Getting old sucks

Hate

On 5/30/2024 at 2:34 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Swimmin' pools, movie stars . . . 

That's what popped in my head when I read your sentence.  Then I thought, why would old Jed Clampett care about any of that?  Which led me on a search to find out how old Jed Clampett was when he moved to Beverly Hills.  I learned that Buddy Epsen was 54 when the show stared. 

Guess how old I am going to be in a few weeks? 

Dammit!

Two years younger than my firstborn son….

IMG_1533.jpeg

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Wilford Brimley was 32 in Cocoon.  

Double check that math.  He was born in 1934 and Cocoon was released in 1985.  But he still looked much older than 51.

Apparently my genes suck regarding arteries... got my first stent put in on Monday for >80% blockage of LAD artery. Doc said at my age (53), fitness level and weight no reason to have so much blockage.  Apparently my years of running masked typical symptoms that should have already shown up.  My cancer bout 2 yrs ago cause me to stop running for the year and with loss of endurance was enough to give me early warning when I started running again.  Fuck cancer, but this time likely saved me from a much worse outcome.   Also... I don't know what getting stent placement looked like 10-20 yrs ago... but now I was awake entire time and had less discomfort, pain and nervousness from the procedure than getting a dental filling. Risk is there I'm sure, but certainly didn't feel like it. As soon as doc finished she showed me before/after play by play video on screen of what she did while I was still laying on the table.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Apparently my genes suck regarding arteries... got my first stent put in on Monday for >80% blockage of LAD artery. Doc said at my age (53), fitness level and weight no reason to have so much blockage.  Apparently my years of running masked typical symptoms that should have already shown up.  My cancer bout 2 yrs ago cause me to stop running for the year and with loss of endurance was enough to give me early warning when I started running again.  Fuck cancer, but this time likely saved me from a much worse outcome.   Also... I don't know what getting stent placement looked like 10-20 yrs ago... but now I was awake entire time and had less discomfort, pain and nervousness from the procedure than getting a dental filling. Risk is there I'm sure, but certainly didn't feel like it. As soon as doc finished she showed me before/after play by play video on screen of what she did while I was still laying on the table.

Denton Cooley would tell his friends about heart disease that except for smoking--smoking will kill you, it's your genes.  He saw a few hearts in his time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Denton Cooley operated on my Dad. My stepmother kept interrupting him during the post-op briefing questioning why he did this or why he did that because she never approved whatever it was. Possibly the most embarrassing moment of my life. On the bright side, she decided to drive him home 300 miles from Houston the day he was released. Popped a shitload of internal stitches and he never fully recovered, but she was tired of staying in a Houston hotel. 

• Rage+1 1

Guess it’s time to join 😂😂

Ortho this afternoon, then probably an MRI, but 99% sure I’ll be having my 2nd meniscus surgery on my right knee.

Perhaps 72 holes of golf wasn’t the brightest idea!

For the second time this month I set my phone on the back bumper of my truck and then forgot to get it before driving off.  The first time it made it several miles before sliding off.  I didn’t realize it until I got home, but using the find my iPhone app on my IPad I located it on Woodway drive.  Unfortunately it had been run over several times.  This time it made it to within a block of my house so it didn’t get run over and the screen is just completely smashed.  I guess I’m going to have to start wearing it in a pouch around my neck like a giant lifealert.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For the second time this month I set my phone on the back bumper of my truck and then forgot to get it before driving off.  The first time it made it several miles before sliding off.  I didn’t realize it until I got home, but using the find my iPhone app on my IPad I located it on Woodway drive.  Unfortunately it had been run over several times.  This time it made it to within a block of my house so it didn’t get run over and the screen is just completely smashed.  I guess I’m going to have to start wearing it in a pouch around my neck like a giant lifealert.

I drove over my own phone --- twice. Heard this huge crunching sound, immediately stopped, got out, looked all around my truck .. couldn't see anything (phone was under my tire), packed up a few feet further, turned my wheels (I was in a parking garage on a slope), managed to run over it a second time, got out, and this time it was visible.  It was in my pants pocket as I was getting in my truck and it must have squeezed out, like a pimple. In retrospect, I heard it clatter, but I was in downtown Austin and there was all kinds of ambient noise from the street and other cars in the garage and I barely heard it and certainly didn't pay any attention to it. You don't feel dumb until you drive over your own phone.

• Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I drove over my own phone --- twice. Heard this huge crunching sound, immediately stopped, got out, looked all around my truck .. couldn't see anything (phone was under my tire), packed up a few feet further, turned my wheels (I was in a parking garage on a slope), managed to run over it a second time, got out, and this time it was visible.  It was in my pants pocket as I was getting in my truck and it must have squeezed out, like a pimple. In retrospect, I heard it clatter, but I was in downtown Austin and there was all kinds of ambient noise from the street and other cars in the garage and I barely heard it and certainly didn't pay any attention to it. You don't feel dumb until you drive over your own phone.

