Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

20 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Salmon Wellington and wild rice. 

20240819_175355.thumb.jpg.d7a41918e53af89db3a3a5a898592ec7.jpg20240819_175738.thumb.jpg.807f352eaf804f49bb65daf748c39d26.jpg

I will subscribe to your newsletter.  Just wrap in puff pastry and bake? Did you sear the fish first?  What did you use in place of the duxelles?

40 minutes ago, pops said:

I will subscribe to your newsletter.  Just wrap in puff pastry and bake? Did you sear the fish first?  What did you use in place of the duxelles?

Spinach instead of duxelles. Here is the recipe I used. I actually messed up a bit and cut the puff pastry too deep after I wrapped it, so it split apart. It should have been fully enclosed. Still tasted great. 

https://www.wellplated.com/salmon-wellington/

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Very nice and a great idea.

I have had those buns before and they are delicious.

It works really well with kings Hawaiian rolls - if I use the martins ones again I’m going to toast them in the oven because the “sheet” was coming apart. But yeah I love that approach for sliders - squeeze the meat between two quarter sheets and cook it all together.

Stumbled across this recipe for German Pancakes earlier in the summer and have made them 2 or 3 times.  Every time I make them, I marvel at how damn easy this recipe is to prepare and cook.  Pancakey on sides and custard-like in bottom of the pan. 

IMG_5454.thumb.jpeg.d6fec4a31de324ba8a96367a61481f06.jpeg

Recipe I used:

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/german-pancakes-2/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Stumbled across this recipe for German Pancakes earlier in the summer and have made them 2 or 3 times.  Every time I make them, I marvel at how damn easy this recipe is to prepare and cook.  Pancakey on sides and custard-like in bottom of the pan. 

Recipe I used:

I've only had this in the "Dutch Baby" version:

Dutch Baby

It's really good and thin on the bottom.  Not too heavy, and served with powdered sugar, butter, and lemon.

I'm definitely going to try the recipe you posted.  That looks tremendous.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Said it for over a dozen years, this is one of the greatest threads on the internets.  Don't get to post much in the Jan-Jul because of track season but in the fall, I'm here for it.  @BigDHornfan those B&G fuck, hard.  And @sith_horn that smothered burrito is now on my craving list to make next Saturday when watching games.

Been making salsa lately.  Folks at school just drop off bags and bags of produce from their gardens (tomato, jalapenos, cilantro, etc).

I was also gifted half a cow for Father's Day this summer and holy shit not only is it so much more cheaper than buying beef at the store, it's so much better quality.  It was choice and not prime, but you could easily fool me.  We got all the steaks and roasts we could and then the rest was ground.  Came out to $3.25 per LB.   Never buying meat from the store again.  Especially with my two boys, HS and grade school, who have bottomless stomachs.  

Salsa recipe I currently and tinkering with:

-Two large tomatoes, 5 cherry tomatoes, half of an onion, 2 tomatillos, 2 japs, 1 serrano (add more peppers if you like more heat).
-A little oil, a little salt. Broil and turn until everything is browned and roasted
-Add in lime juice (couple tablespoons) and half bunch of cilantro.  Blend.
-Add in water, more lime juice, or liquid from the roasting pan to reach consistency you like. More salt as needed.

Just one more thing I haven't bought in years and will never buy from the store again - salsa.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

Recipe I used:

Oh shit. Doing that.

Serious Eats recipe for 🫘 tonight

IMG_9666.thumb.jpeg.1a0719794a6e03a2307664f32ea6a0f8.jpeg

IMG_9683.thumb.jpeg.a8ab40204afdaa5d4d9b10b056cd3d88.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Love a dutch baby - my recipe

3 eggs

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup milk

some honey, some salt, some nutmeg

Mix it all in the blender.

cut up 1/2 stick of butter in a 10" cast iron skillet, and put it in a cold oven, then preheat to 425

When the oven reaches 425, the butter should be melted and then some. Pour the batter in, return to the oven and bake for about 20-25 mins. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

I've only had this in the "Dutch Baby" version:
FF-Dutch-Baby-fcmj-square640.jpg

It's really good and thin on the bottom.  Not too heavy, and served with powdered sugar, butter, and lemon.
I'm definitely going to try the recipe you posted.  That looks tremendous.

That’s how I like them. Butter, a shitload of powdered sugar, lots of lemon. I’ve put lemon zest into the batter that makes it a bit more lemony. It all combines into a fantastic lemon syrup . And cast iron adds to the pancake.
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:25 PM, Underdog said:

Bolognese or regular meat sauce?  I could never give up pasta even with a gun to my head, I can eat spaghetti with just a can of Hunt's tomato sauce and be happy. 

Mom once whipped me up a batch of spaghetti with the sauce made from a can of tomato soup since there wasn't anything else on hand. She thickened it with corn starch. Damn it was good.

• Like 1