[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

The Longhorns baseball season came to an abrupt end on Sunday afternoon following a 10-2 loss to Louisiana. Despite beating the Ragin Cajuns on Friday with relative ease, Texas turned into Jekyll and Hyde yet again and looked like a completely different team. Maybe it was due to a post-Texas A&M hangover like a couple of players mentioned in the post-game press conference. Maybe it wasn't. We'll never know, but it's something Horns fans have grown accustomed to over the course of a season that was filled with plenty of questions and little answers. 

One question that was asked the most over the majority of the season was what will become of Texas Head Coach David Pierce's future in Austin. 

Now, with the season over in disappointing fashion, we will get an answer.

But what will it be?

Yesterday I spoke with numerous sources trying to find out where things might be headed. I can't say I was surprised when all of them had nearly the same answer...

Texas fans should expect hard conversations to be had and other options and avenues to be explored. 

We'll leave it at that for now. It's something we'll continue to monitor and obviously will bring you guys the latest as it happens.

- Blake Munroe

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yesterday I spoke with numerous sources trying to find out where things might be headed. I can't say I was surprised when all of them had nearly the same answer...

Common answer was either crickets or fuck off that is why it is ..

Season’s over CDC start the evaluations. 
Did the team get better?

Did the players develop?

What is the state of the program, is there energy and enthusiasm going into off season?

Is DP the best option for moving into the SEC?

50 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

There's some in-conference competition now -- I hope CDC knows.

SC is going to go young and aggressive, maybe even a first time D1 hc. Lot of ties to hs baseball. It’s a good job 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

They’re going to move fast …..

Damn, now gone thru two Head Coaches since their 2010-2012 great stretch for Cocks

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope we don’t slow play the fuck outta this. 

I suspect we already have our guy and we're just waiting for that coaches season to end before it's announced. 

So just because we don't hear anything, don't assume it's being slow played.

I don't have any 995 to confirm that, just seems to be the way it's gone under CDC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, the "well, we can't approach anybody during the post-season" excuse is bullshit.  The only kind of coach you want coming here is a deep-into-the-postseason kind of guy.  Unless it's an internal hire.  

But Bill Little used to tell this story about him recommending one name, and one name only, to DeLoss when Cliff was on his way out.  Augie.  But he had to remind DeLoss what many people forget, post-season college baseball is by far the longest in duration.  It's technically just three rounds, but it lasts to almost 1 July.  You can't wait that long in most cases.  Plus now you've got the draft moved and the portal.  We can't hold our dicks for another month because some guy we like is headed for Omaha.  It's not like football, where boom, bowl games are done, let's make an offer---and interim coaches reign frequently.  

And enough with the "up-and-comer" mentality.  It's fucking tiring.  We were blessed with a string of legendary coaches in baseball.  But a guy who had "some" success at Sam Houston State and Tulane?  Same with Shaka at VCU, Herman at Houston, Strong at Louisville.  We're picking these "rising stars" who don't win shit.  Sark is finally getting it done.  Terry is just in a weird position but has some more upside.  But this is Texas Baseball.  It's actually more of a prominent blue blood than our football program.  You don't go waiting until the end of the post-season to make an offer to the coach of So. Mississippi out of respect for his tourney run.  /rant

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But Bill Little used to tell this story about him recommending one name, and one name only, to DeLoss when Cliff was on his way out.  Augie.  But he had to remind DeLoss what many people forget, post-season college baseball is by far the longest in duration.  It's technically just three rounds, but it lasts to almost 1 July.  

RIP Bill Little, but I have to laugh about him "recommending" the best coach in college baseball. 

Yeah way to go out on a limb, Bill. I am sure DeLoss was like "Intriguing... And how do you spell that gentleman's name?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

38 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I suspect we already have our guy and we're just waiting for that coaches season to end before it's announced. 

So just because we don't hear anything, don't assume it's being slow played.

I don't have any 995 to confirm that, just seems to be the way it's gone under CDC.

Rangers aren’t making the playoffs, hire bochy now !

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, the "well, we can't approach anybody during the post-season" excuse is bullshit.  The only kind of coach you want coming here is a deep-into-the-postseason kind of guy.  Unless it's an internal hire.  

But Bill Little used to tell this story about him recommending one name, and one name only, to DeLoss when Cliff was on his way out.  Augie.  But he had to remind DeLoss what many people forget, post-season college baseball is by far the longest in duration.  It's technically just three rounds, but it lasts to almost 1 July.  You can't wait that long in most cases.  Plus now you've got the draft moved and the portal.  We can't hold our dicks for another month because some guy we like is headed for Omaha.  It's not like football, where boom, bowl games are done, let's make an offer---and interim coaches reign frequently.  

And enough with the "up-and-comer" mentality.  It's fucking tiring.  We were blessed with a string of legendary coaches in baseball.  But a guy who had "some" success at Sam Houston State and Tulane?  Same with Shaka at VCU, Herman at Houston, Strong at Louisville.  We're picking these "rising stars" who don't win shit.  Sark is finally getting it done.  Terry is just in a weird position but has some more upside.  But this is Texas Baseball.  It's actually more of a prominent blue blood than our football program.  You don't go waiting until the end of the post-season to make an offer to the coach of So. Mississippi out of respect for his tourney run.  /rant

I was with you and then you lost me 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

SC is going to go young and aggressive, maybe even a first time D1 hc. Lot of ties to hs baseball. It’s a good job 

I'm an old, and the chickens are an old enemy of Texas in Omaha.

We beat'em for 2 CWS titles in '75 and '02 (if not even more Omaha meetings), but you can't lose to them when you're looking for your next coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You don't go waiting until the end of the post-season to make an offer to the coach of So. Mississippi out of respect for his tourney run.  /rant

You've spelt "Tennessee" incorrectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I was with you and then you lost me 

same.

27 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You've spelt "Tennessee" incorrectly.

or is it Florida?

it might look like we are waiting out of respect but yeah I bet the deal is done very soon.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

But a guy who had "some" success at Sam Houston State and Tulane?  Same with Shaka at VCU, Herman at Houston, Strong at Louisville.  We're picking these "rising stars" who don't win shit. 

I don't think anybody thought Pierce was a rising star. He was a competent coach with some decent results. He was the best we could do at the time for whatever reason. All the top coaches turned us down, I think both because our Athletic Department was a shitshow and the pressure of following Augie.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean what's the timeframe here on DP getting fired? CDC won't release a statement if he's not planning on firing him so how long will this go with no news that would give us an indication that we're fucked with DP next season?

Time frame is when CDC has his man identified and agreed to take the job.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't think anybody thought Pierce was a rising star. He was a competent coach with some decent results. He was the best we could do at the time for whatever reason. All the top coaches turned us down, I think both because our Athletic Department was a shitshow and the pressure of following Augie.

Yeah, Patterson was a fucking loser. He made bad hires. I think you are also right ab out following Augie. I think ultimately Pierce's legacy will be that he was the bridge coach that led to us becoming great again. Kinda like Herman.  

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Not that you're wrong, but Perrin hired Pierce. 

It was even worse.  Interim AD allowed to hire for our blue blood sport.  Goat rodeo where we got turned down by errbody publicly. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It was even worse.  Interim AD allowed to hire for our blue blood sport.  Goat rodeo where we got turned down by errbody publicly. 

Can't remember the other two but Perrin got three of them big fat raises at their respective schools,.....Schloss, O'Sullivan, and Corbin.

He really screwed the pooch.

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I totally forgot. Youre right lol. Fucking interim AD

I really wanted to like Perrin. He seemed like a good guy. Then the baseball shitshow happened.

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic