Getting old sucks

Hate

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

In the last 6 months or so I’ve noticed that I’m getting old man skin on my arms.  I bruise very easily.  I’m almost 62.   

I worked on the yard yesterday and woke up this morning with a huge bruise on my shoulder and have no idea where it came from

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I worked on the yard yesterday and woke up this morning with a huge bruise on my shoulder and have no idea where it came from

Yep.  For most of my arm bruises lately, I have no idea how they got there.  If it hurts enough for me to remember it, it ends up looking like someone took a hammer to my arm.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to take Plavix. I would randomly start bleeding so easily it worried me what would happen if I had an accident. Don't take it anymore, but aspirin is almost as bad.

16 minutes ago, RPM said:

I used to take Plavix. I would randomly start bleeding so easily it worried me what would happen if I had an accident. Don't take it anymore, but aspirin is almost as bad.

That explains a lot. Started a low-dose once a day about 8 months ago. 

On 7/3/2024 at 9:26 PM, Mother mopar said:

Speaking of surgery, I had my discectomy and laminectomy on my L4/5 this afternoon. Can already walk and no nerve pain, at least to the bathroom. So it's a step in the right direction.

Hospital beds are not made for tall people. 903363377743177e3f45da9e28bbf194.jpg

How did you feel when the nerve block wore off?

• Hook 'Em 1

How did you feel when the nerve block wore off?
No nerve block for this surgery. They wanted hooked me to a machine to make sure my nerves were "good" during the surgery and to make sure they were firing.

The pain I felt leaving the hospital has been nothing like I experienced before the surgery. To the point, that I've taken one pain pill; used other means for pain, CBD, CBG,CBN edibles, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 3

When we returned home last Wednesday evening from my 5 hour stay in the ER for the a-fib attack, we discovered our central air unit was not functioning. Got very little sleep that night, even with all the fans running.

Our a/c service cae out that Thursday afternoon to tell us the 12 year old unit needed parts that were not in stock and had to be ordered. 
So we spent the next 4 nights at son’s nearby house until the a/c was fixed Monday afternoon. 
(we had spent the mornings & afternoons in our house).

Anyway, things were back to normal by yesterday. 
Son flew out to Reno on bank business early that morning, then his wife - who had not been feeling well since Sunday - called to inform us she had just tested positive for the Covid. 
Sure hope our son doesn’t get sick and be stuck out in Nevada. 
DIL feels crappy, but not critical. 
No symptoms for us so far. Luckily DIL had isolated herself upstairs our last two days at their house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/7/2024 at 4:27 PM, MissingInAction said:

Bursitis in my left elbow. A heating pad seems to help but I don't have full range of motion.

Any ideas?

I had issues with this two years ago.  Ended up getting a cortisone shot which helped immensely.  The doc had me use these as well.  Made a huge difference.  Haven't had any issues sense.  I still keep one in the console of my truck and try to use it a few times a week while driving. 

image.thumb.png.827438a370259e3027b17ce55c59ac72.png

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/10/2024 at 8:45 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I had issues with this two years ago.  Ended up getting a cortisone shot which helped immensely.  The doc had me use these as well.  Made a huge difference.  Haven't had any issues sense.  I still keep one in the console of my truck and try to use it a few times a week while driving. 

Those help with tennis elbow as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2024 at 7:45 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

Negged ... for getting something and liking it.

• Haha 1

Was traveling earlier this month and the yard got a bit out of hand while we were away.  Took me about 6 hours spread over three of the hottest days of the year to get it back to good.  I guess the combo of pollen, dust, and heat triggered something and I had a massive outbreak of hives.  Fucking miserable.   Couldn't sleep at all from the discomfort and ended up at urgent care where they prescribed a 12-day tapered regimen of prednisone.  The pred completely knocked out the hives for several days, but now that I've tapered down to 20 mg a day, some hives are starting to pop back up. 

I am completely confining myself indoors with good AC.  No yard work, no fishing, no golf, no activity at all.  I'm about to lose my mind.  Never once had hives in my life before turning 50 a couple years back.

