The Supremes

tx 3 putt

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

it really picked up during the Trump admin huh

A prolonged dragging of their asses to hell and back publicly is a little more than something, imo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

Now that little nugget about questioning the legality of special counsels by Thomas on the trump immunity decisions makes even more sense. It was also put there to protect his own ass too

https://www.courthousenews.com/thomas-questions-constitutionality-of-special-counsel-in-immunity-concurrence/

While the question was not at issue in the immunity case, legal experts note that by going off on his own to say that the special counsel violates the Constitution’s appointments clause, Thomas opens additional avenues for Trump’s lawyers in Florida and in Washington to further slow the already struggling federal cases. 

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Rage+1 2

Aside from the other horrors if dotard wins (Project 2025, endless grifting, etc), the Supreme Court will be decimated for 100 years.  Thomas and Alito will be bribed to retire and then replaced with 30 year olds who will do what they are told.  Then Sotomayor at 71 years old will have an unfortunate accident and will be replaced also.  Shit, it might end up 8-2 when all is said and done.

• Like 1

As shitty as Alito and Thomas are, I'm coming to hate Roberts more than any of them.  He operates under the guise of a traditional SC Justice, but he's obviously been playing the long game to ensure that the U.S. is ultimately an oligarchy where the ultra-rich continue to be able to fuck the rest of us without any recourse.  Between the VRA cases, Citizens United, Loper Bright, etc., it's pretty clear that he exists only to do the Kochs' bidding. 

There was a pretty good piece in the Harvard Law Journal about this, but it predated all the most recent shenanigans:

The Roberts Court's Assault on Democracy (HLJ)

It should be clear by now that, even if we manage to keep Trump out of office, we have to fix the USSC one way or another. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Aside from the other horrors if dotard wins (Project 2025, endless grifting, etc), the Supreme Court will be decimated for 100 years.  Thomas and Alito will be bribed to retire and then replaced with 30 year olds who will do what they are told.  Then Sotomayor at 71 years old will have an unfortunate accident and will be replaced also.  Shit, it might end up 8-2 when all is said and done.

snuck in a 10th Justice right under the Dems' noses!

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, yoladu said:

snuck in a 10th Justice right under the Dems' noses!

Ha, my bad.  Speaking of expanding the court though, they would be the ones to do it.  Dems are too big of pussies to do anything to save us.

*11-2

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

As shitty as Alito and Thomas are, I'm coming to hate Roberts more than any of them.  He operates under the guise of a traditional SC Justice, but he's obviously been playing the long game to ensure that the U.S. is ultimately an oligarchy where the ultra-rich continue to be able to fuck the rest of us without any recourse.  Between the VRA cases, Citizens United, Loper Bright, etc., it's pretty clear that he exists only to do the Kochs' bidding. 

There was a pretty good piece in the Harvard Law Journal about this, but it predated all the most recent shenanigans:

The Roberts Court's Assault on Democracy (HLJ)

It should be clear by now that, even if we manage to keep Trump out of office, we have to fix the USSC one way or another. 

Just FYI Adelman was censured by the Seventh Circuit for publishing that garbage. 

• Fuck You 5

6 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Just FYI Adelman was censured by the Seventh Circuit for publishing that garbage. 

Just FYI this asshole doesn't think Trump was trying to overthrow the government on 1/6.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Just FYI this asshole doesn't think Trump was trying to overthrow the government on 1/6.

Well then that asshole is a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

From that same censure:

The Judicial Council concludes that these complaints should be resolved through a public admonition to Judge Adelman that also reminds all judges within the circuit of our obligations to ensure that judges’ public speaking and writing do not undermine public confidence in the fair administration of justice. 

In light of everything else in this thread, all I can say is the 7th Circuit can get fucked.  I understand that judges should do their best to preserve public confidence in the judiciary, but guess what?  There ain't much to preserve at this point, and calling out the Roberts Court as the group most responsible for that should be fair game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Just FYI, it was a public admonition for the opening two sentences.  The Judicial Council recognized that:

The vast majority of Judge Adelman’s article at issue here consists of substantive criticism of Supreme Court decisions. Those criticisms are well within the boundaries of appropriate discourse.

https://www.wied.uscourts.gov/sites/wied/files/documents/judicial-conduct_2020%3A07-20-90046_90044.pdf

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just FYI, it was a public admonition for the opening two sentences.  The Judicial Council recognized that:

The vast majority of Judge Adelman’s article at issue here consists of substantive criticism of Supreme Court decisions. Those criticisms are well within the boundaries of appropriate discourse.

https://www.wied.uscourts.gov/sites/wied/files/documents/judicial-conduct_2020%3A07-20-90046_90044.pdf

He was admonished for the opening two sentences AND the criticisms of partisan policy decisions and you will note that Judge Adelman caved under the scrutiny and tried to walk those comments back, but it was too late to do so. 

