Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They need to hire a coach and move Shaka to recruiting coordinator. 

Seriously, what prevents them from doing this?  We have to pay him anyway so make him work for it. If he wants to walk that is his choice and “no buyout”. If he mails it in, Fire for cause. 

Is there any rule that says you have to fire him to demote or replace him?  

Come on man.  You haven’t been around many H.S. kids and the recruiting wars.  No way studs are going to be recruited by a fired coach and play for another.  Dream on

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

it's because they don't care about basketball. It has little to do with being "too miserly". 

I actually think they would have more incentive to open their checkbooks if it was baseball. 

I mean, they are miserly, just selectively so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Coach Pierce, we need a great spring to wash this taste of shitty basketball out of our mouths. 

... unfortunately, the loss of Clemens was compounded by Hamilton’s Achilles injury. Somebody(ies) must step forward to make up for that HUGE hole in the offense AND the pitching must be “Texas” good. We shall see ...

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 minute ago, ruitxn said:

Come on man.  You haven’t been around many H.S. kids and the recruiting wars.  No way studs are going to be recruited by a fired coach and play for another.  Dream on

You're talking about the same fan base that had people wanting to promote Sterlin and move Charlie to DC a few years ago.

Tone deaf.

If we’re gonna keep Smart because we clear some ridiculously low and arbitrary hurdle like making the tournament or because we are too cheap, then we’re stuck with this shitshow for another year or two. I say let’s make this way more interesting. 

Reassign Smart as a bench coach and let McConaughey coach the team the rest of the way. Daily coverage on LHN. We are Marshall Texas and we’re running the veer. I’m 100% serious. 

• Like 2

Making the tourney is going to be pretty tough. The offense has improved since the beginning of the season but the defense, which was near elite, has fallen apart.

I don’t know if that’s related to personnel changes that have been made to improve the offense, but it’s something that must be addressed immediately if Shaka wants to keep his job. 

Question: Am I allowed to demand that everyone eat crow and admit that I've been spot about nearly everything Texas basketball related from 2016 to this point, or do I just have to be the one to take the abuse when I get stuff wrong, e.g. Sam Ehlinger and Alabama? I've been pretty humble these last few years, and I've even sat back quietly when I see people who don't even follow hoops or post here say things like, "Have you seen Derka's basketball takes?!", but for now I'm gonna go ahead and point out that I've been nailing this all along. Here's the thread about this year's team, started a year ago on shaggy:

(the link goes straight to post #12 as the first 11 posts are just people bitching at each other)

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/184481-Texas-basketball-the-2018-19-Longhorns?p=11827585&viewfull=1#post11827585

So many here faught me and derided me and claimed that I was just an overly negative Shaka hater, and vowed to bump the thread to make me eat crow when we kicked ass this season. Well, once again, it went the way I said it would. From individual players, to position groups, to the team. Been that way for a while now.

I don't wanna hear anybdoy whining about this post either. I took my lashings when I was wrong about Sam and Bama, and I'm gonna sit here today and remind everybody that I've never been a negative idiot, but simply a realist who does his homework and who calls it like he sees it, whether it's popular or not.  And I've been right, way more than I've been wrong about this program for a very long time now. I'm allowed to point that out, all things considered. Here's to hoping that the next coach is much, much better than this one. Hook em.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

03-18-2018, 05:46 PM

There really isn’t much in here that I’m going to disagree with, and I still think that we will be worse off than we were this year. Here’s why:

1)Lack of size and bodies in the post- unless we make some sort of unforeseen signing in that area, we are simply too weak there to not be exploited. DO and Sims have no cover. We’ve got Royce Hamm who couldn’t get any meaningful run this year, along with Jaxson Hayes who is so raw he wasn’t even starting in his HS team last year and is a redshirt candidate. Our two starting forwards both have glaring holes in their game, yet they both appear to be in line to average 30 minutes a night. Add to this our team’s general lack of rebounding competence, and we project to get killed on the glass and in the paint. And if we lose one of our starters for any reason we’ll be in even deeper trouble. This area is a huge red flag for me.

2)Lack of shooting- Our best shooter projects to be Jase Febres, and while his shot looks great and he has a reputation as a shooter, he only shot .301 this year and ended his season on a 3-19 skid. I’ve praised Matt Coleman and his shot from inside the arc, but he still has a long way to fit before becoming a competent 3-point shooter, and we’re also going to be relying on him for a lot more than his 3-point shooting. I think that next year can either be a guy who shoots a good percentage with a low 3PA, or a 34% volume shooter. Which means that at this point our best shooter projects to be Kerwin Roach- a sentence which simply can’t inspire confidence. We also have DO as our returning leader in 3PA, but even if he does improve on his poor .288 shooting, it also means that he’s still hanging around the perimeter, leaving our already undermanned post even thinner.

I don’t think we can overcome those two things. Our defense should still be good, but it will not be as good as it was this year with Mo Bamba anchoring the unit. You mentioned all of those close games we lost, but a big part of that was having one of the best defenses in the country. We were top 10 in AdjD all year- we won’t be in that rarefied air next year. Sims is an unreal athlete, but he’s not Bamba- not physically, and not mentally- Bamba was a special inside presence who won’t be easily replaced. So the D should still be good, but not top-of-the-country great again. 

We will be a poor rebounding team, likely a poor shooting team, and a team that will regress some defensively. We lose Bamba, there’s almost zero chance we get back the Andrew Jones from before his cancer- I just don’t like what I see.

Edited by Goo Punch

It’s always amusing how mad Derka gets when he’s wrong about something (Alabama and Ehlinger) and then how happy he gets when he’s right about something (Smart). 

You care entirely too much about being right on the internet.

People don’t make fun of you because of your bad takes it’s because you take this stuff way too seriously and personal. You’re an easy target because of how you react. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

It’s always amusing how mad Derka gets when he’s wrong about something (Alabama and Ehlinger) and then how happy he gets when he’s right about something (Smart). 

You care entirely too much about being right on the internet.

People don’t make fun of you because of your bad takes it’s because you take this stuff way too seriously and personal. You’re an easy target because of how you react. 

I didnt get mad about either of those things. What's amusing is the way you guys convince yourselves otherwise. Why would I have referenced the way I handled those cases and ate my crow if I had been the one to get all upset? It's you guys who get upset when I say things you don't like. I mean you're describing yourself in your own post- you literally quit the basketball board for months because everything you had ever said about the program, about Shaka, about DO, about Sims, about our recruits- everything you'd ever said was so obviously wrong you vanished. I never shied away from either thread when I was wrong, and I didn't get upset either. I ate my crow and moved on with life. Just like I didn't disappear towards the end of the Rick barnes era either. You need a very long look in the mirror my friend. You're describing yourself when you talk about people being upset about being wrong.

Edited by Goo Punch

Oh and as is tradition, everyone demanded for me eat crow if i was wrong, people lost their minds over my opinions on Ehlinger and Alabama, and were foaming at the mouth demanding my head for said opinions, but then when the tables are turned and I call for some crow I get negged and have TS12, the branding iron of shaggy, back here talking shit. Predictable. 

@texasstrong12 I'm being 100% serious here- after you and greggym left this board we went a couple months of essentially drama free posting about the Horns, with some of the most in depth and thought provoking conversations we've ever had here. I know that your combative nature is somehow lost on you, but believe me when I say that this board was and is better without you. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

@texasstrong12 I'm being 100% serious here- after you left this board we went a couple months of essentially drama free posting about the Horns, with some of the most in depth and bought provoking conversations we've ever had here. I know that your combative nature is somehow lost on you, but believe me when I say that this board is better without you. 

I've been here. I stay out dumpster fires because it's a waste of time.

Also, lol at "drama free'. I've had several posters PM over the last few weeks to read your drivel and other rants. It's always hilarious that you think people enjoy your takes and insight. They don't. But then again you live in your own world. 

As for the season this year, I was wrong. It doesn't bother me to admit I have some bad takes. Notice how I didn't call you out for your dumb ass Ehlinger/Alabama takes because I really don't care. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also, lol at "drama free'. I've had several posters PM over the last few weeks to read your drivel and other rants. It's always hilarious that you think people enjoy your takes and insight. They don't. But then again you live in your own world. 

As for the season this year, I was wrong. It doesn't bother me to admit I have some bad takes. 

you and other posters pm each other about my posts, all while you avoid actually posting here entirely, and you call that "avoiding the drama"? of course you do. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Getting this thread back on track...

In reading one of the 9.95 boards, the sense is Smart isn't going to be fired and will be here next year unless we just lose out. 

what i don't want happening is agricultural & mechanical firing kennedy and hiring buzz.  that would make me punch things. 

• Like 1

The two things I like, coming from the Rationals now, are:

Charlie Strong and Shaka Smart aren't comparable! Well, maybe, maybe not, but they both came in with a reputation as defensive coaches and if Smart's team can't play better defense than it did yesterday, what is the point? I watched enough Charlie Strong defenses give up 500+ yards and 40+ points, not sure why I have to watch our defensive savant basketball coach's team give up 98 points on 70% shooting too. 

The evolution of what will/should happen to Shaka. It's gone from "he's not going anywhere, nor should he" in the pre-season to "he deserves and will get more time, regardless of how 2019 goes" a few weeks ago, to "well, YOU can't afford his buyout, tee-hee tee-hee, he'll be back here next year, ha ha sucks for you". Like some of these assholes take real pleasure in knowing that a lot of us want Shaka fired and might not get that, because it means we'll just get more frustrated and suffer as Texas continues to monkeyfuck the basketball nightly.

And this is coming from people who have a purported love for the University of Texas, not some dipshit it hired to coach its basketball team. It gets hard to tell sometimes.

• Like 1

Also, I pray to Rick Sanchez that CDC can shmooze the right people, rub the right shoulders, and make certain promises to BMD's for their contributions towards reviving Texas basketball by helping with Shaka's buyout. Hell, tell em we'll pay em back with interest *and* name some shit after them at the new arena. Give them luxury suites, lifetime season tickets, pretend to give a shit about their input, give them your home and cell number, buy the guy's wife some Kendra Scott jewelry. Whatever it takes. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

As for the season this year, I was wrong. It doesn't bother me to admit I have some bad takes. Notice how I didn't call you out for your dumb ass Ehlinger/Alabama takes because I really don't care. 

since it doesn't bother you do admit you have some bad takes, are you ready to admit your were wrong about dylan osetkowski as well?  you were almost condescending in your defense of him last year because he had some double doubles.

he was then, and is now, a complete fucking waste of a scholarship.  and skaka plays him damn near 30 mpg.

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

since it doesn't bother you do admit you have some bad takes, are you ready to admit your were wrong about dylan osetkowski as well?  you were almost condescending in your defense of him last year because he had some double doubles.

he was then, and is now, a complete fucking waste of a scholarship.  and skaka plays him damn near 30 mpg.

Absolutely. He's been bad. 

33 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Also, I pray to Rick Sanchez that CDC can shmooze the right people, rub the right shoulders, and make certain promises to BMD's for their contributions towards reviving Texas basketball by helping with Shaka's buyout. Hell, tell em we'll pay em back with interest *and* name some shit after them at the new arena. Give them luxury suites, lifetime season tickets, pretend to give a shit about their input, give them your home and cell number, buy the guy's wife some Kendra Scott jewelry. Whatever it takes. 

I'm concerned about the politics behind the scenes. If anyone can sort it out, it's CDC, but Texas athletics never makes things easy for itself in these situations (except for when we lost to Kansas in football).

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

there are going to be a lot more losses.  the team very well could finish under .500.  that happens and how the fuck is it so political?

I posted on this thread two or three pages ago, but there's a big-time donor who is squarely in Shaka's corner.

Asking around, apparently this guy also has his hand in other non-basketball projects, so CDC can't afford to just brush him aside.

i know that.  i just don't understand how someone can get to a point in life where they are able to buy some level of influence while being fine with absolutely mediocre results.  i can't imagine that they are ok with with these type of results professionally so why are they ok here?  all one has to do is look at tom herman and the football program to see how much more fun this all is when your team is winning.

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i know that.  i just don't understand how someone can get to a point in life where they are able to buy some level of influence while being fine with absolutely mediocre results.  i can't imagine that they are ok with with these type of results professionally so why are they ok here?  all one has to do is look at tom herman and the football program to see how much more fun this all is when your team is winning.

yeah, but that's under the assumption they even care about basketball. They care about results professionally because it has an impact on their life. The average joe doesn't care about basketball as much as posters in this thread do. 

I'm betting most of these BMDs are just average joe fans that only care about football. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

yeah, but that's under the assumption they even care about basketball. They care about results professionally because it has an impact on their life. The average joe doesn't care about basketball as much as posters in this thread do. 

I'm betting most of these BMDs are just average joe fans that only care about football. Maybe I'm wrong. 

We had to go the multipurpose arena route for the new basketball facility, which allowed CDC to sidestep asking for money from boosters.

I have grave doubts about our commitment bto excellence in basketball.

Edited by Machinator

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I posted on this thread two or three pages ago, but there's a big-time donor who is squarely in Shaka's corner.

Asking around, apparently this guy also has his hand in other non-basketball projects, so CDC can't afford to just brush him aside.

I don’t buy this. I believe that people are circulating this, but it sounds like fresh bullshit. This season is headed towards another dumpster fire and that’s a problem with the new arena efforts well under way. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don’t buy this. I believe that people are circulating this, but it sounds like fresh bullshit. This season is headed towards another dumpster fire and that’s a problem with the new arena efforts well under way. 

I hope you're right.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's fair but who is Texas going to hire to generate excitement?

Beard who is .500 in the Big 12? Buzz who has made it past the Sweet 16 one time in his 12 year career? 

I get the argument but I think Texas is going to have a tough time finding a replacement that generates excitement. But that's why CDC is paid the big bucks so maybe he can pull a rabbit out of a hat. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's fair but who is Texas going to hire to generate excitement?

Beard who is .500 in the Big 12? Buzz who has made it past the Sweet 16 one time in his 12 year career? 

I get the argument but I think Texas is going to have a tough time finding a replacement that generates excitement. But that's why CDC is paid the big bucks so maybe he can pull a rabbit out of a hat. 

Some of you will lose your shit over this, but what if Royal Ivey were considered a candidate? The former players would for sure be excited. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Some of you will lose your shit over this, but what if Royal Ivey were considered a candidate? The former players would for sure be excited. 

The crazy thing is that you are not the first person I've seen to float this idea this week.

I remember we were considering him as an assistant when Morrell left for UNCA.

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don't know about Royal Ivey but I wouldn't hate Texas going outside of the box with a hire because the coaching market is shit.

If they can't pull a top tier coach there isn't much. The two names that come to mind are Buzz Williams and Musselman and those don't exactly get me excited. I do think they are good coaches. 

Outside the box type hire is as much a crap shoot type hire as hiring somebody like Beard or Musselman IMO. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic