The Supremes

tx 3 putt

ok we see it the same.  I think the risk are:
1. Red states are gone, huge risks.
2. Blue states are probably ok (SCOTUS can't outlaw us), but sweep of Congress/WH by MAGA makes it a risk at that time.
3. Violence anywhere is a risk (everything from Pulse style to civil war style (maga vs. others, not people vs. government).

There will be no Blue States. They will implement an electoral college type system like Texas wants to do.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I think the likelihood of a traditional civil war is nil. I think the federal government is too strong to allow for a sustained insurrection or for any succession. I do think there can and probably will be more skirmishes between militia types and the government. I also think citizen on citizen violence is already here and it will increase. I think MAGA violence against LGBTQ and POC (black Americans and people of Hispanic decent) is coming. And in that sense, I do believe there is a high likelihood of a non-traditional civil war where people die at the hands of their neighbors.

One scenario I think you could see with a MAGA reshaping of the federal government (I'll use Colorado as an example, because there is a shit ton of MAGA crazy here in rural areas):  Colorado take steps to protect rights for its citizens that stand to be marginalized if Project 2025 happens.  The executive orders and federal law alluded to in Project 2025 are enacted that contradicts those state protections.  Rural MAGA militia types take it upon themselves to enforce the federal laws by breaking the state laws.  The state will step in to enforce their laws.  As the state law is applied to the militia types who deputized themselves to enforce federal laws, those vigilantes will appeal to Trump and MAGA to intercede and protect them.  If it ever gets to that point, I don't know what happens.  I guess it depends on how beneficent Trump is feeling that day.  I'm sure Steve Bannon will be around to remind him that Colorado tried to keep him off the ballot.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

One scenario I think you could see with a MAGA reshaping of the federal government (I'll use Colorado as an example, because there is a shit ton of MAGA crazy here in rural areas):  Colorado take steps to protect rights for its citizens that stand to be marginalized if Project 2025 happens.  The executive orders and federal law alluded to in Project 2025 are enacted that contradicts those state protections.  Rural MAGA militia types take it upon themselves to enforce the federal laws by breaking the state laws.  The state will step in to enforce their laws.  As the state law is applied to the militia types who deputized themselves to enforce federal laws, those vigilantes will appeal to Trump and MAGA to intercede and protect them.  If it ever gets to that point, I don't know what happens.  I guess it depends on how beneficent Trump is feeling that day.  I'm sure Steve Bannon will be around to remind him that Colorado tried to keep him off the ballot.

That to me falls in the civil violence category where no geographical location is safe.  We’ve now been to CO for the summer twice. I think we are narrowing in where we would choose to be and while not urban it seems relatively liberal. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

That to me falls in the civil violence category where no geographical location is safe.  We’ve now been to CO for the summer twice. I think we are narrowing in where we would chose to be and while not urban it seems relatively liberal. 

Yeah, there are spots that are rural and not crazy here in CO, and it usually aligns with affluence and education.  Just look at county voting maps, they tell you where you definitely don't want to be.

1200px-Colorado_Presidential_Election_Re

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, there are spots that are rural and not crazy here in CO, and it usually aligns with affluence and education.  Just look at county voting maps, they tell you where you definitely don't want to be.

This map aligns with our decision making. there are parts of the mountains in CO that are as nutty as rural Texas. They are pretty easy to spot too. we are likely passing on Durango (though I think that’s the blue county south central?), Pagosa Springs, Gunnison, Salida, Buena Vista, Lake City…  

preferences are HWY 82, steamboat, crested butte, outside of telluride, maybe ouray and silverton. Southwest CO though is so effing isolated so it’s likely a no for that reason alone. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

This map aligns with our decision making. there are parts of the mountains in CO that are as nutty as rural Texas. They are pretty easy to spot too. we are likely passing on Durango (though I think that’s the blue county south central?), Pagosa Springs, Gunnison, Salida, Buena Vista, Lake City…  

Chaffee county with Salida and Buena Vista would be as good a place as any outside of Denver, unless you can afford to live in Summit (Breckenridge), Eagle (Vail) or Dolores (Telluride) counties.  The light blue on the bottom left is La Plata county where Durango is.  The blue in the south central is Costilla county, and I'm not sure why it's so blue.  There is not much there, and I've driven through it, and it doesn't match what I see in other counties.  Poor, undereducated, white and rural is almost always a recipe for MAGA.

