Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 9/22/2024 at 11:11 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just a little 'ol country breakfast... that will make ya' want to bust dirt in the back 40 or dig post holes.  OK, there isn't anything that makes you wanna dig post holes.

biscuits.jpg

protein.jpg

gravy.jpg

brkfast.jpg

Sponsorship provided by The American Cardiovascular Surgery Association...

And the only dirt I would be bustin' on the back 40 after eating that would be to dig a hole.... to poop in....

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/22/2024 at 11:11 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just a little 'ol country breakfast... that will make ya' want to bust dirt in the back 40 or dig post holes.  OK, there isn't anything that makes you wanna dig post holes.

biscuits.jpg

protein.jpg

gravy.jpg

brkfast.jpg

I love biscuits and gravy.  Generally I’ve not seen gravy that maintains peaks.  Did you run out of milk?  Or you used too much roux.

On 10/5/2024 at 7:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

White beans with smoked turkey and greens. Mirepoix, garlic, camelia white beans, two smoked turkey legs, bunch of collard greens. Thyme, some Cajun seasoning. Serve with crusty bread.

79c1b86301125d078f87c5697d747960.jpg

I'd pair that with something vinegary like Louisiana or Tabasco. Maybe Tabasco Chipotle.

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Almond crusted chicken parm

OK, I'm stealing that.  My wife can't eat carbs (no breadcrumbs) and I can't eat any nuts EXCEPT almonds, so that might be in our wheelhouse.  I kinda faked it once by just "breading" the chicken with parm, but it was a little out of balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Pork gyros with eggplant spread, salad, tzatziki, pickled onions. Still dialing the right heat level for the new rotisserie attachment, so some of the edges got a bit crispier but the internal was perfect and I just sliced the char off and returned to the fire. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2d11f723fbb14c91b7b6fbbfe71534.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f7de4462a831c6cff91726b5b1b7fdd8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3b664681117af449cb99543683a1bba8.jpeg

That looks good.

Also, a baby shit on the left side of your plate.  That seems rude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pork gyros with eggplant spread, salad, tzatziki, pickled onions. Still dialing the right heat level for the new rotisserie attachment, so some of the edges got a bit crispier but the internal was perfect and I just sliced the char off and returned to the fire. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2d11f723fbb14c91b7b6fbbfe71534.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f7de4462a831c6cff91726b5b1b7fdd8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3b664681117af449cb99543683a1bba8.jpeg

I’ve got an underused rotisserie but that might get me going… what cut of pork did you use?

In other news, stuffed chicken breasts with roasted honey carrots and olive cheese toast:

494903226b5d16844964c97e95a8a848.jpg
d0f55f127a742beb148533e624a2d4c1.jpg
2e0ef01980e6b11dde4bcb1e966dfec1.jpg
  • Drool 2

This is definitely NOT something I cooked lately.  Instead, it's something my wife cooked lately.
Her beloved, late mother made quite a few "white people" recipes.  For example, she made salmon croquettes with canned salmon and a cornflake crust (and god help me....I liked them.  A couple of those with ketchup, damn I liked em).  Another of her recipes, which my wife loved, is an enchilada recipe.
It uses flour tortillas instead of corn.  The filling is ground beef, chopped black olives, Monterrey jack cheese, a little salt and pepper, and a few tablespoons of gebhart enchilada sauce.  Then you roll them, and top with....hardly any enchilada sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese.  I have found that they are....fine....if I am allowed to spoon another half cup of enchilada sauce over my serving.
Here is the finished pan from last night.  She had actually prepped them, and left them for me to put in the oven when I got home, as she was on a client call.  Her instructions EXPRESSLY SAID "do not mess with them or change them, this is how I want them," because she correctly knew that I would look at them and say "they need more sauce."  Because....they needed more sauce.

