2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

40 minutes ago, NowThis said:

last night was the defining moment in the 5 year GS dynasty.  Lose and people will say  they can't win it without the KD mercenary or they need Kyrie to be out (2015). Now they did it without KD and Klay for a big chuck of crunchtime, did it with Steph being average, did it with Cousins, Cook and Iggy hitting a key 3. A loss last night would have been much more important than people realize. 

I get what you’re saying, but a loss last night means Toronto protected home court. They had so many excuses last night, I think everyone in America would’ve understood that one. A lot of people would’ve said they’re in trouble, yada yada, but I feel like last night was a lot more about Toronto choking. 

Might not be the defining game in their dynasty and honestly not sure what that would be but if they win it all this year, that stretch from the end of the 2nd into the 3rd and then the end sequence will be the most important part of these playoffs for them given all the circumstances. They had no business being in that game with how they played and Toronto could not put them away.

15 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Color commentators were a beating this game. How in the hell was Van Gundy a head coach? 

Well, he immediately recognized the box-and-1 (no huge achievement, but work with me here) and suggested what Kerr ought to do to counter (use Steph as a screener: it never happened), while the other former hc in the booth talked about strempf and lempf and mixed in a few empty platitudes (and in all likelihood attributed the missed shots down the stretch to players being possessed by demons, though that's purely conjecture, admittedly)

Off the top of my head, very beginning of this vid is another instance where JVG recognizes what is happening and communicates it to the audience. Helps us appreciate what Dallas/Carlisle are dialing up in the moment. Bonus pts to JVG for the fact that Dallas runs the set in every non-transition- or run clock down iso possession the rest of the game and rides it to a W.

So give me JVG. He actually processes the game beyond what is happening with the player who has the ball in his hands. If we're just scratching our heads over former coaches, he's immeasurably superior to Hubie and Mark Jackson.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

uh, no, game 2 of the 2019 Finals was not the defining moment of the GS Warriors dynasty. 

Dude, quit playing. They've only won (stops to count on fingers) 15 other games in the Finals. 12 of which contributed to championships. 

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think JvG is one of the best color guys in the biz. He gets too worked up about officials and occasionally gets lost in conversation but generally his game analysis is spot on

I like him too.  One of my favorite JVG moments was years ago when he went on a rant about having to pay full price for a haircut. 

Both Van Gundy bros are good media personalities.  Stan is a regular guest host on the Lebatard show. He’s honest, self-deprecating, has a good sense of humor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Might not be the defining game in their dynasty and honestly not sure what that would be but if they win it all this year, that stretch from the end of the 2nd into the 3rd and then the end sequence will be the most important part of these playoffs for them given all the circumstances. They had no business being in that game with how they played and Toronto could not put them away.

Funny thing is, they don’t really have a “defining moment” since KD got there. There was nothing to define. There was no real adversity. It was always really easy for them. My only guess would be their defining moment was the tickets not having CP3 and going 0-20 or whatever to start the game from 3 last year. Other than that, what was there to define? 

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Funny thing is, they don’t really have a “defining moment” since KD got there. There was nothing to define. There was no real adversity. It was always really easy for them. My only guess would be their defining moment was the tickets not having CP3 and going 0-20 or whatever to start the game from 3 last year. Other than that, what was there to define? 

KD's 3 in game 3 2017  or JR Smith (not that the 2018 series wasn't going to end 4-1) or Zaza.

But it's the KD 3.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I bet every player who has been working their asses off over the past 3 years would disagree with you.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I bet every player who has been working their asses off over the past 3 years would disagree with you.

