Getting old sucks

Hate

My lower back is the worst. Freezes up every 1-3 months, and takes a week or two to calm down. Nothing in particular causes it to freeze up, just sitting/standing/bending over, etc.  The muscles just freeze up and hurt like hell, then twinge every time I sit or stand or roll over in bed for a week. 

I’ve been doing various stretches/pilates/core strengthening for over a year, religiously, and go to the chiropractor every time it freezes up. I still have this damn issue. And it sucks. I can’t do any regular work around or outside the house. 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, nnm said:

My lower back is the worst. Freezes up every 1-3 months, and takes a week or two to calm down. Nothing in particular causes it to freeze up, just sitting/standing/bending over, etc.  The muscles just freeze up and hurt like hell, then twinge every time I sit or stand or roll over in bed for a week. 

I’ve been doing various stretches/pilates/core strengthening for over a year, religiously, and go to the chiropractor every time it freezes up. I still have this damn issue. And it sucks. I can’t do any regular work around or outside the house. 

I used to have this happen on the regular....now I keep a bottle of muscle relaxers for this problem.    May want to give them a try.

Pop wasn't that far off.  Chiros have their place, but their place is limited.  However, immediately after your back 'goes out' is one of those places.  On the other hand, as a regular maintenance for control of pretty much anything is not, but way too many of them will tell you that can help with cancer, autism, you name it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Pop wasn't that far off.  Chiros have their place, but their place is limited.  However, immediately after your back 'goes out' is one of those places.  On the other hand, as a regular maintenance for control of pretty much anything is not, but way too many of them will tell you that can help with cancer, autism, you name it.

Agreed.

On 9/24/2024 at 10:27 PM, MissingInAction said:

Turned 50. I'm single without kids. Suffering from severe sleep apnea so who knows how long I have. I've got a CPAP and undergoing therapy.

My dog may have 3 good years left.

I'm thinking about cashing out and hitting the road.

Sitting around feels like I'm already dead.

Take up yoga. I started when I was 41, and by my 50’s, I was an instructor and in the best shape since I was college.

Its the best exercise there is. Stress relief, physical symmetry, skeletal alignment, cardio (astanga yoga).

My yoga friends are my best friends. Not even close.

Ptins, age 52. In the group photo, I’m the one w/ the ‘stache.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2d58e54e87804ea9105a6ea904f2d88.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ffe6271a6dc189fef2120a48eea0fddb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae4bf19182a482e608dfea161986f44b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6fd867de09a6e64d512e861f23ba6323.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 9/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, MissingInAction said:

Great advice.

I think it's the being alone part that's starting to get to me. 

I am VERY careful getting out of the shower because I know if I fall I'm fucked. I put my phone on the floor just in case.

Buy a couple of the 20 dollar alexa devices and set them up around your house.  If something bad happens, you can yell "Hey alexa, call 911" or whatever.  I did this for my MIL.  

As to the alone part, plenty of nice women are in the same boat.  Join some groups, take some classes, volunteer, whatever.  Meet people in your age range.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Buy a couple of the 20 dollar alexa devices and set them up around your house.  If something bad happens, you can yell "Hey alexa, call 911" or whatever.  I did this for my MIL.  

As to the alone part, plenty of nice women are in the same boat.  Join some groups, take some classes, volunteer, whatever.  Meet people in your age range.  

Hey Alexa, Meow like a cat

Hey Alexa, I think I have Dogjaw, do you hear it?

Hey Alexa, have you seen bofa?

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2024 at 10:27 PM, MissingInAction said:

Turned 50. I'm single without kids. Suffering from severe sleep apnea so who knows how long I have. I've got a CPAP and undergoing therapy.

My dog may have 3 good years left.

I'm thinking about cashing out and hitting the road.

Sitting around feels like I'm already dead.

You’re not alone in the broader sense. Older men have a greater sense of isolation. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/09/28/men-loneliness-friendship-depression/

Some decent suggestions in that article. Explore your faith—a significant community can be found at church if you’re the church-going type or consider it. If not, volunteer somewhere that you will go regularly, and see the same people every time. Look for an affinity organization—hobby-based, activity-based, etc. The key is to regularly see the same people, to develop a sense of connectedness and community. 

• Hook 'Em 4

You’re not alone in the broader sense. Older men have a greater sense of isolation. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/09/28/men-loneliness-friendship-depression/
Some decent suggestions in that article. Explore your faith—a significant community can be found at church if you’re the church-going type or consider it. If not, volunteer somewhere that you will go regularly, and see the same people every time. Look for an affinity organization—hobby-based, activity-based, etc. The key is to regularly see the same people, to develop a sense of connectedness and community. 

You failed to consider the MIA is a socially awkward misanthropic atheist asshole. And that’s on his GOOD days.
He’d be better off just ordering a mail-order Filipino bride or some such.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You failed to consider the MIA is a socially awkward misanthropic atheist asshole. And that’s on his GOOD days.

You can do that? 

12 hours ago, PTINS said:

Take up yoga. I started when I was 41, and by my 50’s, I was an instructor and in the best shape since I was college.

Its the best exercise there is. Stress relief, physical symmetry, skeletal alignment, cardio (astanga yoga).

white-women.gif.86d47a2aee73e2bb88075e2cb4e225d4.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Become a yoga instructor.  (See photo above.)

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Buddy of mine was at his family lake house in upstate New York where he grew up. He was swimming around the lake and stopped by the dock a few doors down where several late teenage girls were sunbathing.  He asked which one was a “Smith” and one raised her hand.  He said “hey, I grew up with your mother Pat”.  To which she replied “Pat is my grandmother.” /csb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Buddy of mine was at his family lake house in upstate New York where he grew up. He was swimming around the lake and stopped by the dock a few doors down where several late teenage girls were sunbathing.  He asked which one was a “Smith” and one raised her hand.  He said “hey, I grew up with your mother Pat”.  To which she replied “Pat is my grandmother.” /csb. 

"Well I might be your grandfather."

/ActualCSB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Or he could just bang a bunch of hos
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/27/2024 at 9:39 PM, Gil Bang said:

yeah but alexa listens and it's 5G so unless you have a 5G protective necklace you're screwed either way.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

Whenever I put on the headphones, I hear the crazy tinnitus I have. My fault for being an idiot standing next to the punk / metal speakers when I was younger because I thought I was cool. I got ass, but at what cost?!

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Doesn’t matter the cost. You were going to something going wrong at this point no matter what. Might as well have gotten some ass.

Yep.  Those memories are priceless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2024 at 9:38 PM, PTINS said:

Is that your harem? Are you building a compound somewhere?? It's like if Hef had girlfriends his own age. 

Well done!

• Haha 1

When you're old and forget so ypu climb a ladder with a rigged up chain saw , thinking it's a good idea, when the tree branch falls knocks the ladder out from under you and you're not as young as you used to be this shit happens. If anyone else follows me on Facebook you know the incident from about 6 weeks ago with the hubby , aka big man child.  This is his left shoulder.  

image000000(2).jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2