The Supremes

tx 3 putt

True but that's a privilege you have that others won't be afforded. A lot of people are going to be pulled out of their myopia when the effects of the Trump 2nd term start affecting them or people they care about/claim to care about. 

You mean like when we institute a draft to invade Ukraine?

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You mean like when we institute a draft to invade Ukraine?

No, more like when you want to try to fix your house up and it's hard to get a crew together to do the work. Or the family of a kid with brown skin that your kid went to school with is suddenly gone because they got swept up in an ICE operation. Or the gay couple you know suddenly has to quickly leave for a safer destination. Or someone's teen daughter or mother dies from a complication of their pregnancy and can't receive the proper care they need. Or someone's trans child kills themself because they can't get any sort of assistance. Or you get pregnant because you're not allowed access to birth control. 

I'm sure I can come up with more. But I get it, it's a lot easier to tune this out. Like I said that's a privilege for some. I'm hoping living in a majority blue city is going to make the next 4 years easier. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

True but that's a privilege you have that others won't be afforded. A lot of people are going to be pulled out of their myopia when the effects of the Trump 2nd term start affecting them or people they care about/claim to care about. 

16 minutes ago, troph said:

once I find a safe place, i'll do that. i did the first 2 years of the biden admin, it was great.

Yep, to be clear this was no attempt at a humblebrag or anything.  It was a shocking realization at how simple it was (don’t check Twitter) to be insulated from all the bad news, and that the majority of Americans live this way.  Soon enough, the “bad news” will move from words on the internet to real life application, but by then it will be to late.

Democrats gotta figure out a way to break through to those that don’t live on Twitter, to make the SCOTUS takeover as ubiquitous as “HILLARY’S EMAILS” or “HUNTER’S LAPTOP.”  We’re careening off the cliff right now, yet the majority of the country has no idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I wish I wasn’t. I’m depressed as fuck about it all. I annoyed my husband last night when I again brought up where we are going to move/flee to. We just bought a condo last year and are building our lives. It’s goddamn sad. I wish I could be optimistic and know that we will prevail. But it’s all so hopeless right now. I’m still going vote and try and get as many people to the polls as possible.  It just feels likes it’s all in vain 

if you're in Texas, it is indeed, in vain.

I wish I wasn’t. I’m depressed as fuck about it all. I annoyed my husband last night when I again brought up where we are going to move/flee to. We just bought a condo last year and are building our lives. It’s goddamn sad. I wish I could be optimistic and know that we will prevail. But it’s all so hopeless right now. I’m still going vote and try and get as many people to the polls as possible.  It just feels likes it’s all in vain 

There are no safe places. Also - easy dual citizenship places just upped their prices. St Lucia went from $100k or so to $200k or so - following a lot of other islands. I’m gonna need them to stop that until December when the wife gets her bonus. If anyone’s plan is paying for dual citizenship - do it now or start planning to do it soon.
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

There are no safe places. Also - easy dual citizenship places just upped their prices. St Lucia went from $100k or so to $200k or so - following a lot of other islands. I’m gonna need them to stop that until December when the wife gets her bonus. If anyone’s plan is paying for dual citizenship - do it now or start planning to do it soon.

islands aren't safe (hurricanes). Southern Europe is burning hot these days. and fascism is on the rise everywhere. Right now I think Portugal, Costa Rica (maybe even in the mountains), shit where else? Northern Europe maybe. South Pacific is hotAF.

• Like 1

My hope is that the worst of it turns the US into two separate kinds of states, almost two unions in one (gee that worked last time didn't it?), blue states and red states and SCOTUS and the feds (taken over by the fascists) make the feds an awful place for "others" allowing red states to do the same, but still allowing blue states to be accommodating to "others".  If that's it, we just play a nationwide musical chairs and we leave for a blue state and they leave for a red state and we all self-segregate.

I actually think this is the most likely scenario. But I'm not stupid, I know it could go farther.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, pacman said:

Even Barrett disagrees with that bit of desperate nonsense

20240702_122418.jpg

that's a more traditional analysis of "qualified immunity" which if applied correctly would result in these kinds of findings. It's why I had a hard time figuring out what was so bad, I assumed initially that absolute immunity was for things like pardon, going to war, appointing judges, etc. and that the rest was qualified on official or unofficial acts where ALL evidence is germane. 

She's attacking the most relevant evidence is deemed irrelevant. Hey, if he's wearing the flag pin on his lapel, it's official, immune. She's somewhere much closer to normal on a qualified immunity framework.

If Barrett had the pen for the majority, we would probably be "okay" in some sense, though if she acquiesced to absolute immunity for conversations with the AG no matter the subject - which I think she did - then we are still turbo fucked.

