D-Day - 75th Anniversary

tx 3 putt

21 minutes ago, PTINS said:

...I'd, uh , like to get a few pictures ... 

image.png.8eae8ca98c45d808699ff67f3c91b4e4.png

Yeah, can't share.  But...for dead real, she looks a whole lot like this AI generated image:

68f8efee2d42466a9fda12d714283e61.jpeg

And I just realized this morning that she's actually part of the naval crew on the royal yacht, by which the Norwegian Crown Prince traveled to the events.  So, the above, but in a navy uniform on the royal yacht.  Life sucks when you're Norwegian.

Also, turns out that Norway participated in D-Day via naval support with 11 ships; one of their destroyers was torpedoed at dawn and was the first allied ship sunk on D-Day.

• Hook 'Em 2

Most of the pathfinders have landed, along with several glider groups. 

In a few moments, Kriegsmarine will begin radar detection of multiple surface warfare ships and transports well off the coast of Pas-de-Calais down to Cherbourg.  Though passed on to higher command, it is initially thought to be equipment malfunction.  "There cannot possibly this many Allied ships crossing the channel, they don't even have that many."  

Also, at this very minute, the 1-hour pre-flight final check begins for the crew and armament personnel of 1,200 bombers of the U.S. 8th Air Force.  Though they know a number of their sorties will be shot down by fighter intercept or ground artillery, they maintain routine.  And they do exceedingly well in a few hours.   

The Day has Begun.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Found out yesterday that a friend in the CAF will be a part of the flyby.  He said it’s going to be amazing.  I didn’t realize they flew a bunch of aircraft over.

What does he fly? Last year the C-47 that operates out of San Marcos participated.

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seems like we should have a new thread for 80 years. 

too late, the invasion has already begun. 

There absolutely should be a new thread for 85, all around the world.  Because there'll be so few left.  

At this very moment, sailors order up naval artillery to fire upon German positions on Gold Beach.  It is being loaded, the rounds will be away, and hit their targets in the next few minutes.  The pathfinders, minesweepers, and airborne have accomplished much.  These shells will hit by the time you all read this post, and the first mass landings will ensue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Found out yesterday that a friend in the CAF will be a part of the flyby.  He said it’s going to be amazing.  I didn’t realize they flew a bunch of aircraft over.

The WWIIDT fly their own or use others over there in Europe for the jumps they do for the bigger years....40,50th, 75th, 80th etc...

https://wwiiadt.org/

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hornstrader said:

What would everybody say is the best Operation Overlord book?

I really liked Stephen Ambrose' D-Day  

Of course Cornelius Ryan The Longest Day, also...

Every Man a Hero by Ray Lambert ( he and his brother both wounded that morning in the first waves)

Alex Kershaw's ... The First Wave

Can't go wrong with any of these IMO.

shoot! forgot the one posted above 👆The Bedford Boys also by Kershaw.... very sobering.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had gotten out of the service, but these were friends and teammates I served with. They were stationed at Rhein Main in the early 90’s and got to be part of the American service members that participated in one of the reenactment jumps at the Normandy drop zones in 1994. (one of them reposted this pic of them on his FB page 20 years later in 2014)
Taken from the DZ after landing.

2df04f758a5ab40aab27e14b36afc59b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I had gotten out of the service, but these were friends and teammates I served with. They were stationed at Rhein Main in the early 90’s and got to be part of the American service members that participated in one of the reenactment jumps at the Normandy drop zones in 1994. (one of them reposted this pic of them on his FB page 20 years later in 2014)
Taken from the DZ after landing.
emoji631.pngemoji2527.pngemoji632.pngemoji1063.png

2df04f758a5ab40aab27e14b36afc59b.jpg

That is a bad ass assignment. The former CoS at JFK school  jumped last year. Don't know if he is doing that this year.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is a bad ass assignment. The former CoS at JFK school  jumped last year. Don't know if he is doing that this year.

Very cool...

Not to derail the thread, but I was in Germany in the spring of '84 for a few weeks and got to fly into Tempelhof in Berlin to do a DZ survey for the airshow jump that was to be done there in West Berlin the following first week of May. It was to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the end of the war. 

I  was replaced in Germany a few days before the airshow,  so I didn't get to jump in, but just getting to fly into Tempelhof (and flying over the wall) was a pretty big deal to a WWII history buff like myself. 

Hats off to ALL of the Greatest Generation. They truly saved the world. 

France Dday Launch GIF by US National Archives

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1400hrs-Normandy.  The Germans begin their complete retreat from Omaha.  The bridgehead establishment will begin in earnest in mere minutes.  This is it, this is how it really begins.  

I put out our flag this morning.  My two girls asked me why I was putting it out because I try to explain why most time (Memorial Day, Pearl Harbor, Independence Day, etc.).  So I said "80th Anniversary of Operation Overlord, or D-Day."  And they asked me what that meant, as much as I know about it.  But I gotta get them to Vacation Bible School in a few minutes, so no time for long lobo lectures.  So I simply said, "It's the reason we're here and free."  God Bless all of those folks who died on those beaches, and Godspeed to those pressing forward at this exact moment as the Germans pull back, and make ready for the armor so the Allies can really rock 'n roll.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I saw the Night of Nights speech but not Ike’s address.  I may have missed it but here it is.

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking

Goddammit.  Just pulled up the ceremony, listening to the pipes.  Young men and women.  The backdrop of a blue sky.  Choking me up.

And we can look just 1500 miles east, and realize that as humans, we learn very little.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

17:25 on the local broadcast I posted if you want to watch it.  Fuck me.  

Yeah, that was freaking amazing.  Child to start it out, men to finish it.  The music has actually been incredible.

• Like 1

As much as the French dislike Texans and as much as we dislike the French, they really do a beautiful job each year commemorating the start of the liberation.  

And I remember and note each year how many lasting survivors of our Allied Expeditionary Force still remain.  But I forget that the French and other Northern European nations lose many elders as well.  The people that tell their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren about this Day of Days.  The French, and many other countries, still make it a point to teach it in their schools so the students can appreciate how close they were to living under a multi-century fascist Reich.  

As noted above, a German PM will typically attend but 'hang back' out of respect.  But in April or May of next year, they make it a point to teach their students about the 80th anniversary of their surrender.  About the book burning, the holocaust, the occupations.  And nary a single parent will bitch about "Well, it might make young Helmut feel slightly bad about himself because of our history."  They own it, they teach it, they condemn it.  We could learn something from that. 

There are no statues today being honored by Germans at Normandy as "Leaders against the War of Allied Aggression."  Merely a small entourage, helping to somberly mark the occasion and offer support.  There are many lessons to be learned from Operation Overlord besides just bravery and victory.  

It is 1740hrs in Normandy.  At Juno Beach (the Canadian sector), the Germans begin their full retreat.  Another sector will be taken and the armor will start rolling in 20 minutes.  

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

As much as the French dislike Texans and as much as we dislike the French, they really do a beautiful job each year commemorating the start of the liberation.  

And I remember and note each year how many lasting survivors of our Allied Expeditionary Force still remain.  But I forget that the French and other Northern European nations lose many elders as well.  The people that tell their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren about this Day of Days.  The French, and many other countries, still make it a point to teach it in their schools so the students can appreciate how close they were to living under a multi-century fascist Reich.  

As noted above, a German PM will typically attend but 'hang back' out of respect.  But in April or May of next year, they make it a point to teach their students about the 80th anniversary of their surrender.  About the book burning, the holocaust, the occupations.  And nary a single parent will bitch about "Well, it might make young Helmut feel slightly bad about himself because of our history."  They own it, they teach it, they condemn it.  We could learn something from that. 

There are no statues today being honored by Germans at Normandy as "Leaders against the War of Allied Aggression."  Merely a small entourage, helping to somberly mark the occasion and offer support.  There are many lessons to be learned from Operation Overlord besides just bravery and victory.  

It is 1740hrs in Normandy.  At Juno Beach (the Canadian sector), the Germans begin their full retreat.  Another sector will be taken and the armor will start rolling in 20 minutes.  

I never undsertood the animosity towards the French. I have worked with them in a few places and never had an issue. Nor them with me as a Texan. They stand with us everywhere. Sure, there are things to make fun of, but they are very good allies to the US and we are to them when it really matters.

YGIF, I love the postings on this. Shit, lets pick a unit and follow them to May of 1945.

And yep, sitting with my assistant today. Two college degrees and knows fuck all about WW2. Have him watching the D-Day clips being posted.

again, merci. appreciate the information.

• Hook 'Em 7

I mostly just get sad when I think about today or past wars in general. Such a massive loss of life. A lot of futures never lived out because of power-crazed fucktards running countries, or wanting to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I mostly just get sad when I think about today or past wars in general. Such a massive loss of life. A lot of futures never lived out because of power-crazed fucktards running countries, or wanting to. 

Fuck your feelings, snowflake! ;) 

It was another thread, and I can't remember the name of the book.  But it made this very compelling, scientifically sound argument that we lived relatively peacefully for tens of thousands of years in small bands and tribes.  Obviously if some marauders came along and stole your food or women, you fought back.  But, per capita, there wasn't much pillaging or invasion.  But then we learned to travel and communicate across large swatches of land and sea.  With that came organized religion, trade, economic doctrines, and political strife.  And the technology for all of the above.  And that's when the shit-show started.  We found out about not just the next tribe over the valley, but different Gods, different philosophies, different theocratic and monarchical approaches to ruling, and the idea to consolidate power into the few rather than the many.  It's only about 5% of our history has done it this way and we have been fucked ever since.  Once we could see there were people that looked and spoke and worshipped differently, we've been on a conquest bender ever since.  

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

we've been on a conquest bender ever since.  

together we...
burned the village
Burned the Village!!!...and
raped the horses
Raped the horses!!!...and
we rode off on the women
We rode off on the women!!!...and
we pruned...
Pruned.....
the hedges....
Hedges...
of many small villages

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:
  • They had our backs in the Revolutionary war via two big boom-boom sticks on wheels and naval support
  • Napoleon was a G
  • They suffered tremendously in the Big War
  • The Maginot & Siegfried lines were static defenses adopted to stop WWI-style advances.  Germany was just smarter via their adoption of mechanized units and the Ardennes were not as impenetrable as believed.  
  • During occupation they provided invaluable intel at great peril and loss if life to those involved.  They also saved countless downed airmen.
  • They honor today like no other country Allied support for the liberation of France.
  • Their food is the tits...

The evening before DDay - French resistance took out over 1000 targets after receiving the proper coded mesages. Huge part of delaying the German response 

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

McNiece was one of my very close friend's great uncle (his grandmother was one of McNiece's ten siblings).  Dude was a badass.  Made 4 combat jumps per my buddy.

One of the Surly screenwriter types need to get this over to Apple. I'd love to see an American take on Rogue Heroes.