Oh I don’t doubt that they’ve worked really hard. That’s why they are where they are. But who besides the rockets last year has given them any real resistance since KD has been there? What we’re seeing this year with KD being out is kind of proving my point. No team in the history of the league could lose a player the caliber of a KD and still be, if nothing else, a top end contender. It’s never happened and it probably won’t ever happen again. Having KD makes it to where nothing else really matters. Maybe “easy” was the wrong way to word it. It just makes it borderline impossible for any team to beat this team in a 7 game series. Their defining moments are things that other teams have done (ie Houston going toe to toe, JR smith having a brain fart, etc)

3 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Well, he immediately recognized the box-and-1 (no huge achievement, but work with me here) and suggested what Kerr ought to do to counter (use Steph as a screener: it never happened), while the other former hc in the booth talked about strempf and lempf and mixed in a few empty platitudes (and in all likelihood attributed the missed shots down the stretch to players being possessed by demons, though that's purely conjecture, admittedly)

Off the top of my head, very beginning of this vid is another instance where JVG recognizes what is happening and communicates it to the audience. Helps us appreciate what Dallas/Carlisle are dialing up in the moment. Bonus pts to JVG for the fact that Dallas runs the set in every non-transition- or run clock down iso possession the rest of the game and rides it to a W.

So give me JVG. He actually processes the game beyond what is happening with the player who has the ball in his hands. If we're just scratching our heads over former coaches, he's immeasurably superior to Hubie and Mark Jackson.

I’ll give you that but some observation points off the cuff are head scratchers. Especially when it comes to personnel on the court. Plus he sticks with an opinion when replay shows it completely different just to save face. Maybe it’s the Yin yang schtick everyone does these days.

And the hits keep coming. Fuck, man. Sucks for him, and for the warriors. Is this really how they’re going to go out? With the entire team on a stretcher? 

As for Klay, MRI tonight. The series hinges on that fucking MRI. Unless KD actually comes back at 80% or better. The “this team desperately needs KD” camp is about to get their wish. They desperately need him if Klay isn’t right. 

5 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

KD's 3 in game 3 2017  or JR Smith (not that the 2018 series wasn't going to end 4-1) or Zaza.

But it's the KD 3.

GS wasn't going to lose that series.  Last night's game was a do or die for GS, down 2-0 jacks up TOR's confidence where they could easily take it. 

You see, history will look at a 4-1 GS much better than a 3-2 with the 3 wins as a * (Kyries out *; KD the hired gun **).

** KD not really part of the 'core', just a ringer you bring in to make your YMCA team the champ. 

Now when/if GS wins this, history will smile on the 4-1, mostly because the 5th one had the most adversity. 

27 minutes ago, NowThis said:

GS wasn't going to lose that series.  Last night's game was a do or die for GS, down 2-0 jacks up TOR's confidence where they could easily take it. 

You see, history will look at a 4-1 GS much better than a 3-2 with the 3 wins as a * (Kyries out *; KD the hired gun **).

** KD not really part of the 'core', just a ringer you bring in to make your YMCA team the champ. 

Now when/if GS wins this, history will smile on the 4-1, mostly because the 5th one had the most adversity. 

That’s why that one was tough for me. There was never a doubt in anyone’s mind the warriors were going to win that series. In fact, I wonder what kind of odds you would’ve gotten if you bet on the warriors to win the next 3 championships from the moment KD signed. Cause I feel like the payout wouldn’t be that good for something that should be considered a long shot. 

Golden State's 7 best players:

KD - out for the past month

Steph - minor shit, to be expected for June basketball

Green - healthy

Klay - pulled hammy

Iggy - old as balls, just squeezing in a little basketball between trips to the MRI

Boogie - working himself back into shape after his 2nd major injury on the same leg

Looney - out

And they're still probably going to win (with as assist from Kawhi's bum leg and Anunoby's absence).

But maybe it's time that Silver reconsidered the arbitrary 82 game schedule and Best-of-7 first round.

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

which coach that he got fired went on to coach a championship caliber team? which coach that he got fired ever got another legit chance at winning? how does your question absolve LeBron of (poorly) trying to play GM everywhere he goes? 

Hmm...let's see. Lebron went to 8 straight finals and won 3 of them. How did those franchises do outside of that? How did those coaches do outside of that? Maybe his pushing for better coaching is warranted. It would be different if he went to SA and pushed for a new coach. He has largely had hot garbage his whole career.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:31 PM, TommyGufano said:

But it's the KD 3.

The KD 3 was definitely the "nope, no one is going to beat this team" moment.

22 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Hmm...let's see. Lebron went to 8 straight finals and won 3 of them. How did those franchises do outside of that? How did those coaches do outside of that? Maybe his pushing for better coaching is warranted. It would be different if he went to SA and pushed for a new coach. He has largely had hot garbage his whole career.