I still contend the analysis should be unofficial includes ultra vires acts even in your official capacity. act in question is criminal? yes. You knew it was criminal? yes. you did it anyway? yes. There is clear evidence? yes. Ok, not an official act, no immunity.

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

@immamac are you going to be able to facilitate purging user comments if/when Trump becomes dictator and wants to do some official retribution? Something similar to when TOS was purged? I for one would be interested in it in that case.  

Yeah shit will get locked down and/or removed without a trace. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

not that it's going to do much (the record is there) but I'm strongly considering going 100% dark on social media. deactivating and deleting my insta/fb accounts. I really am only using fb for a few groups and it's been a long while since I posted political stuff on fb - like years. but still having a digital footprint seems like a terrible idea these days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If Trump wins or attempts another insurrection, believe me---this whole website is going away.  Without a trace.  No way in the fucking world can some of this shit about Abbott, the Board or Regents, or Trump show up on search engines.  

I'll forget how to speak Spanish, go back to my more anglo-sounding name, and blend in again with the establishment.  I'll wait it out until we get correct paperwork for either Israel, Portugal, Mexico, or Costa Rica.  My wife won't like it, and her family will certainly give me a ton of shit about taking my daughters to a "shithole country", but I can bug out personally in 36 hours, my family in 36 days.  

The thing you have to worry about isn't the GOP in charge.  They're predictable and easy to buy.  I don't worry about the survivalist hoarding supplies and ammo, they're cowards in the end.  There will be no Mason-Dixon line.  No Gettysburg or Fort Sumter.  But there will be a few million that simply don't accept another Trump defeat and won't know how to react, they'll just take to the streets and act out.  And they're the stupidest of the stupids.  I have been around truly evil people all my life.  Only person I fear though is the one in the corner, with nothing left to lose.  I've grappled with 'em all, but the truly destitute and marginalized who believe in their core that somebody stole their validation.  And multiply that by several million.  That's when the movie gets unsettling.  See y'all on the dark side of the moon...

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Jokes on all of you people. Icono has been keeping screenshots and he'll turn them over to the secret police after Trump is sworn in. The cabal is finished. 

No he won’t. They’ll deport him long before that.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

In case the information purge doesn't work, I just want to reassure whoever is listening that I am definitely not a person of Hispanic heritage. Nope, my last name is by adoption, they were super white too, I promise. OH and I my skin tans quickly and it manages to stay for a very long time, it's just the sun, super healthy doses of sun, I spend a lot of time outside, and am good at avoiding tanlines. Definitely no genetic darkness on my skin. Viva America! .... I mean "God Bless the USA!" I don't know what viva means, is that slang from Alabama? I meant the paper towels, promise.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

not that it's going to do much (the record is there) but I'm strongly considering going 100% dark on social media. deactivating and deleting my insta/fb accounts. I really am only using fb for a few groups and it's been a long while since I posted political stuff on fb - like years. but still having a digital footprint seems like a terrible idea these days.

Living in north Collin County, I will be a bit worried about local low-IQ MAGA.

15 hours ago, troph said:

This decision has me in full support of a pack the court strategy. Take it to 15. Hell appoint moderates that’s fine. This court is rogue, overturning precedent left and right. This isn’t all about Trump, I don’t want a stronger executive. It’s time to reign the judicial branch back in. 

When the Dems win in November it will be with a mandate to rein in the Leo Court. I can see an all out push to I enlarge the court, even among those who don’t usually have a stomach for this kind of thing. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

If Trump wins or attempts another insurrection, believe me---this whole website is going away.  Without a trace.  No way in the fucking world can some of this shit about Abbott, the Board or Regents, or Trump show up on search engines.  

I'll forget how to speak Spanish, go back to my more anglo-sounding name, and blend in again with the establishment.  I'll wait it out until we get correct paperwork for either Israel, Portugal, Mexico, or Costa Rica.  My wife won't like it, and her family will certainly give me a ton of shit about taking my daughters to a "shithole country", but I can bug out personally in 36 hours, my family in 36 days.  

The thing you have to worry about isn't the GOP in charge.  They're predictable and easy to buy.  I don't worry about the survivalist hoarding supplies and ammo, they're cowards in the end.  There will be no Mason-Dixon line.  No Gettysburg or Fort Sumter.  But there will be a few million that simply don't accept another Trump defeat and won't know how to react, they'll just take to the streets and act out.  And they're the stupidest of the stupids.  I have been around truly evil people all my life.  Only person I fear though is the one in the corner, with nothing left to lose.  I've grappled with 'em all, but the truly destitute and marginalized who believe in their core that somebody stole their validation.  And multiply that by several million.  That's when the movie gets unsettling.  See y'all on the dark side of the moon...

