New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the Ghost Tour, my friend owns LeLaurie Mansion, which is the climax of the tour at the end. I’ve spent a long weekend there. It’s badass inside but we didn’t see any ghosts. 

I went last summer with high expectations. I’d never go again. I think I reviewed it here, but the pomposity of the chef, the poor execution of a few dishes, and the ridiculous pricing all made it not worth it. I’ve eaten at fine French dining from Paris to Vegas and would rate it as the second weakest of the badass places we’ve eaten. Nothing could possibly be worse than Restaurant David Toutain in Paris, but Compere Lapin sits in second to last easily. 

15 minutes ago, Bearlyhangingon said:

A place that does not get much pub here, but is terrific is Gautreau's.  Mostly locals, I think.  

It’s an uptown institution and lots of chefs have made their names there, but imo it just hadn’t retained its relevance in recent years. Some customers bought it last fall so looking forward to seeing what they do. What does not get enough pub is Zasu, opened up in Mid-City a few years ago by one of Gautreau’s best chefs in recent memory, Sue Zemanick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:00 PM, closetojumping said:

Regarding the Ghost Tour, my friend owns LeLaurie Mansion, which is the climax of the tour at the end. I’ve spent a long weekend there. It’s badass inside but we didn’t see any ghosts. 

Can I announce that I am from the internet and receive privileges?  The LeLaurie Mansion is one of the niece's must-see attractions

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went a month or so back. We stayed a the Peter and Paul Hotel, which is funky and cool. It's slightly out of the way in the Marigny,  I only took a couple of food pics.

Speaking of muffalettas, though.... the one at Napoleon House is tremendous, as is their avocado stuffed shrimp remoulade. I wasn't particularly impressed with Pesche, but it was fine.

Port of Call is still incredible after all these years:

IMG_2035.thumb.jpg.20abdf5cbd2b838bacc28a463305f789.jpg

I still love Mandina's. Such a classic NOLA joint.

IMG_2016.thumb.jpg.65d03e8aeb04ba1bdf138846b56060df.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I went a month or so back. We stayed a the Peter and Paul Hotel, which is funky and cool. It's slightly out of the way in the Marigny,  I only took a couple of food pics.

Speaking of muffalettas, though.... the one at Napoleon House is tremendous, as is their avocado stuffed shrimp remoulade. I wasn't particularly impressed with Pesche, but it was fine.

Port of Call is still incredible after all these years:

IMG_2035.thumb.jpg.20abdf5cbd2b838bacc28a463305f789.jpg

I still love Mandina's. Such a classic NOLA joint.

IMG_2016.thumb.jpg.65d03e8aeb04ba1bdf138846b56060df.jpg

Napoleon House is a good lunch stop. You’re in the thick of things, great history, great people watching. Agreed on the muffuletta there. 

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

Are they are open for dinner too? I’ll have to try it next week. 

Not sure but probably. I wouldn't rate it as "dinner worthy" if you're only in town for a few days. It's a great stop for lunch or day drinking though. Of course, I'm a snob about dinner when traveling, but I feel like most of us on these kinds of threads are. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Going this weekend for a fantasy draft.  Going to Peche on Friday night.  Hoping for good things.

My past experiences at Peche have all been very good.  Get the whole fish.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Going this weekend for a fantasy draft.  Going to Peche on Friday night.  Hoping for good things.

Yep, solid meal every time I go. Was just there for work and hit up Cochon Butcher for lunch. So much goodness

My wife is dead set on a ghost tour this time.  I’m not a fan, but I know that acquiescing to this will lead to wild drunk kid-free hotel sex.
Whats the best one?

I haven’t been on one in years in NO but it was a lot of fun. We did one in the Quarter and one in the Garden District. They are basically tours of historical homes with a story, “Colonel Boudrou returned from the war to learn his wife had murdered their five children and poisoned herself right in this bathtub. And the Colenel is standing right now behind you next to the fireplace. The wife is standing in the tub!”

They now have them on Segway scooters and and all kinds.