2e2d07cd1a30b4b52eaccf4b08516478.jpg

I love my wife.  And she actually likes good food, and my cooking.  But sometimes her inner white girl comes roaring out, and god help me....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This is definitely NOT something I cooked lately.  Instead, it's something my wife cooked lately.
Her beloved, late mother made quite a few "white people" recipes.  For example, she made salmon croquettes with canned salmon and a cornflake crust (and god help me....I liked them.  A couple of those with ketchup, damn I liked em).  Another of her recipes, which my wife loved, is an enchilada recipe.
It uses flour tortillas instead of corn.  The filling is ground beef, chopped black olives, Monterrey jack cheese, a little salt and pepper, and a few tablespoons of gebhart enchilada sauce.  Then you roll them, and top with....hardly any enchilada sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese.  I have found that they are....fine....if I am allowed to spoon another half cup of enchilada sauce over my serving.
Here is the finished pan from last night.  She had actually prepped them, and left them for me to put in the oven when I got home, as she was on a client call.  Her instructions EXPRESSLY SAID "do not mess with them or change them, this is how I want them," because she correctly knew that I would look at them and say "they need more sauce."  Because....they needed more sauce.

I love my wife.  And she actually likes good food, and my cooking.  But sometimes her inner white girl comes roaring out, and god help me....

The flour tortilla and ground beef is textbook, white-people enchiladas.  And, as a white person who, under most circumstances would like to rise above his people's culinary deficiencies, I'll admit a weakness for these two components of WPE.  However, that weakness presumes that there is about a gallon of canned enchilada sauce dumped over them, along with an entire block of that Old San Francisco Steakhouse cheese shredded over the top.  Is your wife's family from the Midwest by chance?

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 7:49 PM, Bert Orange said:

Tonight is pan seared flounder with lump crab and old bay infused bernaise sauce served with roasted garlic angel hair butter pasta and pan roasted baby bok choy and shiitake mushrooms in a light mirin sauce.

30 min meal. 

IMG_3563.jpeg

Have to ask. Caught flounder or store bought. I’m scared of catching flounder down at coast cause I have 0 idea on how to clean. 

The flour tortilla and ground beef is textbook, white-people enchiladas.  And, as a white person who, under most circumstances would like to rise above his people's culinary deficiencies, I'll admit a weakness for these two components of WPE.  However, that weakness presumes that there is about a gallon of canned enchilada sauce dumped over them, along with an entire block of that Old San Francisco Steakhouse cheese shredded over the top.  Is your wife's family from the Midwest by chance?

Her mom was from Beaumont. But her mom was from Corsicana, so…yeah, lotta bland rural white people food.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I cracked up about salmon patties with canned salmon. My wife loves them but doesn’t think fresh seafood is great because of the smell.  On this subject it is like talking to an aggie about anything. 

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For example, she made salmon croquettes with canned salmon and a cornflake crust (and god help me....I liked them.

My family salmon croquette recipe also uses corn flake crumbs, and, unlike the more common meh salmon patties I see, they are awesome. 

But, no catsup for me. I prefer a mayo-Tabasco mix.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

My family salmon croquette recipe also uses corn flake crumbs, and, unlike the more common meh salmon patties I see, they are awesome. 

But, no catsup for me. I prefer a mayo-Tabasco mix.  

Man....most of my favorite foods are solidly mexican or coonass or just great classic fancy shit, or other ethnic foods....but there are also some generic white people/middle america/mid-century foods that I just love, no apologies and no ragrets.

Canned salmon croquettes with ketchup.

Cold meatloaf sandwiches with ketchup.

Fish sticks with ketchup.

Kraft mac n cheese.

Chicken/turkey tetrazzini.

PB&J on white bread.

Fried spam sandwiches with mayo and mustard.

Green bean casserole (topped with extra french fried onions).

Crunchy tacos - I'm talking pre-made shells, taco meat seasoned from a seasoning packet, shredded cheddar cheese and lettuce.

No shame, I like what I like.  But goddamn....a lot of other middle america white people recipes are just sad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have a cousin named Marlin so this hits close to home.

Coolest motherfucker on TV for a time....