Do we not have on our side any corner-dwellers with nothing to lose? They could really help us out right about now. I've got a list of names. 

there are people of all political stripes willing to give up what little they have for their cause or absence of cause.  Democrat or Republican, armed or unarmed.  What makes this one weird is they think they're fighting for a messiah-like figure who doesn't even know they exist.  Those are the corner-dwellers I fear.  The rest I have dealt with all my life.  When you're convinced the man who doesn't love you tells you it's gonna be different this time around...that's when shit gets weird.  He's not building a cult.  He's raising a brigade of insanity.  

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

Why?  What reason did they give you to think there was a limit?  They heard fake cases, overturned previous rulings, took bribes, etc.  The only limit they have is what their fascist friends don't want.  

I guess it was their refusal to lend a hand to Trump when he was trying to steal 2020, along with ordering his tax returns released. 

I knew Alito and Thomas would be good little fascists for their orange overlord, but I believed at least 2 of the remaining 4 assholes wouldn't go so far as giving us a king. 

23 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

This is going to be the most depressing July 4th of my life. Most depressing so far, I should say. 

I tend to enjoy low key celebrations, I think we are opting out all together. i'll go fishing or we will go hiking. no cell coverage. enjoy our dog and fish, they are where it's at.

12 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I guess it was their refusal to lend a hand to Trump when he was trying to steal 2020, along with ordering his tax returns released. 

I knew Alito and Thomas would be good little fascists for their orange overlord, but I believed at least 2 of the remaining 4 assholes wouldn't go so far as giving us a king. 

I thought the same.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Do we not have on our side any corner-dwellers with nothing to lose? They could really help us out right about now. I've got a list of names. 

numbers are too small and our power is too little. trans people, queer people, poor people, POC, certain environmental activists, but no mission from God or anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

Russia hasn't ever been a real democracy. The people there weren't broken by technology they were broken by brutality and civil war. 
Most Russians don't even give a fuck about Russia. 
Do not compare most Americans to Russians. The amount of technological innovation that has come from the American people is unrivaled and the greed of few has turned the greatest invention of all time against its populace for the sake of power. 

Yeah…the comparison is getting more apt by the day. The enshittification of “we the people” is nearly complete. The only thing that will set us apart from Russians is that we’re killing our selves by the truckload with opiates instead of vodka.

Authoritarianism is like Leach’s Air Raid, it’s the same few plays run out of different formations giving the illusion of a complex system.  And the solution is always to hit the fucking QB in the mouth. 

Fucking this. We need to attack. All of them, relentlessly. All MAGA politicians, all MAGA voters. Attack them, ruin them, destroy them. Cause them unspeakable pain and suffering. It’s the only language they understand.
And thus, it’s our only chance.
You don’t. Negotiate with fascists. You shoot them in the face. Today, metaphorically…but tomorrow, sooner than you want to think, it will be literally. A shooting war is coming. They want it, and they aren’t going to stop until they get it.
You don't really get lawyers do ya?
Sarcasm aside, having an explicit right of privacy is a far better place to start than something implied from the 4th Amendment concerning search, seizure, and housing soldiers.

EXCEPT THIS APPROACH WRITES THE 9th AMENDMENT ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE CONSTITUTION. It is the embodiment of “if it’s not enumerated, it’s not a right.” When the 9th says:
“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people,” it means what it says.
I still find it amazing that all of these supposed “strict constitutionalists” like Alito look at the 9th and say “oh…not that one. It doesn’t exist.”
Fuck those fuckers. I have rights. And if I have to take them back at gunpoint, then that’s how it will have to be. We did this shit once. The irony of the fuckers waving the Gadsden flag and shouting “1776!” being the people who are going to guarantee another bloody war of a people against an oppressive totalitarian government.
Kings are for killing. That’s how a real American thinks.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Hitler didn’t invade Europe all at once and overnight. Fascists test the waters.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I heard Michael Steele relate a conversation he recently had with a magalitia member. While basking in the glow of Biden’s failed performance, he shared a little known plan they to execute should Trump win. Plans are in place to add four justices to the SC. 

Saying that magalitia is feeling froggy is an understatement. And they will act on their plan.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Trump wins, and turns on his tv sometime in 2025 and sees commentators not bending the knee to dear leader, can he now order the justice department to arrest, say, Jake Tapper? Or fuck it, just shut down the network if he feels like it?

Well, if it is part of his official duties, sure.  

7 hours ago, troph said:

South Pacific is hotAF.

The humidity and rain can be a real beating in the South Pacific, but the people are good and I already put together the basics of an exit strategy from American life over the last year and a half. Some absolutely wonderful places there to work and call home if you are okay with uprooting and becoming part of an entirely different culture. This kind of stuff is right up my alley as I have always gravitated towards people and cultures different from what I grew up in. This ability to adapt has been a strength for me.

