Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Brown a pound (two if you like) of spicy breakfast sausage.

Sautee peppers and onions until they are cooked. I just used the frozen fajita mix from HEB.

Beat 8 eggs and then mix in two cups of milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, any seasoning you might like (I just eyeball all that), and two cups of shredded cheese (I use the Mexican blend from HEB.)

Take one bag (30 oz) of frozen tater tot crowns, put them in a big bowl. Pour the eggs mixture over them and stir until well mixed. 

Pour into a 13x9 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, put some more cheese over the top to your liking, and bake at 350 for about an hour until the eggs are set and you're happy with the color.

this would make a fine filling for a shitload of breakfast tacos. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Recipes please?
A good coctel de camaron, served on saltines (I am OLD school), is happiness.

Many saltines were eaten. It’s the way to do it, also aguachile is best with Chicharron. Will share recipe when not drunk 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:15 AM, Hornbeliever said:

10 lbs of Costco pork belly turned into vic Mackey approved cut bacon.  Thicc 

IMG_2463.jpeg

I'm always tempted to buy pork belly at the store, and then the same question pops in my head.  "WTF am I going to do with that amount of pork belly?"

Did you roast that or smoke it?  You've cut it into bacon strips, so are you now going to freeze a good portion of it, or are you planning to eat 10lbs of bacon before it goes bad?

The fat clearly isn't rendered, so do you cook it like regular bacon before you eat it?  Which then begs the question of why you cooked it the first time.

Maybe this belongs in the "cooking stuff you suck at" thread.  I suck at finding uses for anything more than about a pound of pork belly.

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I'm always tempted to buy pork belly at the store, and then the same question pops in my head.  "WTF am I going to do with that amount of pork belly?"

Did you roast that or smoke it?  You've cut it into bacon strips, so are you now going to freeze a good portion of it, or are you planning to eat 10lbs of bacon before it goes bad?

The fat clearly isn't rendered, so do you cook it like regular bacon before you eat it?  Which then begs the question of why you cooked it the first time.

Maybe this belongs in the "cooking stuff you suck at" thread.  I suck at finding uses for anything more than about a pound of pork belly.

cured it for seven days and then smoked it for a few hours to he to 152 degrees.  Then put it in fridge to firm it up so that you can cut it easier.

we vacuum seal in strips of 6-7 so that we only have to defrost a family serving at a time.   We also dice some up into cubes to put into meals like rice bowls.  Soooo good.  And yes, we defrost them and then cook em on cast iron or bake them.

as for why cook it the first time?  Because I watched it on YouTube and it looked delicious.  Don’t know the science.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

cured it for seven days and then smoked it for a few hours to he to 152 degrees.  Then put it in fridge to firm it up so that you can cut it easier.

we vacuum seal in strips of 6-7 so that we only have to defrost a family serving at a time.   We also dice some up into cubes to put into meals like rice bowls.  Soooo good.  And yes, we defrost them and then cook em on cast iron or bake them.

as for why cook it the first time?  Because I watched it on YouTube and it looked delicious.  Don’t know the science.

what kind of smoker did you use?

6 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I used a Treager at like 225 degrees so nothing special.  Doesn’t even need to be smoked and you can do this in oven but won’t get a that sweet sweet smoke element.

as for 6-7 slices for a family, it’s just me, a wife, and two girls so I’m the only one who eats what one would say is an American portion.  They eat like normal Europeans or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2024 at 9:53 AM, Incredulity said:

Jumping in....I have a customer that cold smokes at like 80 degrees in some piece of shit electric smoker and my fuck. Best bacon I've ever had and isn't close.  He does different recipes and did a habanero peach and I'm pretty sure that's what angel pussy would taste like. 

I've had fantastic bacon that was warm smoked at 225 or whatever. But that cold smoked shit is a different level. 

On 9/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, Wiler77 said:

Lots of tutorials on doing this on youtube if you want to give a shot. Cure it for 7 days in the fridge.  Then I will smoke mine around 225 with some hickory or mesquite chips.   I don't slice it all right away but I do portion it out and give it away to people so they can slice at home to whatever thickness they prefer.  I'll give it 15 minutes in the freezer before slicing to firm it up some for myself before finishing it in the skillet 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh yeah, peak white people breakfast. SA got black pudding right - it’s Brit morcilla.
The full English or Scottish breakfast is one of the things the UK actually nails, EXCEPT….that stupid canned beans on toast shit.
Had a great breakfast on a ferry in Scotland:
06a339e7774194013c855a74d64c2223.jpg

But sweet baby jebus, the three gals sitting behind us, all locals in their 20s…each had a big serving of Heinz baked beans on toast. It’s horrific.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh yeah, peak white people breakfast. SA got black pudding right - it’s Brit morcilla.
The full English or Scottish breakfast is one of the things the UK actually nails, EXCEPT….that stupid canned beans on toast shit.

But sweet baby jebus, the three gals sitting behind us, all locals in their 20s…each had a big serving of Heinz baked beans on toast. It’s horrific.

Centuries of inbreeding on that island led them to believe that’s an appetizing breakfast. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/28/2024 at 12:51 PM, Brisketexan said:

Not a GD thing wrong with baked beans and toast.