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Was traveling earlier this month and the yard got a bit out of hand while we were away.  Took me about 6 hours spread over three of the hottest days of the year to get it back to good.  I guess the combo of pollen, dust, and heat triggered something and I had a massive outbreak of hives.  Fucking miserable.   Couldn't sleep at all from the discomfort and ended up at urgent care where they prescribed a 12-day tapered regimen of prednisone.  The pred completely knocked out the hives for several days, but now that I've tapered down to 20 mg a day, some hives are starting to pop back up. 

I am completely confining myself indoors with good AC.  No yard work, no fishing, no golf, no activity at all.  I'm about to lose my mind.  Never once had hives in my life before turning 50 a couple years back.

I have to believe they didn’t misdiagnose you, but I thought I had hives of some sort several years ago and it turned out to be shingles.  It was pre-Shingrex.  It only knocked me down for a day or so and I was given some antibiotics and it was gone within a week.  I since got the Shingrex shots so hopefully it won’t come back.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

The check I leave under the mat for my yard guy is my favorite expense. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Because I can get insanely focused on figuring out certain things that interest me, I’m now pretty darn knowledgeable about the old man issues of enlarged prostates, BPH, and prostate cancer. If anyone else is trying to figure it all out and has questions, feel free to DM me. Be happy to help however I can. 

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Because I can get insanely focused on figuring out certain things that interest me, I’m now pretty darn knowledgeable about the old man issues of enlarged prostates, BPH, and prostate cancer. If anyone else is trying to figure it all out and has questions, feel free to DM me. Be happy to help however I can. 

My PSA number is always high. I have an MRI and biopsy done every 2 years and it's always been negative for cancer. Even when it hit 15. 5 mg Tadalafil works for BPH and makes you feel like you're 13 again. Also a handful of Valium can make the MRI tolerable, even when I know it's going to pull me in and collapse on me. That's all I got.

52 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This comment slams and goes hard.

I talked my wife into mowing ours after she retired. I haven't mowed in 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

17 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This comment slams and goes hard.

I’m one of those weird guys who likes to do it himself.  I bought good gear that I enjoy using, so I don’t mind popping in the AirPods and having a few hours to myself outside.  Plus, there’s just something about that feeling of looking at that perfectly kept yard knowing that I did that.  A simple pleasure.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m one of those weird guys who likes to do it himself.  I bought good gear that I enjoy using, so I don’t mind popping in the AirPods and having a few hours to myself outside.  Plus, there’s just something about that feeling of looking at that perfectly kept yard knowing that I did that.  A simple pleasure.  

Yeah my next door neighbor is like that too, I laugh at him on a weekly basis. His tree roots are too big and are killing off a bunch of his grass

Refreshing Kermit The Frog GIF

57 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I was at this point, but now I really don’t give a shit. The neighbors to the west of me don’t do shit with theirs, and in the 5 years they’ve lived there, their yard has went from green to mostly purple and yellow. This year I finally caved. It’s all but impossible to keep their trash weeds at bay. Just pissing money down the drain at this point.

My neighbor on the east side is like me, and I gave him a heads up. He wasn’t surprised at all, and neither of us are thrilled with it.