Back to the 90s, gentlemen. 
S75f29b9f446e47388585675c0d06978cf.jpg_6

On 6/12/2024 at 8:45 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Got the first of four stent implants 24 years ago, the last one after a heart attack in 2018. 
The  first three were done before the invention of the plug for the groin femoral artery. 
Back then after the cath was removed, a nurse used their hand to put pressure on the stitched incision for 30 minutes to clot it up. 
My first time it was a good looking blonde babe who performed that task, so that was nice….even though the situation didn’t induce any embarrassing “reaction” from her touch. 
The next two were done by male nurses, so no fun there.

The last one six years ago was a breeze with the newfangled plug, and there was very little bruising. 
Same with the TAVR procedure last September.

During the first two stent implants, the docs let me watch it live on their monitors. Pretty interesting stuff, and the second one was actually ticklish when he was poking the catheter through the 100% blockage to insert the balloon. Kinda funny feeling that poking deep in my chest, so I asked him what would happen if a chunk of that plaque broke off. 
He replied, “Well, you could have a stroke and die”. 
For some reason (probably the anesthetic) I thought that was funny, and started chuckling. 
Doc said to hold still though.

scary times, but at least they kept me alive.to see VY and 4th & 5.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sciatic nerve pain is no joke. Neurosurgeon wants to perform a discectomy, but I'm really hesitant. I started doing home PT and that seems to help a bit. Last night was the first night of what you would call sleep in a long time.

Mri and x rays show numerous bulging discs. What's your go-to cures/stretches.

Fast forward and I can barely walk,multiple docs all saying I need surgery. On the books to go under the knife on Tuesday for laminectomy.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:45 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I definitely emphasize with you on this. I’m 56, @6 ft tall and have never weighed more than 170. I’ve had nine stents the first coming when I was 41. 
Chemo when I was in late 20’s, bad genes and not really getting serious about exercise until late thirties has made for a shit cocktail in my arteries. 
The difference between my first procedure and my last is huge in terms of ease. I was shocked the last time when they let me go home the same day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I definitely emphasize with you on this. I’m 56, @6 ft tall and have never weighed more than 170. I’ve had nine stents the first coming when I was 41. 
Chemo when I was in late 20’s, bad genes and not really getting serious about exercise until late thirties has made for a shit cocktail in my arteries. 
The difference between my first procedure and my last is huge in terms of ease. I was shocked the last time when they let me go home the same day. 

Yeah, the stent thing was pretty easy for my last one in 2018.

The newfangled plug they stick in the femoral artery after the catheter is removed was a game changer for me.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look man, they said if your erection lasts more than 4 hours, see your doctor…that doesn’t mean you have to rush to the ER.

Saw my cardiologist at 10 am this morning, everything was fine. 
2:30 this afternoon the a-fib cranked up.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Speaking of surgery, I had my discectomy and laminectomy on my L4/5 this afternoon. Can already walk and no nerve pain, at least to the bathroom. So it's a step in the right direction.

Hospital beds are not made for tall people. 903363377743177e3f45da9e28bbf194.jpg

You look high af. See ya in the other thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Came home ok at 8:30pm to discover that the central a/c was not functioning and it was 81 degrees in the house. It was 88 outside when we went to bed at 10:30, and was still 80 in the house this morning.
we got about 3 hours sleep. 
We keep it at 76 daytime, 71 nighttime. 

Since it is the July 4th holiday, the tech service will be double charge if they make it over here.
If necessary we’ll stay at son’s nearby house tonight.
  • Rage+1 6

Came home ok at 8:30pm to discover that the central a/c was not functioning and it was 81 degrees in the house. It was 88 outside when we went to bed at 10:30, and was still 80 in the house this morning.
Since it is the July 4th holiday, the tech service will be double charge if they make it over here. If necessary we’ll stay at son’s nearby house tonight.
Damn AB, hopefully you can get it up and going soon, that sucks.

I'm not sure of your setup, but here in FL, our safety switch float gets tripped when there is super high humidity and stops the AC. I have to blow it out and prime with new water, and it works again. Just a thought, bud.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Since it is the July 4th holiday, the tech service will be double charge if they make it over here.
If necessary we’ll stay at son’s nearby house tonight.

Lat time that happened to us, I went to Walmart and bought a small window unit for the bedroom. Used it until we got the central unit fixed and then sold it to a friend. 8 years later when our AC went out he loaned it back to me until I could get it replaced. The $50 difference from buying and selling it was well worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Service tech guy said the a/c circuit board in the attic shorted out and burned up the blower motor.
Earliest fix is tomorrow afternoon if their warehouse has the parts in stock, so it looks like we will overnight at son’s house nearby.
We are going to his July 4th bbq this afternoon anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3