For others I can see looking at the South Pacific as way too far removed from the life they live to do it no matter the circumstances in the mainland US. I guess it’s mostly a matter of how you want to spend your life going forward. For those of y’all with families it is far more complicated than someone like me that just has two dogs to take with.

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The humidity and rain can be a real beating in the South Pacific, but the people are good and I already put together the basics of an exit strategy from American life over the last year and a half. Some absolutely wonderful places there to work and call home if you are okay with uprooting and becoming part of an entirely different culture. This kind of stuff is right up my alley as I have always gravitated towards people and cultures different from what I grew up in. This ability to adapt has been a strength for me.

For others I can see looking at the South Pacific as way too far removed from the life they live to do it no matter the circumstances in the mainland US. I guess it’s mostly a matter of how you want to spend your life going forward. For those of y’all with families it is far more complicated than someone like me that just has two dogs to take with.

Yeah, I only have two dogs, but also have a wife who is VERY attached to her family.  That is the only thing holding me here.

that's a more traditional analysis of "qualified immunity" which if applied correctly would result in these kinds of findings. It's why I had a hard time figuring out what was so bad, I assumed initially that absolute immunity was for things like pardon, going to war, appointing judges, etc. and that the rest was qualified on official or unofficial acts where ALL evidence is germane. 
She's attacking the most relevant evidence is deemed irrelevant. Hey, if he's wearing the flag pin on his lapel, it's official, immune. She's somewhere much closer to normal on a qualified immunity framework.
If Barrett had the pen for the majority, we would probably be "okay" in some sense, though if she acquiesced to absolute immunity for conversations with the AG no matter the subject - which I think she did - then we are still turbo fucked.
I still contend the analysis should be unofficial includes ultra vires acts even in your official capacity. act in question is criminal? yes. You knew it was criminal? yes. you did it anyway? yes. There is clear evidence? yes. Ok, not an official act, no immunity.

Assuming Barrett doesn’t change her mind in the post sod contention she expresses with the majority, that “stuff” wouldn’t play going forward, right?

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, I only have two dogs, but also have a wife who is VERY attached to her family.  That is the only thing holding me here.

This is where I see so many of y’all being at. I have family back in my hometown in Texas, but the pull is not enough to ever make me go back. I empathize with the situation you and your wife have in front of you.

We just get this one life and I’ll be darned if I am going to waste it attempting to help folks who do not want it. I’d rather go be part of a different culture and be a positive contributor there while trying to do right by folks. When the lowest rung of society, not monetarily, but the lowest of the low in ethics, morals and all that entails has decided the being decent is no longer a requirement to be a part of society, well, that is the bright blinking sign telling me to head elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Only reason we’re back in Texas and it’s absolutely killing me… Uprooted from one of the bluest states no less and spent a fortune coming back at the worst possible time.

🫠🫠🫠
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

My hope is that the worst of it turns the US into two separate kinds of states, almost two unions in one (gee that worked last time didn't it?), blue states and red states and SCOTUS and the feds (taken over by the fascists) make the feds an awful place for "others" allowing red states to do the same, but still allowing blue states to be accommodating to "others".  If that's it, we just play a nationwide musical chairs and we leave for a blue state and they leave for a red state and we all self-segregate.

I actually think this is the most likely scenario. But I'm not stupid, I know it could go farther.

That can't work long term unless the red states start building walls to prevent their citizens from fleeing.

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…the comparison is getting more apt by the day. The enshittification of “we the people” is nearly complete. The only thing that will set us apart from Russians is that we’re killing our selves by the truckload with opiates instead of vodka.

Fucking this. We need to attack. All of them, relentlessly. All MAGA politicians, all MAGA voters. Attack them, ruin them, destroy them. Cause them unspeakable pain and suffering. It’s the only language they understand.
And thus, it’s our only chance.
You don’t. Negotiate with fascists. You shoot them in the face. Today, metaphorically…but tomorrow, sooner than you want to think, it will be literally. A shooting war is coming. They want it, and they aren’t going to stop until they get it.

EXCEPT THIS APPROACH WRITES THE 9th AMENDMENT ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE CONSTITUTION. It is the embodiment of “if it’s not enumerated, it’s not a right.” When the 9th says:
“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people,” it means what it says.
I still find it amazing that all of these supposed “strict constitutionalists” like Alito look at the 9th and say “oh…not that one. It doesn’t exist.”
Fuck those fuckers. I have rights. And if I have to take them back at gunpoint, then that’s how it will have to be. We did this shit once. The irony of the fuckers waving the Gadsden flag and shouting “1776!” being the people who are going to guarantee another bloody war of a people against an oppressive totalitarian government.
Kings are for killing. That’s how a real American thinks.

Brisket posts always turn my MAGAt bloodlust up to 11. These fuckers need to be hunted down and eradicated.