I have chronic gastritis and occasionally I have a major flare up. The first time it happened I woke up in the middle of the night with chest pain and sweats. Thought I was having a heart attack. Horrible family history with heart disease and I thought I was starting down the same path. Did the whole ER thing and nothing but gastritis. A few months ago I again have pains and this time I feel like I'm in a fog and dizzy. ER again and nothing. Had a major flare last night that woke me up, and today had the foggy thing again. Called my doctor and had to do the whole conversation with the triage nurse to make sure I didn't need to go to the ER. Gonna start a 2 week regime of Pepcid AC twice a day and I have an appointment after that. I've changed my diet a lot, but I know I can do more... but don't want to. I love my Dr. Pepper Zero as my caffeine in the morning and my booze on the weekends. I eat healthy most of the time, but sometimes just say fuck it. Then I pay for it. There's only so much I want to do without feeling like what's the point. OK, rant over. Thread title is legit. 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I have chronic gastritis and occasionally I have a major flare up. The first time it happened I woke up in the middle of the night with chest pain and sweats. Thought I was having a heart attack. Horrible family history with heart disease and I thought I was starting down the same path. Did the whole ER thing and nothing but gastritis. A few months ago I again have pains and this time I feel like I'm in a fog and dizzy. ER again and nothing. Had a major flare last night that woke me up, and today had the foggy thing again. Called my doctor and had to do the whole conversation with the triage nurse to make sure I didn't need to go to the ER. Gonna start a 2 week regime of Pepcid AC twice a day and I have an appointment after that. I've changed my diet a lot, but I know I can do more... but don't want to. I love my Dr. Pepper Zero as my caffeine in the morning and my booze on the weekends. I eat healthy most of the time, but sometimes just say fuck it. Then I pay for it. There's only so much I want to do without feeling like what's the point. OK, rant over. Thread title is legit. 

Nexium works better for me.  I’ve had gut issues my whole life. I just live with it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Since these episodes are coming on when you're sleeping, reflux is a likely cause.  Take a look at the foods and drinks (alcohol and caffeine) that relax the lower esophageal sphincter.  Try to avoid those as much as possible before going to bed.  Pepcid AC or one of the PPIs should provide some relief.  You should probably get an upper GI to make sure you don't have any damage from reflux, stomach ulcers, or anything else.  I know way too much about this stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Nexium works better for me.  I’ve had gut issues my whole life. I just live with it.  

You should get an upper GI too if you haven't.  I have Barrett's esophagus from 15 years of reflux.  My father died of esophageal cancer from ignoring the same.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

You should get an upper GI too if you haven't.  I have Barrett's esophagus from 15 years of reflux.  My father died of esophageal cancer from ignoring the same.

I had a law partner die of that and I keep an eye on it.  I also have a known issue with my lower oesophagus and a hiatal hernia.  I’m otherwise pretty fit for 62.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Since these episodes are coming on when you're sleeping, reflux is a likely cause.  Take a look at the foods and drinks (alcohol and caffeine) that relax the lower esophageal sphincter.  Try to avoid those as much as possible before going to bed.  Pepcid AC or one of the PPIs should provide some relief.  You should probably get an upper GI to make sure you don't have any damage from reflux, stomach ulcers, or anything else.  I know way too much about this stuff.

I don't do alcohol, except on weekends, and no caffeine after noon. Idid make a dish last night and was a bit heavy handed with the red pepper flakes and it had a bit of a kick. I'm guessing that's what triggered it. I had an upper about 8 years ago and didn't have Barret's at the time. I did have an ulcer. Gonna talk to my doc about a full gastric workup. 

• Like 1

My right neck and shoulder has been hurting for the past 3-6 months. I'm attributing it to me sleeping on my right shoulder.

I had my chrio and masseuse work on those muscles, and the pain got worse. I did a lot of stretching on Monday, and it got better, but the muscles on the right side of my neck are still painful.

And another mystery pain was on Monday, the outboard ankle bone started hurting. I hobbled around the house in the evening and morning. I was thinking of working from home, but didn't want to be a big wuss. The pain went away by 10AM. No idea what caused it, or what I did to make it go away. 

• Rage+1 1

Dad had Barrett’s and died from esophageal surgery complications (unrelated to the esophagus issue).

Do not fuck around with your upper gi issues.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Dad had Barrett’s and died from esophageal surgery complications (unrelated to the esophagus issue).

Do not fuck around with your upper gi issues.

My wife had the LINX Procedure done for her Barrett’s esophagus about 5-6 years ago. It has mostly resolved her condition, and having to slow down her eating and take smaller bites helped her lose weight. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife had the LINX Procedure done for her Barrett’s esophagus about 5-6 years ago. It has mostly resolved her condition, and having to slow down her eating and take smaller bites helped her lose weight. 

That's good.  I had a different surgery back in 2001 that had the same effect.  Still get an EGD every three years and Barrett's hasn't progressed in the last 23 years.

• Hook 'Em 1