Texas Intercity Rivalries

MaybeACoordinator

I love Austin but after 7 years here I feel like it's time to move somewhere else. I was in grad school for six of those years and now am ready for a change. I grew up in KC area and would absolutely never move back there for various reasons and never really loved it. I actually have enjoyed any visit I've had to Dallas but I don't think I'd want to live there. Any friends I've had who have moved to Houston from Austin seem to really like it. I also never hear anyone talking shit about the other cities. They complain of entire communities from California moving here, the traffic, the fact that no minorities live in the city or that housing has skyrocketed.  We're probably moving to Chicago after year 8 comes to an end since the wife lived there before and we both love the city, and it'll be a step up for both of our careers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mchookem said:

i imagine that's true..but i did actually grow up more 'in' Houston. still probably the burbs back then, Inwood area. mom moved west near Katy after i graduated. 

as an aside... the area i grew up in was super nice back then, but i think it's one of the worst areas now. seems i read a few years ago that Antoine area had one of the highest crime rates in the city. that's so weird to imagine, some of my friends homes in Inwood Forest and Candlelight Forest and Inwood Oaks seemed like mansions! 

It's a damn shame what happened to Inwood. When I was moving back to Houston about a decade ago I was looking for a house close to work and in the Heights or just outside the 610 loop in the 290 area. I had lived in the Heights just after college and starting my career and loved it in that area of Houston.

After looking a bit online for a house in the Heights I was out. Just too expensive for the amount of house you would get.

So I started looking outside the loop in Inwood. There were 5 bedroom 2 story houses with a pool going for 95k to 105K? I was like WTF is going on here? Looking into a bit more I found out why. Horrible crime rates. Horrible schools.

Apparently a bunch of  apartments were built all around the subdivision and the new members of the neighborhood were basically using Inwood as their own personal Walmart. Need a new TV just go to Inwood and grab what you want. It ran all the remaining residents out and up 290 to the Jersey Village and Cypress areas.

Don't really go to that area now. Not sure how it is going or if it has changed.