Criticizing decisions, even in extraordinarily harsh language, is fair game. But Adelman indulged in petulant whining and did not do a lot to advance his cause (in my opinion). 

Just like I should not have called his article "garbage." That was neither appropriate nor fair, but I was reacting to his narrative and his personal attacks on other members of the bench. 

Edited by BHMCruiser

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

From that same censure:

In light of everything else in this thread, all I can say is the 7th Circuit can get fucked.  I understand that judges should do their best to preserve public confidence in the judiciary, but guess what?  There ain't much to preserve at this point, and calling out the Roberts Court as the group most responsible for that should be fair game.

Yeah I understand that position and often criticize who I consider to be intellectually dishonest, activist judges, but Adelman's approach was counterproductive.

Batshit SCOTUS needs to be at the center of a firestorm of societal, and judicial, opprobrium, from all sides. Since when are their recent decisions conservative?  Enabling a fucking dictator with the color of legality is unfuckingAmerican. Adelson saw where this was going. Fuck the seventh circuit.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Batshit SCOTUS needs to be at the center of a firestorm of societal, and judicial, opprobrium, from all sides. Since when are their recent decisions conservative?  Enabling a fucking dictator with the color of legality is unfuckingAmerican. Adelson saw where this was going. Fuck the seventh circuit.

Don't worry, I'm sure BHM has a great explanation for why Trump v US was the right decision (which explanation is just him regurgitating Roberts' absurdly shitty opinion).

• Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Satchel said:

A prolonged dragging of their asses to hell and back publicly is a little more than something, imo.

Not really. If nothing changes all it does is raise our blood pressure. I’m fed up with this shit. 

16 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Don't worry, I'm sure BHM has a great explanation for why Trump v US was the right decision (which explanation is just him regurgitating Roberts' absurdly shitty opinion).

I haven’t read it yet so I don’t have an opinion

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

I haven’t read it yet so I don’t have an opinion

I'm pretty sure the outcome of this decision,  and all the fucking decisions lately,  could just go ahead and help you form an opinion...

This shit from this court is so fucking disingenuous.  They fucking act like they can't control the outcomes,  then they design specific "tests" and arguments that start from a conclusion and wind their way back to the "logic" of the problem. 

Would you go back in a time machine and kill Hitler?

Well,  now's your chance to do the next best thing possible

Edited by SKJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

What's really annoying is that if the majority had gone with Barrett they might have saved a little face but just couldn't do it. Barrett essentially agreed that immunity exists for official acts, but went on to say that the Court had enough of a record to determine that nothing that dotard was charged with was an official act, which is true, and which the lower court will almost certainly determine. The majority also had no reason whatsoever to go into the evidentiary rule that was only inserted to help trump by making the burden harder on the government. That's the part that really pisses me off. Roberts has no defense anymore to the legitimacy of his court. The Roberts Court will be considered one of if not the worst including once he's long dead. The fact that he cares so little about his legacy is astonishing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

What's really annoying is that if the majority had gone with Barrett they might have saved a little face but just couldn't do it. Barrett essentially agreed that immunity exists for official acts, but went on to say that the Court had enough of a record to determine that nothing that dotard was charged with was an official act, which is true, and which the lower court will almost certainly determine. The majority also had no reason whatsoever to go into the evidentiary rule that was only inserted to help trump by making the burden harder on the government. That's the part that really pisses me off. Roberts has no defense anymore to the legitimacy of his court. The Roberts Court will be considered one of if not the worst including once he's long dead. The fact that he cares so little about his legacy is astonishing.

1000x yes to every part of this.

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Barrett essentially agreed that immunity exists for official acts, but went on to say that the Court had enough of a record to determine that nothing that dotard was charged with was an official act, which is true, and which the lower court will almost certainly determine.

Question:  let's say the lower court does just this.  Is there any possibility that this gets advanced back to SCOTUS?  Are we in an endless ping pong loop?

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question:  let's say the lower court does just this.  Is there any possibility that this gets advanced back to SCOTUS?  Are we in an endless ping pong loop?

Yes.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's guaranteed unless Trump drops dead before it can happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes.

And this is undoubtedly the majority's intent - i.e., making it impossible to get a resolution before the election.  Fucking shameless hacks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

I'm pretty sure the outcome of this decision,  and all the fucking decisions lately,  could just go ahead and help you form an opinion...