Partially arguable, but I doubt most would disagree that LeBron's passive aggressive nature at times has not been the right way to approach things.  LeBron maybe more than any other true great player (Top 20 types all time) I believe really missed out having a truly strong coach that could have served as a great mentor/even father figure when he was early in his career. His career has still been great and he's easily a Top 5 player all-time (most intelligent analysts probably have him Top 3 worst and I agree with this 100%) but I still think he missed out badly on that kind of coach and how it could have helped him avoid say the 2011 problems he had in the Finals and some of the subtle antics he has employed even later in his career. 

• Like 1

If he has to sit or comes out and tries it out and can't move the way you want him to, I probably lift him and Iggy tonight and see if you can get back to full power in game 4 with KD, Klay and Iggy on Friday.  Maybe Steph could go crazy nuts and will them to victory.  If he could, then it would be a signature moment he's been searching for in the Finals.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Is there a reason to watch tonight lol? Seriously. According to Ethan Strauss, who has always been really connected with the warriors, Klay was in more pain than he’s ever seen anyone on this team have since he’s been there after last game. 

KD still not practicing.

This is it. It has to be it. They aren’t coming back from this. A lot of my posts in this thread aren’t going to age well based on these injuries haha 

Feels like the kind of game that you take a stab at early, see if anybody is red hot, and play fast and loose with nothing to lose; but, the second it gets away from you (and it almost certainly will), everyone goes to the bench, and you don't waste any effort trying to mount a comeback.

Still, the idea of essentially punting an NBA Finals game at home is crazy to me.

If Klay can't go, then GSW still have Steph and Draymond along with Iggy, so they'd still have a chance, they'd just need some major bench contributions.  This is Toronto, it's not like it's Cleveland with Lebron, Kyrie, and Love.  Toronto has a long track record of coming up short in the biggest of moments and although Kawhi will probably play reasonably well, you never know what you may get with guys like Lowry (an epic underachiever in the playoffs), Gasol, Ibaka, and Siakam.  They may play great, they may all stink.  If they can get two other guys to score, then they should take this but the Warriors will still have a decent opportunity to steal one if a guy like Cook or McKinnie can play over their heads and Bogut turns back the clock offensively.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If Klay can't go, then GSW still have Steph and Draymond along with Iggy, so they'd still have a chance, they'd just need some major bench contributions.  This is Toronto, it's not like it's Cleveland with Lebron, Kyrie, and Love.  Toronto has a long track record of coming up short in the biggest of moments and although Kawhi will probably play reasonably well, you never know what you may get with guys like Lowry (an epic underachiever in the playoffs), Gasol, Ibaka, and Siakam.  They may play great, they may all stink.  If they can get two other guys to score, then they should take this but the Warriors will still have a decent opportunity to steal one if a guy like Cook or McKinnie can play over their heads and Bogut turns back the clock offensively.

You forgot Boogie..... 

Yeah this whole thing about the Warriors mailing in the game is crazy talk. There's no way. They still have the best weapon in the league and two other all stars. Cousins flashed last game and seems like he might be able to contribute some. They have some decent bench players, are well coached, and are at home and it's going to be crazy in that arena tonight.

The Warriors are 5 point favorites ffs. They are probably going to win.

Edited by BradInATX

Feels like the kind of game that you take a stab at early, see if anybody is red hot, and play fast and loose with nothing to lose; but, the second it gets away from you (and it almost certainly will), everyone goes to the bench, and you don't waste any effort trying to mount a comeback.
Still, the idea of essentially punting an NBA Finals game at home is crazy to me.
It's crazy because it isn't going to happen. GSW is at home. They aren't mailing anything in at all.

3 minutes ago, housious said:

So Steph is going for 50 tonight, right?

Steph doesn't have KD's luxury of just being able to shoot over any defense. There's really nothing he can do if he's bracketed by two or three guys all game. Someone else is going to have to step up offensively pretty much from the jump to potentially get Steph loose. Otherwise, Toronto can just sell out on him like they did at the end of Game 2, knowing no one else can really hurt them.