Derpy soldier in Hawaii tries to merge with Pele.. comes close to succeeding

AUS-97HORN

active volcano, yada yada, walk to the edge, herpy derpy, fall in and come very, very close to being a sacrifice.

but he survived, so no Darwin award winner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/soldier-visiting-hawaii-national-park-falls-active-volcano-n1001516

A 32-year-old solider climbed over the permanent railing of an active volcano in Hawaii to get a closer look, fell in, and survived, authorities said.

The man, who is based on the Big Island at Pohakuloa Training Area, was visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Wednesday when he fell from a 300 foot cliff at Kilauea caldera's edge after losing his footing, the National Park Services said in a statement.

Luckily, about two and half hours after his fall, he was found on a narrow ledge about 70 feet down from the cliff’s edge. Responders were able to rescue the tourist through a “high angle extraction” using ropes. He survived, but authorities said he was seriously injured and airlifted to Hilo Medical Center.

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Rocko?

Yawn. You can't even afford to get remotely close to an active volcano. I drove there in my 10 year old Vette that I financed on an 84 month note at 18% interest while you struggle to get out of bed every morning and hate life in your cubicle. You wish you could afford life threatening burns like these.

I hiked many miles and climbed many hills in Pohakuloa Training Area.  This hits close to former home.  Even Hawaii has a few shitholes, this is one of them.  Don't miss that place or it's feral hogs or sleeping on that jagged lava rock one bit.  

Glad the guy didn't fondue himself.