This shit from this court is so fucking disingenuous.  They fucking act like they can't control the outcomes,  then they design specific "tests" and arguments that start from a conclusion and wind their way back to the "logic" of the problem. 

Would you go back in a time machine and kill Hitler?

Well,  now's your chance to do the next best thing possible

For my part I very much agree with you where Dobbs is concerned.

Don’t bother reading it, as the ruling no longer matters. Except for conferring absolute immunity on our monarch for official acts. Our monarch isn’t bound by any past or future SCOTUS blathering. Calvinball in the front yard should have garnered your attention.

Edited to concur with a friend who suggested out monarch send some jack booted thugs into the formerly highest court and put a bag over the heads of those justices that voted in assent, losd them on a plane, fly them around for a few hours, then lock them in a windowless room until they plead for the chance to recind this decision.

IMO, he is obligated to do something about it. Oath of office and all. Defend the Constitution,

Edited by Willfully Horn

As far as every future decision this court makes, what criteria do you think will be used other than how the ruling helps or hurts Donald Trump?

I know IANAL, but Sotomayor is, and fuck you if you find fault with my reasoning. Sotomayor:

The Court effectively creates a law-free zone around the President, upsetting the status quo that has existed since the Founding. … When he uses his official powers in any way, under the majority’s reasoning, he now will be insulated from criminal prosecution. Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune.”

Let the President violate the law, let him exploit the trappings of his office for personal gain, let him use his official power for evil ends. Because if he knew that he may one day face liability for breaking the law, he might not be as bold and fearless as we would like him to be.

That is the majority’s message today. 

Even if these nightmare scenarios never play out, and I pray they never do, the damage has been done. The relationship between the President and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power, the President is now a king above the law.”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

As far as every future decision this court makes, what criteria do you think will be used other than how the ruling helps or hurts Harlan Crowe/Leonard Leo/etc. Donald Trump?

FIFY

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

As far as every future decision this court makes, what criteria do you think will be used other than how the ruling helps or hurts Donald Trump?

I think one of the limiting principles will be the Court's estimation of how much the public will tolerate. I think they misjudged that in Dobbs and are trying to figure out how to cobble the next act together.

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I know IANAL, but Sotomayor is, and fuck you if you find fault with my reasoning. Sotomayor:

The Court effectively creates a law-free zone around the President, upsetting the status quo that has existed since the Founding. … When he uses his official powers in any way, under the majority’s reasoning, he now will be insulated from criminal prosecution. Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune.”

Let the President violate the law, let him exploit the trappings of his office for personal gain, let him use his official power for evil ends. Because if he knew that he may one day face liability for breaking the law, he might not be as bold and fearless as we would like him to be.

Even if these nightmare scenarios never play out, and I pray they never do, the damage has been done. The relationship between the President and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power, the President is now a king above the law.”

Sotomayor is a retard and her examples are typically stupid

But I will read the opinion and all the dissents when I get a chance.

• Fuck You 10

On 7/11/2024 at 12:26 PM, BHMCruiser said:

He was admonished for the opening two sentences AND the criticisms of partisan policy decisions and you will note that Judge Adelman caved under the scrutiny and tried to walk those comments back, but it was too late to do so. 

Criticizing decisions, even in extraordinarily harsh language, is fair game. But Adelman indulged in petulant whining and did not do a lot to advance his cause (in my opinion). 

Just like I should not have called his article "garbage." That was neither appropriate nor fair, but I was reacting to his narrative and his personal attacks on other members of the bench. 

2 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think one of the limiting principles will be the Court's estimation of how much the public will tolerate. I think they misjudged that in Dobbs and are trying to figure out how to cobble the next act together.

This fucking guy right here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Today????

That's been the message since 2017.

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

I stand by my criticisms of the "wise Latina"

Man, when your HS valedictorian counseled you to always "be true to yourself" they didn't mean be THAT true to yourself.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

What's really annoying is that if the majority had gone with Barrett they might have saved a little face but just couldn't do it. Barrett essentially agreed that immunity exists for official acts, but went on to say that the Court had enough of a record to determine that nothing that dotard was charged with was an official act, which is true, and which the lower court will almost certainly determine. The majority also had no reason whatsoever to go into the evidentiary rule that was only inserted to help trump by making the burden harder on the government. That's the part that really pisses me off. Roberts has no defense anymore to the legitimacy of his court. The Leo Court will be considered one of if not the worst including once he's long dead. The fact that he cares so little about his legacy is astonishing.

ftfy

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

tolerate. I think they misjudged that in Dobbs and are trying to figure out how to cobble the next act together.

Oh you think the decisions since Dodd show some type of moderation?

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Yeah, my snap judgement is that you don’t know what you are talking about.  

• Hook 'Em 1