Getting old sucks

Hate

Anyone have experience with Rogaine?  I'm 39 and had a completely full head of hair until maybe a month or two ago.  At my last haircut (early September) my barber confirmed it was starting to thin on top.  I still appear to have a full head, and want to keep it that way if possible.  Just ordered a shot of Rogaine and curious if I completely wasted $ or not.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Anyone have experience with Rogaine?  I'm 39 and had a completely full head of hair until maybe a month or two ago.  At my last haircut (early September) my barber confirmed it was starting to thin on top.  I still appear to have a full head, and want to keep it that way if possible.  Just ordered a shot of Rogaine and curious if I completely wasted $ or not.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9521vjl1c45ez1o6r0jvq

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ah yes. My "oh my god" moment.  I was waiting in line in a fast food restaurant and there was monitor near the ceiling cycling through the various security cameras. When it flipped to the camera pointing at the people waiting to order, I thought "Ha, look at the bald spot on the top of that one guy's head."  30 seconds later when it flipped to it again I realized it was me. 

Started Rogaine days later.  It never grew hair back, but it stopped the hair-loss. 10 out of 10; would recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Ah yes. My "oh my god" moment.  I was waiting in line in a fast food restaurant and there was monitor near the ceiling cycling through the various security cameras. When it flipped to the camera pointing at the people waiting to order, I thought "Ha, look at the bald spot on the top of that one guy's head."  30 seconds later when it flipped to it again I realized it was me. 

Started Rogaine days later.  It never grew hair back, but it stopped the hair-loss. 10 out of 10; would recommend. 

Yeah, I don’t have a visible bald spot yet, but I probably would by Xmas if I did nothing.   Just stopping loss is good enough 

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2 of my younger adult children got prescriptions for finasteride after noticing hair falling out when brushing etc.  Both feel it works well.  Quick, easy, cheap

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I began balding at 27 and tried it. Did it work? Yeah but you have to use it every day for the rest of your life. It's incredibly inconvenient. I'm imminently at the point of completely shaving my head. I made myself a promise that once my widows peak touched the bald spot it was game over.

On 10/13/2023 at 12:55 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not always, but if I don't watch the volume and switch things up the literal moment feel a tightness or impairment of any kind, it's a one way ticket on the pain train. 

I have resumed lifting after a long layoff by using kettlebells.   It feels like a cop out, but I constantly remind myself I am not 25 or 30 and to go easy.

I can feel the pump and know I am getting old-fart benefit, but I don't need to do 3 speedsets of everything to exhaustion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did an overnight trip to Taylor for Mrs. Brat’s high school reunion dinner get together (Class of 1963 - Fightin’ Taylor Ducks)
We almost had to skip it because I had another A-fib attack on the way to the restaurant. 
It continued for about a half hour after we got there, but it gradually slowed down so I felt ok, but tired,by the end.

Shitty night’s sleep at the hotel, but we arrived home ok a little while ago. 
Guess the Bluetooth in my pacemaker will let the bedside monitor know what happened when it does its nighttime snooping.

IMG_4229.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

My hairline looks like a horseshoe from behind. I’m in the fuck it camp. Just don’t go Boozer.

IMG_0233.jpeg

Just had to accept a promotion I didn't want because the person that would have taken it if I turned it down would be a fucking nightmare. More money, but more paperwork, footwork and headaches. This is why I can't have nice things.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2024 at 10:52 AM, Armybrat said:

Did an overnight trip to Taylor for Mrs. Brat’s high school reunion dinner get together (Class of 1963 - Fightin’ Taylor Ducks)
We almost had to skip it because I had another A-fib attack on the way to the restaurant. 
It continued for about a half hour after we got there, but it gradually slowed down so I felt ok, but tired,by the end.

Shitty night’s sleep at the hotel, but we arrived home ok a little while ago. 
Guess the Bluetooth in my pacemaker will let the bedside monitor know what happened when it does its nighttime snooping.

IMG_4229.jpeg

I've seen younger faces on cash

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

My BIL takes a pill with Rogaine/finasteride and something else and he actually regrew hair.  I had been on just finasteride for years but switched to his pill.  Recommend something like that.  One pill a day isnt bad.  Using the Rogaine drops on your scalp is a beating.

Finasteride stops/greatly slows the loss.  Definitely look into that at least.  It is also not expensive.  

On 10/1/2024 at 9:16 PM, jetsfan76 said:

Whenever I put on the headphones, I hear the crazy tinnitus I have. My fault for being an idiot standing next to the punk / metal speakers when I was younger because I thought I was cool. I got ass, but at what cost?!

Same here. Used to love standing in front of my Marshall's on stage, definitely got ragrets...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 10/4/2024 at 11:48 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I used it for a long time and had good success with it.  The earlier you start the better your odds. There is a product from "HIMS" that I used on the frontal part of my scalp as Rogaine doesn't work so good there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I used it for a long time and had good success with it.  The earlier you start the better your odds. There is a product from "HIMS" that I used on the frontal part of my scalp as Rogaine doesn't work so good there.

The stuff I used on the front was called,

Spectral DNC-N

Looked it up

My hair loss has been very subtle and hard for me to notice at the distance I look at myself in the mirror, but I definitely have some power alleys. I also part my hair more or less down my right one, which either totally or mostly covers up my left one. 

It's still thick enough that it just looks a bit thin up close, but from a distance, I register as a guy with a pretty definite bald streak. 

I think this is the optimal hairline for camouflage, confusion, subterfuge, and disguise-related purposes. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 10/4/2024 at 11:23 AM, Bevoette said:

When you're old and forget so ypu climb a ladder with a rigged up chain saw , thinking it's a good idea, when the tree branch falls knocks the ladder out from under you and you're not as young as you used to be this shit happens. If anyone else follows me on Facebook you know the incident from about 6 weeks ago with the hubby , aka big man child.  This is his left shoulder.  

image000000(2).jpg

Didn't catch this the first time.  a couple of those screws look like they could have gone all the way through the humerus.  If so, that could be most unpleasant.  How is hubby doing?

I went full on shaved bald some years ago and never looked back. Its glorious, liberating, and feels damn good. Once a week, clippers with no guard, quick and easy. When I'm retired and a full time man of leisure, I might get a weekly standing reservation at a barber and just have them shave it, just as an indulgence. 

Starting getting gall bladder pain a while back. Getting more and more frequent. Dr. Google tells me its gall stones passing. Not nearly as bad as kidney stones, but much more frequent. Feels like heartburn but in the wrong place. Not worth getting my gall bladder removed, but still sucks. I'm feeling this morning's breakfast tacos. 

Dr. Google also says gall stones can be reduced by cutting out saturated fats, eating lean meats, less dairy, more veggies, lose weight, exercise more, yadda yadda yadda, the same ol' shit.