TRdtVVvrUmsREU1koOZnlRp0HYJlPSAcYGxNFpLw

....although Jim was always the dude out getting his ass beat by a lion on the savannah while Marlin stayed in the Land Rover drinking martinis.  Which actually makes Marlin even cooler.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2024 at 10:39 PM, Party_Taco said:

Cooked up some meatballs in a Sangiovese reduction and tossed them into a spinach ravioli bake

90aab1ab1ca237214bef5761661fccec.jpg
995b839e7b9e48d9a7ebadb0c2b56ee9.jpg
717e590e5a1ba55e8d19a69c41d4b93e.jpg
0b1198e102beb448fc20122d7f1ff857.jpg

You inspired me, but I went low-rent and bought some fresh, pre-made meatballs, which I baked.  Then, I made a lasagna of sorts with layers of spinach and cheese ravioli, crushed tomatoes (seasoned), spinach, mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs.  Rinse repeat, drizzle with olive oil and bake.  I'll hopefully remember to snap a picture, which won't look as good as yours, but will be plenty tasty, I'm guessing.  Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2024 at 11:56 AM, Brisketexan said:

Man....most of my favorite foods are solidly mexican or coonass or just great classic fancy shit, or other ethnic foods....but there are also some generic white people/middle america/mid-century foods that I just love, no apologies and no ragrets.

Kraft mac n cheese.

PB&J on white bread.

Crunchy tacos - I'm talking pre-made shells, taco meat seasoned from a seasoning packet, shredded cheddar cheese and lettuce.

No shame, I like what I like.  But goddamn....a lot of other middle america white people recipes are just sad.

Pot roast. Beef stew.  Roast chicken with vegetables and potatoes. Smothered pork chops. 

All kinds of good white people shit. And people of other ethnicities either overseas or here have the shit-tier versions of their food. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2024 at 12:00 PM, Brisketexan said:

Coolest motherfucker on TV for a time....

TRdtVVvrUmsREU1koOZnlRp0HYJlPSAcYGxNFpLw

....although Jim was always the dude out getting his ass beat by a lion on the savannah while Marlin stayed in the Land Rover drinking martinis.  Which actually makes Marlin even cooler.

Marlin was back in his luxury tent, banging native girls. 

A food hill I will die on: English food is really good.  It gets a bad rap because:

1. Americans’ first mass encounter with it was during the war ration and blitz when people were making do.

2. The Brits went all over the world and tried to recreate their food with whatever facsimile could survive some horrendous age of sail voyage. 

In England it’s fantastic. Roasts, pies, sausages, cheeses, bread, baked goods. All of it. 

A food hill I will die on: English food is really good.  It gets a bad rap because:
1. Americans’ first mass encounter with it was during the war ration and blitz when people were making do.
2. The Brits went all over the world and tried to recreate their food with whatever facsimile could survive some horrendous age of sail voyage. 

In England it’s fantastic. Roasts, pies, sausages, cheeses, bread, baked goods. All of it. 

I won’t argue with you in that I like English food done well. Love meat pies, Sunday roast, red Leicester cheese, full English breakfast, all that. But the breadth of their good food is…NOT broad.
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 8:32 PM, Shaddie said:

I cracked up about salmon patties with canned salmon. My wife loves them but doesn’t think fresh seafood is great because of the smell.  On this subject it is like talking to an aggie about anything. 

In elementary school they serve salmon patties made with cheap red chum canned shit.  Stunk the school up.  They were horrific.  To this day I can’t eat salmon including the finesr shit you find in Oregon .  

No pics, but some kitchen seat-of-the-pants baking.  Made some banana bread in the machine, thought I had everything necessary but *EERRRR* no baking powder.  The only thing I had close to vinegar was PICKLE JUICE, so I used a teaspoon of that.  The banana bread is fantastic.  Soft, moist, delicious.

But I'm going to restock on baking powder.  Lighting only strikes once.

On 10/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, Brisketexan said:

Kraft mac n cheese.

PB&J on white bread.

You and I have similar taste. 

I'm a big fan of a grilled ham and cheese cut in half diagonally dipped in ketchup. 

Fritos and hot bean dip.

Fried pork chops with mashed potatoes.

Beans and weenies.