We quit doing them when my wife learned on some TV ghost show that some ghost/demon attached itself to some poor dude on the Alcatraz tour and came into their house

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My wife is dead set on a ghost tour this time.  I’m not a fan, but I know that acquiescing to this will lead to wild drunk kid-free hotel sex.

Whats the best one?

not the one with the blue-haired pixie former crawfish festival queen with an aversion to brassieres.  She was a bit much

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Whats the best one?

Been several years since we did it, but Free Tours by Foot had a good one. Most of their story telling wasn't too hokey and they gave you a lot of good history about the city.

On 8/23/2024 at 4:44 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Been several years since we did it, but Free Tours by Foot had a good one. Most of their story telling wasn't too hokey and they gave you a lot of good history about the city.

We've done a couple of those tours - one in the Garden District and a Voodoo tour that started in Louis Armstrong Park.  Both were interesting and I would definitely do another one.    

Peche was good. Not great. There were 6 of us. But the thing that got me at the end was the server saying she couldn’t split the check 6 ways after she offered to split the checks. Said she could only do it four ways. 

Um, ok, then what the fuck are we doing here?  She was lying is what happened. That pisses me off.

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I get irrationally pissed off about credit card issues. Mainly because they are almost always due to human error, stupidity, or just plain laziness. 

I get rationally pissed off when I go to dinner with five other people and someone attempts to get the rest of us to split the check six ways. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Asking a server to split a check six ways is bad manners.  One person pays, everyone else Venmo’s.  Also, not a single one of you had a date?

This. People who want to split everything to the penny are annoying. In my group of close friends we usually just rotate who pays. One time you might get a cheap meal and one time you might get hosed on an expensive one, but over time it all evens out enough that none of us worry about it.

19 minutes ago, royiv said:

This. People who want to split everything to the penny are annoying. In my group of close friends we usually just rotate who pays. One time you might get a cheap meal and one time you might get hosed on an expensive one, but over time it all evens out enough that none of us worry about it.

We mostly do this when we go watch a game at a sports bar. 

If someone starts working a split check down to anything but an equal split, I'm never dining out with them ever again. When my wife sets up a double date with another couple and we've never gone out with them before, that's always a concern. Please don't let the other people be cheap. It's painful. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I get rationally pissed off when I go to dinner with five other people and someone attempts to get the rest of us to split the check six ways. 

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Asking a server to split a check six ways is bad manners.  One person pays, everyone else Venmo’s.  Also, not a single one of you had a date?

4 hours ago, royiv said:

I knew this would be the response.  

1.  We were absolutely going to just pay the combined check with one card, but as I said, SHE OFFERED TO SPLIT.  We did not ask to split.  She knew damn well there were 6 of us, as she had just served us for an hour.

2. No, we did not have dates, we were all there for a fantasy football draft.  One guy (married) actually did show up to the draft last year with a date, but that's a story for another thread, probably in IPIHB.

3. We all got out our cards and handed them to her.  She walks off to the machine and then comes back once it's clear she can't figure it out and says, "oh, I can actually only split it 4 ways".  She got caught in her own dumbassery and we ended up just venmo-ing anyway.

4.  Fuck you guys

• Haha 3

On 8/28/2024 at 8:07 AM, closetojumping said:

Me too, last year when we went to Greece my wife's friend and her husband insisted on splitting all the checks down to the penny.  It was real fun when the receipt was in Greek.

And I also think Pesche is just ok.  Lots better options in NOLA.  GW Fins is so much better.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

And I also think Pesche is just ok.  Lots better options in NOLA.  GW Fins is so much better.

This was my takeaway. The original plan was actually GW Fins, but they were closed for a couple of weeks for renovations. 

On 8/28/2024 at 10:09 AM, royiv said:

Have a brother-in-law that always wants to split, but based on who orders what as opposed to an even split.  Except he never accounts for tax and is cheap on tips - refuses more than 15%.  I cover so that the waiter doesn't get screwed over.  Fortunately, we only go to dinner with them maybe twice a year now.