Just now, Goredho said:

Chaffee county with Salida and Buena Vista would be as good a place as any outside of Denver, unless you can afford to live in Summit (Breckenridge), Eagle (Vail) or Dolores (Telluride) counties.  The light blue on the bottom left is La Plata county where Durango is.  The blue in the south central is Costilla county, and I'm not sure why it's so blue.  There is not much there, and I've driven through it, and it doesn't match what I see in other counties.  Poor, undereducated, white and rural is almost always a recipe for MAGA.

interesting. Chaffee seems a bit maga-y. I always think durango / pagosa are further central than they are. too many texans going there for my liking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

interesting. Chaffee seems a bit maga-y. I always think durango / pagosa are further central than they are. too many texans going there for my liking.

Chaffee is light blue on that map and that's pretty accurate.  The vast majority of people are very tolerant and very accepting.  There are a few assholes that like being as loud as possible about how they are living under liberal oppression.

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Just go ahead and give Eastern Colorado to Kansas 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They already said that.  They said that the President can take any action that is colorable within his core constitutional powers.  One of those is as commander in chief of the military.

As he has determined that the homogays and trans and brown people and democrats are a grave threat to national security, poisoning the blood of our country, which constitutes open warfare against real Americans, he will order the military to round all of those people up and execute them if they resist/argue.

Criminal consequences: NONE.

Impeachment conviction risk: NONE, unless the dems control 60 votes in the Senate, which will not happen when he imprisons/kills/otherwise strips the right to vote from all democratic voters.

Just read the script.  The most recent one that fits was written in German, but I'm sure you can find a good translation somewhere.

project 2025 - criminalize being lgqbt 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife and I have been mulling over a move out of Austin as well for these reasons. We are about to have two  young daughters, and even if things don’t completely deteriorate federally, I can’t imagine things will look great (for us) in Texas in the next 5-10 years. We’re both very feminine and conventionally attractive, so no hassles wherever we go on a day-to-day level, but I think the child  and marriage license thing are going to be a problem in the future. 

Any good recs on an accepting Denver suburb or relatively nice neighborhood in Denver proper?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

I was just stating that if Barrett’s concurrence did not include certain holdings of the majority, then future cases would be decided the same way on that particular issue, meaning 5-4 with Barrett agreeing with the three dissenters here.

Yes gotcha now. its only real relevance is as a contrast to the majority opinion to better understand the primary holdings of the majority. Sucks big time.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Texas Rs have proposed that you have to win the majority of COUNTIES, not population. So bumfuck county in west Texas with 300 people has as much voting power as Harris County. 

Ah for state wide. Gotcha. Well that’s shitty, but hopefully I’ll be gone by then. Seems inevitable though. 

11 hours ago, troph said:

deal, though you might have to come to the mountains, we wouldn't be in Denver.

Beware of Boeberts former district.  Estes is gorgeous and Telluride is over there as well.  I would suggest Fort Collins.  East of the MTNs so 300 days of sun and decent pizza. 

6 hours ago, bonnieblue said:

My wife and I have been mulling over a move out of Austin as well for these reasons. We are about to have two  young daughters, and even if things don’t completely deteriorate federally, I can’t imagine things will look great (for us) in Texas in the next 5-10 years. We’re both very feminine and conventionally attractive, so no hassles wherever we go on a day-to-day level, but I think the child  and marriage license thing are going to be a problem in the future. 

Any good recs on an accepting Denver suburb or relatively nice neighborhood in Denver proper?

Downtown isn't too bad.  Big homeless shelter on the East side.  But Arvada and Broomfield are good.  

40 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My wife and I have been discussing where we will go when we leave Texas. Colorado would be lovely and we have some family there on my side, but wildfires seem to be CO's version of a hurricane 

we are here now, had dinner last night with new friends, gay couple we met playing tennis. there was a fire here pre-covid. they evacuated, their hood and home were saved. the whole town was saved but the scars on the mountain are still here.  there's been enough recovery that it's not an eye sore (grass/scrub covered mountain now) but you can definitely see it.

Have some relatives who live in a lovely older neighborhood east of Colorado Blvd between 6th and 8th. Very accessible and reasonable sized lots. Getting some infill but they seem to be complimentary to existing houses. Not sure on pricing.
01f3e26cc15e079b2b1d1b3267f2d69c.png

The only way out is to pack the Court and undo the crazy bullshit of this term - but I can’t see how that actually gets accomplished. 6 members of the Court paved the way for a GOP dictatorship. It’s insane to me how many people, including Roberts, want Trump to be dictator for life. 

It’s difficult to understand why so many people are ho hum about this slow moving coup

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

17 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Have some relatives who live in a lovely older neighborhood east of Colorado Blvd between 6th and 8th. Very accessible and reasonable sized lots. Getting some infill but they seem to be complimentary to existing houses. Not sure on pricing.

I read that as Kramerica Street.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, TexPx said:

I have some very good friends at 17th and Kramerica. So north of Colfax.  It’s a great spot near City Park. My wife and I have talked about Denver being a possible landing spot if we ever leave Texas.  

• Like 1