obviously involved including the interim AD stuff).

At some point in the next 14-22 days the question will need to be answered and CDC can't just play coy and be silent for the entire time.

Could be some clarity, depending on who candidates are after next weekend in the supers. 

I'd think maybe sometime shortly after next Sunday/Monday if I were guessing.

Just came from CDC's twitter page, he's talking up the ladies rowing championship and other jazz.  No mention of a good season, David P, or baseball in any manner.  He knows if he puts something up there will be hell to pay in the replies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

3 total quad 4 losses from 2021-2023.  8 this season.  The general lack of consistency is irritating but losing 8 WTF games with this talent is not our standard.  GTFO 

If we had won all those games we probably wouldve been hosting this week. But then we also wouldve had a better team and coach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

3 total quad 4 losses from 2021-2023.  8 this season.  The general lack of consistency is irritating but losing 8 WTF games with this talent is not our standard.  GTFO 

Jesus Christ, this is as unacceptable as Sark losing to North Texas.

While Pierce's own hiring does counter my point to some degree, Texas fans would be wise to remember that we are literally the Joneses when it comes to college baseball.  If CDC fires Pierce, it's akin to the Kansas basketball job coming open, or the Alabama football job.  I'm not terribly worried about the timeline.  It's not ideal, what with the portal window and Supers + CWS, but those are short term issues that will soon be in the rear view mirror should a new hire already have been in place.  A great coach will always be more important than specific roster issues, which can be overcome in short order.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

While Pierce's own hiring does counter my point to some degree, Texas fans would be wise to remember that we are literally the Joneses when it comes to college baseball.  If CDC fires Pierce, it's akin to the Kansas basketball job coming open, or the Alabama football job.  I'm not terribly worried about the timeline.  It's not ideal, what with the portal window and Supers + CWS, but those are short term issues that will soon be in the rear view mirror should a new hire already have been in place.  A great coach will always be more important than specific roster issues, which can be overcome in short order.

Counterpoint is CDC didn’t make that hire and we didn’t even have a real AD at the time. Which you know. I just don’t think you needed the caveat because it was a special circumstance. 

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They had to bring the fences in at the Disch. It was starting to hurt in recruiting. We hit 22 home runs as a team in 2014 lol.

The NCAA also changed the seams on the baseball in 2015, and offense started to take off ever since. 

Even with the moved-in fences, the park still plays pretty pitcher-friendly when the wind isn't howling out (which has seemed to happen more and more in the last few years for whatever reason).

And finished 3rd in Omaha.  lol

Eliminated with 1 run loss in 10 inn to national champion Vanderbilt.  

The 365' ft alley to right center is embarrassing for Texas Baseball.   DFF designed by Gus was the same dimensions as Omaha.

Please update us on paysite info about Pierce.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just came from CDC's twitter page, he's talking up the ladies rowing championship and other jazz.  No mention of a good season, David P, or baseball in any manner.  He knows if he puts something up there will be hell to pay in the replies.

Second clue… he gone, like Hall & Oates she’s gone but better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

This team had excuses, but there seemed to be a lack of leadership all year. 

You do not do what we did in conference with a lack of leadership.  Then they went out and battled a team that can pitch and hit on their field.  A team that’s been entrenched in the top 10 for a long time.

i guess we can return to the narrative that the Big 12 sucked even though several have outplayed their seed this weekend.

We were a good team that played hard.  The pitching was more consistent and likely more effective than the hitting.

25 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

How many conference teams were quad 4 in those years?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

CDC’s other diamond hire: 5 straight supers and a win tomorrow away from 2 Champ series appearances in the last 3 seasons

He isn’t going to let Pierce keep dragging this storied program down 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I dislike the "only change if you can upgrade" thing that people always say. 

First of all, no fucking shit. The reason you're thinking about firing a guy is because he's not performing. 

I also don't think that fear of screwing up the hiring process should keep you married to a poor coach. That's horrible logic.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If prior history is any indication I’d assume that CDC has already had back channel communications of some sorts. The decision to actually fire was on the fence until this weekend. 

This is the way.  Cdc has crushed every hire other than basketball (no real choice after the tourney run) and football (not really involved though obviously going well).

We are at worst a top 3 job, with strong nil support that will only increase if you have a coach who isn't widely perceived as an asshole.

We're fucking Texas and CDC isn't Patterson.  From what I hear, he's always got a running list and this season didn't come out of nowhere.  He's got his top two guys or his clear number one.  

And if history is an indication, we won't know until right before it happens.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

None of the 9.95ers are saying anything about this?

Baseball doesn't pay the bills on those sites so the info shared is often sporadic, especially during the season. I'm sure there will be a few nuggets this week.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Baseball doesn't pay the bills on those sites so the info shared is often sporadic, especially during the season. I'm sure there will be a few nuggets this week.

Seems like OTF is the best with baseball info but it's not much. Shit is hard to find for sure.

Another thing I’ve been thinking about all season is how many of our better players each season start the year without a role and have to play their way onto the field after others fail?  Grubbs on the mound this year. Powell last year. Stehly before.  Does DP know what he has?

Vitello has to be the guy if we move on from Pierce. He has yet to win the big one but he's now gone to 4 supers in a row and accounted for 1/3 of Tennessee's CWS trips and half their Supers. He's also averaging about 50 per year the last 4. For reference Pierce has just one since being hired. 

Also if we play the AD relationship game to see who CDC has a history with its either Vitello (TCU 11-13) or Saarloos (14-present). This is assuming Schloss stays put in the Jimbo of College baseball role he's gotten pretty good at. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Vitello has to be the guy if we move on from Pierce. He has yet to win the big one but he's now gone to 4 supers in a row and accounted for 1/3 of Tennessee's CWS trips and half their Supers. He's also averaging about 50 per year the last 4. For reference Pierce has just one since being hired. 

Also if we play the AD relationship game to see who CDC has a history with its either Vitello (TCU 11-13) or Saarloos (14-present). This is assuming Schloss stays put in the Jimbo of College baseball role he's gotten pretty good at. 

I would love Vitello and think he would win huge here, but I don't think it is happening for a variety of reasons. Saarloos should be a complete non-starter at this point. That dude's seat at TCU will be somewhat warm headed into next year after the total flop this year when they went all-in.

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Another thing I’ve been thinking about all season is how many of our better players each season start the year without a role and have to play their way onto the field after others fail?  Grubbs on the mound this year. Powell last year. Stehly before.  Does DP know what he has?

He does not.  Every year we end up replacing 1 if not 2 of our weekend starters.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

You're going to get a lot of shit for this take, but I agree. I'd love Schloss or Vitello. I don't want Saarloos though. I know plenty of people don't like the first two, but I'd change my tune if either of those "assholes" were our asshole.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic