Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Bought some of those thin sliced ribeyes at H‑E‑B.   Cut them up into thin strips, a little olive oil and butter, onions and red/green bell peppers and made some homemade Philly steak sammiches.   Turned out delicious.   

cooked them in my cast iron on the charcoal grill so they had a little Smokey flavor as well.   

paired with H‑E‑B seasoned fries in the air fryer.   Good quick meal 

IMG_7527.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Bought some of those thin sliced ribeyes at H‑E‑B.  

???  Which store?  I love philly cheesesteaks but I haven't found decent thin-sliced beef, so I end up rolling my own, which is always a little too thick on the slice (by hand).

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

???  Which store?  I love philly cheesesteaks but I haven't found decent thin-sliced beef, so I end up rolling my own, which is always a little too thick on the slice (by hand).

Woodway.  They always have 4 packs of ribeyes that are cut to about 1/4 inch thick.  I take them and cut them into small strips about pencil thin or a little thinner depending on how well the meat will hold the cut.  They work perfectly for this, or for a quick steak and eggs breakfast done in the cast iron.  

Have you ever tried freezing a ribeye and then using a good knife to slice it thin?

Works for me.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, tigol said:

Have you ever tried freezing a ribeye and then using a good knife to slice it thin?

Works for me.

About 75% frozen is the sweet spot where it's easy to cut but doesn't shred to shit.  I just did these fresh.  Normally I'd buy them at lunch and stick them in the freezer, then have the wife pull them from the freezer about 4:00 or so.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Woodway.  They always have 4 packs of ribeyes that are cut to about 1/4 inch thick.  I take them and cut them into small strips about pencil thin or a little thinner depending on how well the meat will hold the cut.  They work perfectly for this, or for a quick steak and eggs breakfast done in the cast iron.  

Ah, I thought you were referring to something already philly-thick (say 0.1" or so).  Yes, I often hand-cut to 1/4" or so and call it good enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoachTex said:

20240616_153928.thumb.jpg.a15061bdd20cbfb0b850635d6de7c1f0.jpg

20240616_200210.thumb.jpg.a746b710a297c5ef11e6c75d94a934ca.jpg

20240616_200214.thumb.jpg.826be973f5d059bb705fea7c887ae045.jpg

20240616_201057.thumb.jpg.3b9137efaa2de3e9c200f0b45709dbb7.jpg

having smoked turkey in the freezer is always a good choice, and it's super easy now that HEB is consistently carrying (in my area) those big turkey breasts. looks like an awesome meal!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Who says green chile stew is just for cold weather? And who cares if we’re in a heat wave? I had a couple pounds of leftover pulled pork, smoked on the new WSM, and still had hatch chile peppers in the freezer. Let’s see how it works.
lt worked pretty well. I used a chipotle-habanero rub on the pork shoulder. I wasn’t sure how that would go with the hatch chiles but it goes just fine. It’s HOT! I liked how it affected the color, too. I altered the recipe a little bit. I used thyme and traditional oregano instead of Mexican. My plan was to add carrots but I wound up not having room in the pot. I really wasn’t thinking. The recipe calls for 2 lbs of pork and I didn’t stop to think that I didn’t need to use 2 lbs of cooked pork. I should’ve used 1/3-1/4 less then I would’ve had room for the carrots. I’m an idiot. The end result is that the stew is loaded with pork and that’s okay but it wasn’t what I was imagining. Oh well. It’s really good. Did I mention it’s super hot? It’s smokin’.
IMG_3164.thumb.jpeg.37f903433ad6e07dbec916591372df12.jpeg
IMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.f9a9132359cdc82112f5bfcc71697b33.jpeg

Awesome. I think it looks better without the carrots myself. The only thing missing are hot sopapillas but I’d just make a batch of biscuits.